Quick Questions, Quick Answers

Mattiewagg

Here's a question;

What do the Wood Elves in Valenwood make arrow shafts out of.... They can't use wood because of the green pact, I know they often make composite bows out of horn and bone fibers, I know they use stone and bone primarily to make clubs, knives, and probably short blades too... but what do they make the arrow shafts out of? The main reason why I ask is because I'm working on a fairly extensive weapons and armor mod that will add weapons and armor (that are lore friendly and make sense) from all of the different provinces. If anyone can help me out here with a reasonable answer that would be greatly appreciated.

The wiki states they usually make their bows from treated and shaped bone. My guess would be that whatever they treat the bone with makes it flexible. It wouldn't be a very big leap to say they make arrow shafts from bone and treat it the same way.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That wasn't helpful. I now know what Auto is for. That leaves 99% of my post unexplained.

Understanding the linkage between scripts and objects in the game is important so you may want to look through the Papyrus tutorials to see some of the different ways they are used. Just treating Papyrus as a programming language will definitely leave you confused about how it all works.

Papyrus scripts are the equivalent of class definitions on other languages. Scripts must be associated with some object in the game and then every instance of that game object has a matching run-time instance of the script (or scripts) attached to it. The system is entirely event-driven with the game acting as the event manager. And unlike most other programming languages multi-threading and parallelism are the norm so object locking plays an important role in object and script interactions.

Auto properties are filled in the CK, so to find the specific value filling that property you have to find which object in the CK has that script attached then look at the property assignments given to the script by that object. In some cases scripts are used by multiple objects and the properties are filled with different values for each object.

I installed a mod that retextures the vanilla female armor. I don't want it to retexture the nightingale armor, since i like that the way it is by default. Is there a way to do that without turning off the other retextures?

thanks

I like to use globals sometimes. You can set them externally and look at them externally with GetFormFromFile too.

Globals are nice if your values are used passively. The problem is that if you need to take some action in addition to changing the value you have to code that somewhere.

In the case of key mappings you also need to register and unregister them every time you change them. If you use a global variable to hold the key mapping you would still need to call a function to register and unregister the key. Wrapping the two actions together in a custom property hides the details from other scripts.

You can't call arbitrary functions on a script from the console, but you can use the setpqv command to set arbitrary properties. So if you define a full property you can let users call your functions directly using a console command. As an example there's "setpqv inigostatus steed allow" from the (soon to be released) Inigo 2.1 which you can use if you get to Falskaar and want Inigo to be able to ride a horse there. Gary (A.K.A. SmartBlueCat) didn't want to make SKSE or SkyUI a requirement and it didn't seem natural to do "this worldspace is OK for riding" in dialogue, so I made it (and a few other things) properties that can be set from the console. (In that case steed is a string property and you can set it to allow, forbid, stable, summon, follow, wait, or status.)

Am I able to add "endless ocean" to a heightmap in the creation kit, or do I have to add enough water space around an island (so the player can't see the edge) when making the original heightmap?

Here's a question;

What do the Wood Elves in Valenwood make arrow shafts out of.... They can't use wood because of the green pact, I know they often make composite bows out of horn and bone fibers, I know they use stone and bone primarily to make clubs, knives, and probably short blades too... but what do they make the arrow shafts out of? The main reason why I ask is because I'm working on a fairly extensive weapons and armor mod that will add weapons and armor (that are lore friendly and make sense) from all of the different provinces. If anyone can help me out here with a reasonable answer that would be greatly appreciated.

The wiki states they usually make their bows from treated and shaped bone. My guess would be that whatever they treat the bone with makes it flexible. It wouldn't be a very big leap to say they make arrow shafts from bone and treat it the same way.

Thanks for the answer, but can I get the link to that wiki article... I'm not being lazy, I did look it up myself... I just can't seem to find the specific one you were talking about. Thanks again :)

Here's a question;

Thanks for the answer, but can I get the link to that wiki article... I'm not being lazy, I did look it up myself... I just can't seem to find the specific one you were talking about. Thanks again :smile:

It's the second paragraph in Weaponry. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Bosmer

Edited by ke38290

Here's a question;

Thanks for the answer, but can I get the link to that wiki article... I'm not being lazy, I did look it up myself... I just can't seem to find the specific one you were talking about. Thanks again :smile:

It's the second paragraph in Weaponry. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Bosmer

Thanks so much, this article is a big help :)

That wasn't helpful. I now know what Auto is for. That leaves 99% of my post unexplained.

Sorry, I don't have time to hold your hand personally through remedial Papyrus scripting. Given you have shown yourself to be incapable of locating any of the hundreds of tutorials online, and in fact have apparently never even bothered to click the "Properties" button in the UI - something a person trying to investigate properties generally should do - it appears that trying to explain anything to with a level of detail that you actually require is probably a full time job.

The information you request is readily available. There are video tutorials, text tutorials, audio tutorials, and god knows what else out there that answer all of your questions. Some of them are linked to on that very page I sent you to earlier! Try typing "Creation Kit property" into any search engine. Or just click around on that website I sent you to for a half an hour or so. Hell, just click around in the CK for about ten minutes.

If you want me to be your personal tutor my rates start at $25/hour.

Sorry, I don't have time to hold your hand personally through remedial Papyrus scripting. Given you have shown yourself to be incapable of locating any of the hundreds of tutorials online, and in fact have apparently never even bothered to click the "Properties" button in the UI - something a person trying to investigate properties generally should do - it appears that trying to explain anything to with a level of detail that you actually require is probably a full time job.

The information you request is readily available. There are video tutorials, text tutorials, audio tutorials, and god knows what else out there that answer all of your questions. Some of them are linked to on that very page I sent you to earlier! Try typing "Creation Kit property" into any search engine. Or just click around on that website I sent you to for a half an hour or so. Hell, just click around in the CK for about ten minutes.

If you want me to be your personal tutor my rates start at $25/hour.

Excuse you, I did not ask for anyone to "hold my hand". I provided an entire script in the event it was needed for context because I believe in being thorough. I then singled out and asked for clarification on a single line of code. And for your information, I did go over the Creation Kit site and Google looking for references and answers to my questions but found nothing to clear up my confusion. Your pathetic excuse for "help" amounted to nothing more than telling me to "go look it up" something I had been doing and continued to do even after making my post. Ultimately I did find what I was looking for but in no way thanks to you and your lofty opinion of yourself. If explaining a single line of code is so far beneath you then why the f*#@ did you feel the need to even respond to me.