DRM Software

Rixirite

Has DRM software gone too far?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think DRM has gone too far?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

@Rixirite, You just explained why I didn't buy DoW2, GTAIV & many others even though I might have loved the games

as a matter of fact I almost didn't get Fallout3 but thanks a number of factors I ended up buying a collector's & 2 GOTY editions. one was a gift.

I refuse to buy any single player game that requires an internet connection to play, when I buy a product I shouldn't have to ask permission to use the thing. Ubisoft and now EA are on my "avoid" list, I'm sick and tired of being punished for buying games while pirates enjoy them with none of the issues we face.

@Rixirite, You just explained why I didn't buy DoW2, GTAIV & many others even though I might have loved the games

as a matter of fact I almost didn't get Fallout3 but thanks a number of factors I ended up buying a collector's & 2 GOTY editions. one was a gift.

Fallout 3 was quite good, the DRM was on the launcher rather than the game, running the game directly from the .exe or via FOMM didn't require a disk. I only use my disk for changing settings.

Unfortunately, Ubisoft will be blaming the pirates for their reduced sales instead of their inane DRM. Many - like me will never buy a game with this problem DRM. And many others who would have bought a legal copy will now become pirates just to play a game they would have been happy to pay for. The pirates are going to find a way to steal it no matter what. This just penalizes the legitimate purchaser.

Not everyone has broadband, or even reliable connections. Not every game player lives in an urban area where broadband is available. Others cannot afford it. Those in rural communities that rely on satellite and lower bandwidth services are screwed. By my best guess, Ubisoft has left about 20% of their market ex market with no way to legally play the game.

Score: Pirates 1, Ubisoft 0, Me 0, You ?

I do have FO3, and have never gone online or GWFL with it - Like many I really don't need any of the bogus 'services' that are supposed to make it 'better' somehow.

Unfortunately, Ubisoft will be blaming the pirates for their reduced sales instead of their inane DRM.

Of course. That's their plan. And it's a page taken straight ouf of the xxAA's playbook: alienate customers and blame the pirates for the resulting reduced sales. Nevermind the fact that sales are actually increasing, or that the pirates actually buy MORE: a not-insignificant number of "pirates" actually buy the stuff they like, and are more likely to buy future games from the same developer. I'm sure that many even here fall into that category, but won't admit it. :ninja:

There is a method to their madness if you look. This sudden spike in Draconian Restrictions Management is undoubtedly linked to ACTA. With negotiations on the treaty resuming next month, the intentions of Ubisoft and EA are quite clear. They'll point to their new DRM, whine about how even that didn't help, spin some statistics, and plunk a few bribes on the table in a desperate attempt to force ISPs to do their work for them.

Also, did you hear that EA is going to be charging 10-15$ for the demo for Battlefield 1943?

For a demo? My god. "The year is 2014, all the game companies release demos to get consumers to try thier product, with the charge of 20 USD people can try out a game before they buy it in full retail price. Why does new technology seem repressive rather than cool?

I voted "maybe". I must admit they do this in a must annoying way, but don´t forget who is really to blame for this: THE PIRATE. :thumbsup:

But these companies punish the legit people who buy the game for it.

Would you buy a car and then have to check in with the dealer each time you wanted to drive it? No, you wouldn't. So why should gamers? Honest people are being punished for other people's mis-deeds. It will encourage piracy instead of defeat it. Hell, you can't even re-sell some of these games now, due to accounts being tied to them.

Piss-poor way to treat one's honest paying public in my opinion.

I voted "maybe". I must admit they do this in a must annoying way, but don´t forget who is really to blame for this: THE PIRATE. :thumbsup:

But these companies punish the legit people who buy the game for it.

Would you buy a car and then have to check in with the dealer each time you wanted to drive it? No, you wouldn't. So why should gamers? Honest people are being punished for other people's mis-deeds. It will encourage piracy instead of defeat it. Hell, you can't even re-sell some of these games now, due to accounts being tied to them.

Piss-poor way to treat one's honest paying public in my opinion.

That´s why I voted maybe, I am in a h::ll of a dilemma here. If we didn´t have pirates we didn´t have this problem, so they are the first to blame. However I think, without having any proof, that the gaming industry, will be the next to blame fo 2 things; 1 DRM is the easiest solution, 2 when you are on-line they have the possibility to profile you with cookies, thus enhancing other marketings pointed towards you.

I personally think that the gaming compagnies should give up DRM, and I think we also need a GREAT change of moral amongst certaint people in society.

I watched a program about the subject, it was music instead of games. Theese people had this attitude, that this music on the internet was there FOR THEM. FOR FREE. When ask what should the artists do for the living if they got no money, they answered back that it was not their problem. If they had no more money to make music, there would be others. This way of thinking I am afraid we will see more and more. Selfish, and when subject is used, find another one. We need a radically change in the way of thinking within this group of people, that by the way range from 17-45 years. It is not just young people that are doing this.

Would I still buy a DRM game? I simply don´t know. It gonna be damned good.