Does time exsist?

Keanumoreira

Does time exsist? Now your probley wondering what on Earth is this guy talking about? Now hear me out, at the end it could change your opinion. Now we all know that humans are brilliant creatures. However, were we so brilliant that we invented time only to ourselves? If you look beyond the Earth you will see that time is an enigma, but why? The reason why is because it isn't there, there is no such thing as time. Time is just an imaginary thought, created by those who seek to understand the world around them. Can you actually see time, can you feel it, can you taste it, can you smell it, can you hear it? Clocks do not count, they are just machines orbiting around numbers. But what about day and night cycles? That isn't time either, those are just signs to know that a certain point in the day is approaching. But isn't that time? No because time as we call it relys on the sun, no sun no time. Why is that? Again it dosen't exsist. If time were real it wouldn't need a star to activate, it would work throughout the universe on its own. Sure watches tell us the so called time, but again without the sun there would be no watches if humans still could live on the Earth somehow. In nature animals don't follow time they follow the physical day and night cycles as well as instinct to get them where they need to go and what to do, they don't wait for "time" they wait for these signals. So in my opinion time isn't real, but then again this is a debate so what do you think? (OBTW, for those who keep asking me and future ones, I don't believe time to be a full human concept. What I meant is that I don't believe it exsists here in the third demension, but I do believe it exsists in others such as the fourth since you can see your timeline of your past and future events spread before you.)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol..

Hey its not often I hear something that I have come to believe but is not a common thing such as this. Another-words I totally agree. Time docent exist ... but movement does. So we base time off movement and have incorporated it into our everyday lives and ways of thinking. I tell my wife every so often that time docent exist... only movement. I'm no scholar but when you hit your mid thirty's (at least for me) you start to realize things. After being born we are taught things (programed) and we go on in our lives believing these things. Ever stop and wonder if something is real, legit, or should be looked at differently. Not bragging or anything but I'm usually right on these things. Religion.. do we go there???? Yea why not...... Ok dont get mad if you believe .........Ok no details I'll summon it up in two words. Religion is "Crowd Control". - End of that subject- Take a look at the weather channels... I use to tell my wife there missing something (meteorologist). I remember telling her there was something other than temperature and humidity that makes some days seem hotter.... "It's UV rays of some sort" I'd tell my wife..... Look today they are starting to add a UV index to some weather details. Well enough rambling...... yea your right and dont let them tell u differently un less thy have an Eisenstein formula to prove it.

Does time exsist?
It's like saying does moral exists.

However, were we so brilliant that we invented time only to ourselves?
Don't you also think that we invented morals only to ourselves (besides the fact of the incredibly complicated structure of morals, primitive man cannot make it)

If you look beyond the Earth you will see that time is an enigma, but why?
It's stupid for aliens (IF THEY EXISTS) to think there is nothing called time.

The reason why is because it isn't there, there is no such thing as time. Time is just an imaginary thought, created by those who seek to understand the world around them.
Like morals, it's created, not real.

Can you actually see time, can you feel it, can you taste it, can you smell it, can you hear it?
Yup, we can't see, feel, taste, smell and hear it. But we KNEW that moral (and maybe time) exists.

Clocks do not count, they are just machines orbiting around numbers.
And morals doesn't even have something real to convice us that moral exists. We can only know moral exists because what humans do.

But what about day and night cycles? That isn't time either, those are just signs to know that a certain point in the day is approaching.
If that's true, then moral doesn't exists because what humans morally do are just "signs".

But isn't that time? No because time as we call it relys on the sun, no sun no time. Why is that? Again it dosen't exsist. If time were real it wouldn't need a star to activate, it would work throughout the universe on its own. Sure watches tell us the so called time, but again without the sun there would be no watches if humans still could live on the Earth somehow.
So without humans existing, then morals wouldn't exists. Quite makes sense.

In nature animals don't follow time they follow the physical day and night cycles as well as instinct to get them where they need to go and what to do, they don't wait for "time" they wait for these signals.
These "signals" are things that shows that time exists. Just like what humans morally do shows that morals exists.

So in my opinion time isn't real, but then again this is a debate so what do you think?
Time (and of course moral) is real and exists. Maybe not day or night, but how about seconds and hours ? You don't need the sun to do that right ?

Well, I might 100% wrong. If there is someone who can change my mind, I gladly will.

Time...

Time is a series of events organized into a linear path. though time is not a creation of man, we were brilliant enough to create the organized concept of time. Though many may argue that time can be followed by animals, such as a flock of geese heading south for the winter, this time is seasonal and very general.

I believe I have said it on these forums before, but the origin of 'modern time' has its origins in the United States. It is all a unfortunate side effect of industrialization that began in Europe. Exhibit A....

In ancient times, time was calculated by the rising and setting of the sun. There were no exact measurements of time, even in the days of the romans. Sun-Dials were about the most advanced things ever got before the dawn of the industrial revolution.

Exhibit B: The creation of industrialization, and the beginning of modern time.

When factories began appearing all over G.B., the peasantry no longer worked from sun-up to sun-down. They were now at the mercy of the corporations when it came to how long they worked. This required a new system of time. This more organized system of time revolutionized time, and increased the amount peasants spent in a factory.

