Quick Questions, Quick Answers

Mattiewagg

I can't solve an issue that is bugging me for some time. I am making a very simple mod : I wan't my vampire character to be shot on sight by the guards and general population, like in Morrowind.

Simply adding the player to the VampirePCFaction accomplishes just that.

Due to the fact that many vampirism overhauls touch this faction, it made a duplicate of it, called VampirePCFaction_new, for compatibility reasons.

I noticed that not only is VampirePCFaction enemy of the crime factions, but the crime factions are enemies of VampirePCFaction as well. Aren't faction relations symmetric? Anyway, I edited the Crime factions as well, and gave them an Enemy relation towards VampirePCFaction_new

Still, if I add myself to the new faction ("player.addfac XXXXXX 0" command in console), nothing happens. If i add myself to the VampirePCFaction, guards start to attack right on.

I check my mod in TES5Edit, no dirty edits, everything seems to be in order.

What am I missing? Is there a special flag or something to turn on attacking?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't solve an issue that is bugging me for some time. I am making a very simple mod : I wan't my vampire character to be shot on sight by the guards and general population, like in Morrowind.

Due to the fact that many vampirism overhauls touch this faction, it made a duplicate of it, called VampirePCFaction_new, for compatibility reasons.

I noticed that not only is VampirePCFaction enemy of the crime factions, but the crime factions are enemies of VampirePCFaction as well. Aren't faction relations symmetric? Anyway, I edited the Crime factions as well, and gave them an Enemy relation towards VampirePCFaction_new

Still, if I add myself to the new faction ("player.addfac XXXXXX 0" command in console), nothing happens. If i add myself to the VampirePCFaction, guards start to attack right on.

Right click VampirePCFaction and have a look at Use Info for it.

You'll notice there's a quest associated to the faction (PlayerVampireQuest, Start Game enabled and it never ends).

Attached to the Quest is a script (VampireQuestScript).

That script has a property for the VampirePCFaction.

That property is called in multiple events/functions and the code shortly after it is added.

int cfIndex = 0
               while (cfIndex < CrimeFactions.GetSize())
;                     Debug.Trace("VAMPIRE: Setting enemy flag on " + CrimeFactions.GetAt(cfIndex))
                    (CrimeFactions.GetAt(cfIndex) as Faction).SetPlayerEnemy()
                    cfIndex += 1
                endwhile

Took 2 secs to find that, but I didn't look into how it all works or fires (vampire just doesn't interest me at all).

Right click VampirePCFaction and have a look at Use Info for it.

You'll notice there's a quest associated to the faction (PlayerVampireQuest, Start Game enabled and it never ends).

Attached to the Quest is a script (VampireQuestScript).

That script has a property for the VampirePCFaction.

That property is called in multiple events/functions and the code shortly after it is added.

int cfIndex = 0
               while (cfIndex < CrimeFactions.GetSize())
;                     Debug.Trace("VAMPIRE: Setting enemy flag on " + CrimeFactions.GetAt(cfIndex))
                    (CrimeFactions.GetAt(cfIndex) as Faction).SetPlayerEnemy()
                    cfIndex += 1
                endwhile

Took 2 secs to find that, but I didn't look into how it all works or fires (vampire just doesn't interest me at all).

Thanks for the help!

I thought the issue lied in the faction relations, not in an added quest/script.

I wonder if there is a mod that prevents you from choosing other major guilds when you choose one. For example if I go to thieves guild it will block mages and jorrvaskr for me. I searched for a while and found nothing like that, probably wasn't looking good enough.

I think you would need to modify the dialog topics to prevent them from showing up for the player to show interest in joining. A faction check to ensure the player is not in X, Y, Z factions seems the way to go. Take a look at Enhanced Skyrim Factions - The Companions Guild. The author in that mod blocked members of the thieves guild from being able to join the companions. It may give you an idea of what to look for to set up a mod which does exactly what you are looking to achieve.

Is there anyway to make sure an item doesn't show in the "sell" area for a merchant other than being marked as stolen or a quest item? Perhaps a formlist of items you can't sell?

I'm going to sound dumb, but I honestly don't remember how selling stuff in Skyrim works. If it works like it did in Oblivion where merchants will only buy items of certain categories, you can probably make a new category that items are moved to by some kind of script. Since it's a new category, it wouldn't be included as a valid category for sale with any NPCs.

Is there anyway to make sure an item doesn't show in the "sell" area for a merchant other than being marked as stolen or a quest item? Perhaps a formlist of items you can't sell?

Put "VendorNoSale" keyword on your item.

This way if the Merchant uses the VendorItemsMisc list flagged as Not Sell/Buy (merchant buys/sells anything) then your item won't show

Don't add any of the other 25 VendorItemXXXXXX Keywords to your item.

This way if the merchant uses any of the other VendorItemsXXXXX Lists they won't sell or buy your item.

Edit:

Following the above logic for the vanilla game or standard merchants would work fine...

But I don't think there's a foolproof method that I'm aware of (Yet).

If a mod has a custom merchant and they use any list that is not VendorItemsMisc or VendorItemsMiscLucan lists, then they flag the list as Not Sell/Buy, then your item may show.

"VendorNoSale" keyword is only in 2 of the 15 VendorItemsXXXXX lists.

When it comes to what mod authors do when creating mods with merchants, you never know what they will do.

These are vanilla items though, and you can't remove Keywords. So they already have the other keywords on them. Will it still work or no?

(While I was waiting for an answer I may have scripted the entire thing to just give a confirm message if you try to sell and undo it if you do and say you didn't want to, so I'm not going to unscript that until I confirm that your way works with vanilla items too. :tongue: Also, I want it to be configurable whether or not you allow selling, so this might actually not work if it's keywords, since you can't remove Keywords.)

EDIT: And does HasKeyword work on an item if the keyword was added via alias?

Edited by Mattiewagg

Not sure with the Alias and HasKeyword when it comes to vendor list, I'll check it out as I have a merchant test I was playing with before I posted.

if the Alias method works then for merchants that buy anything (they use VendorItemsMisc list flagged as No Buy/Sell) then VendorNoSale on the alias may work.

But for any of the other vendors that have use a vendor list that has other keywords on your item pre Alias, then I can't see it working.

Brief test with VendorNoSale keyword on Alias and Alias holding an item, appears the the alias keyword is ignored by the vendor (Keyword had no effect and the item was able to be sold to the vendor, Vendor was using a VendorItemsMisc list flagged as Not Sell/Buy, in other words buys anything without the VendorNoSale or VendorIemKey keyword).

So looks like the keyword method is of the table for your situation then.