Now comes the age of railroads. Time up until now was not synchronized throughout the earth. Time was an instrument of corporation, and they decided when noon was. In November of 1883, the age of time was moved upwards by the advent of time-zones. Time-zones were invented in order to keep Rail-Roads efficient and keep trains from colliding. Soon after, the world caught on, and so came the age of standardized time.

As you can see, time as we know it did not grow on a tree. It was actually an invention of man. Animals hold a very small sense of spatial time through biological adaptation, but man holds the key of understanding the shifting patterns of the sun.

Took me a little bit to write this actually. Wanted to be accurate.

Sources that were found to support my words...

http://library.thinkquest.org/C008179/historical/basichistory.html

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/11/dayintech_1118

In ancient times, time was calculated by the rising and setting of the sun. There were no exact measurements of time, even in the days of the romans. Sun-Dials were about the most advanced things ever got before the dawn of the industrial revolution.

I think you are forgetting about the Mayans. Their measure of time and space were much more advanced than the Romans. So advanced in fact that NASA had a difficult time trying to be more accurate than them!

Reference

CALENDAR 7. HAAB’ - 365 days . 18 Months of 20 days with a 5-day celebration cycle called Vayab. This is the most famous Mayan calendar and the most exact Mayan calendar. According to NASA it is .00000001 accurate to the atomic clock calendar. Within a 180,000 year cycle there is only a one day adjustment needed to keep this calendar accurate. There are controversies about the beginning of the Haab calendar between Mayan tribes.

Regarding the OP, I think we are all rigged to an animation setup in a very large Blender application. :tongue:

The stage of quality in measuring time as the sequence of events and thus as a momentous 'priestly control system' of the ancient to bring a social group in line, is almost useless even for an ancient agricultural society based upon moon-aided crop rotation, if one has no events at hand to fill past time sequences chronologically - the proof of authority - with legends, myth and lore, the names and deeds of the ancestors (knowledge we've almost completely lost, cos who among you still knows the name of his grand-grandfather and his job?). Only if one has such important information then a backdated chronology of the members of the group behind the measuring system appears - their historical 'sitz-im-leben', their history within history. Not easy for us today to find correlations to datable events known to us to date a group of the past and their actions precisely, with a chronological aberration of one generation we have to reckon, as for instance in the case of the Jewish 'fundamentalists' behind the Dead Sea Scrolls.

You see - the knowledge of time (and time-related events) is an all-important instrument for those who once aimed at social control, of the present, the future as well as of the past history of man. Today it is probably adequate to buy a Swiss watch with balance spring to know for whom the bell tolls...

http://www.greensmilies.com/smile/smiley_emoticons_unknownauthor_lady.gif

When you fly outta space, for like 20 years, and you come back to earth, 40 years have past. Example: one of Two twins (both are 20) flies around in the space for 20 years (he thinks he is in space for 20 years.) When he comes back to earth then, he is 40, but his brother is 60.

You must think like this: time exists. But only on the earth, for us humans. We invented the "time". We need it to know When to work, When to do anything, When to sleep, When to wake up...

As a measure of passing quantity, time is subjective and dependent on referential unities that are arbitrary. To the standing point of universe itself it has as much meaning as space, they are absolute and as such does not makes for a useful referential. The interval they form is what brings meaning for the things created by the universe own creation, reality exists in the space-time interval, we could say reality exist in the here and now.

But when universe fundamentals agglutinated to form the increasing complexes bodies, they become separated by that interval. The absolute standing point for where they exist absolutely implies than what we observe under our particular "here and now" depend on the time the information gets to us, which depends on the distance the object is from us since the faster information is limited to the space-time that rules the greater velocity to mass doted bodies is near C and C confound with velocity of light, almost massless photons.

That relation is somewhat well known and studied and precise if no internal moments needs to be taken into account. It's given by a quadratic relation

'gama'm = m /squareroot (1 - (v²/c²) )

That is a much simplified equation but enough to the proposed level of math requisites. where 'gama'm is called relativistic mass and the quotient tends to zero when v tends to c because it becomes 1 - 1 when v = c

The most common information we get from the above equation is than the mass approaches infinite at the limit when the body velocity approaches that of the light. Actually preventing a massive body can reach the light velocity.

Since space-time is an interval, it's possible to find the relativistic time reduces in proportion to the relativistic mass increase (sorry it can't be directly inferred here but can be searched for more informations). The meaning is any body moving at near the light speed has it's time reduced, it pass slowly for that body relatively to other at lower speed. What seems to be a day for the quick moving object may be an year for other at much lower relative speed.

That's is the meaning to MonsterHunterMaster's post, not only by flying in space, it's needed the 'ship' is flying near the light velocity, at relativistic values, BTW.

The reason is simple and can be obtained from the same above equation, if v is too small in relation to c the quotient tends to 1 and the relativistic mass and the intrinsic mass (sometimes called resting mass) differs by insignificant values, and so the time.

PS: My original intent to present time as dependent from mass-energy would be too much complex and beyond the forum scope.