Does any one use Nexus Mod Manager anymore?

Madcatm2

Quoting Morrowind: "Why walk when you can ride".

Morrowind thaught me how mods work, what kind stucture they're using and how to mess your mods up and fix them, it was manual installations "golden age".

Oblivion had Oblivion Mod Manager and Wrye Bash. Its made uninstalling and handling mods faster and easier, but if you overwrote file several times from several different mod it still went messy. Restoring game to vanilla state still meant copying over backup copy of game as easiest solution.

Skyrim has NMM, been using it long time and its fairly good tool. Its easy to use and understand for beginners. Its doesnt require you to understand mods struckture or BAIN installers anymore. For many ppl its been first mod management tool. It helps you to keep track on updates and tells you, what mod files you are overwriting with another mod. But NMM has its limits and sometimes its just bit moody :smile: And no, I never had any serious issues with NMM.

Half year ago i finally tried MO (from curiosity) and I really like control what it gives me on installations. I can merge them later if I want to, rename them, keep same mod in different varioations for different characters. I dont have to worry where can i find replacement file for mod what i want to remove, but what overwrote files from another mod. I dont have "what texture to keep" dilemma if two texture packs have same files in their archives. I can keep both and choose later. MO doest make my game data folder into huge mess and its easier to find what file belongs to what mod. Its very powerful tool, but it requires basic knowledge how mods work.

Manual install taught me to "walk", its gave me basic understanding and MO is so far best tool to operate ("ride") with that knowledge and manage your mod bit more convenient way.

All options are viable, depends of your experiences and how many mods you're using. I just cant see reason to walk myself anymore :smile:

Many users have never understood that NMM is NOT a Skyrim mod manager. and not even a Beth games mod manager - it is a generic mod manager. Intended to be used for many games, including Skyrim, and even across various game engines. (currently 17 games, but more could be added at any time) In order to do that it doesn't do some things that a mod manager specifically intended for a single game can - Such as OBMM for Oblivion. And more recently Mod Organizer (MO) which is intended for Skyrim ( but works on the other Bethsoft games as well) MO does not support the other (non Bethsoft) games at all, and does not pretend to.

NMM, is designed to work with the Nexus sites, but is not required to use the mods. And does include a feature that allows mods downloaded from other sites to be used with it as well. It is made to be as simple to use as possible so even neophytes who know absolutely nothing about mods or file structure and where things go can use it. If you do know more, maybe you would prefer to download manually? And maybe just use NMM to install the manually downloaded mods from a file instead. Or not use it at all. Or use a more Skyrim centric mod manager instead. Your choice as NMM is completely optional.

Unlike the other mod managers, NMM is open source - anyone - even you - can download the source code and look at it - Then submit actual code for possible inclusion in a later release. Or check it for bugs and submit a bug report. Or even submit the code for a bug fix. :thumbsup:

Many users have never understood that NMM is NOT a Skyrim mod manager. and not even a Beth games mod manager - it is a generic mod manager.

This. NMM isn't necessarily meant to be just for one game - and for ALL those it works for, I find it remarkably easy to use. Are there bugs? Yes. Does MO have bugs? Of course.

It's all really a matter of preference. What YOU prefer - more control, but a less intuitive (let's say simple to avoid controversy - no one can deny NMM is simpler) interface, or less control and bits and bobs, but a far simpler UI.

And again - just because NMM is simpler does NOT mean it is worse or stupider. The basis of all these arguments is that people have different opinions on two very different mod managers, both of which have pros and cons, like anything. Try them both, or stick with one. It's your choice.

• 6 months later...

Many users have never understood that NMM is NOT a Skyrim mod manager. and not even a Beth games mod manager - it is a generic mod manager. Intended to be used for many games, including Skyrim, and even across various game engines. (currently 17 games, but more could be added at any time) In order to do that it doesn't do some things that a mod manager specifically intended for a single game can - Such as OBMM for Oblivion. And more recently Mod Organizer (MO) which is intended for Skyrim ( but works on the other Bethsoft games as well) MO does not support the other (non Bethsoft) games at all, and does not pretend to.

NMM, is designed to work with the Nexus sites, but is not required to use the mods. And does include a feature that allows mods downloaded from other sites to be used with it as well. It is made to be as simple to use as possible so even neophytes who know absolutely nothing about mods or file structure and where things go can use it. If you do know more, maybe you would prefer to download manually? And maybe just use NMM to install the manually downloaded mods from a file instead. Or not use it at all. Or use a more Skyrim centric mod manager instead. Your choice as NMM is completely optional.

Unlike the other mod managers, NMM is open source - anyone - even you - can download the source code and look at it - Then submit actual code for possible inclusion in a later release. Or check it for bugs and submit a bug report. Or even submit the code for a bug fix. :thumbsup:

And this is one of the main reasons I prefer NMM to MO. I can have all my crap in one place. I mean sure, most of the older mods from Dragon Age are not able to be installed correctly without a little tweaking, but it is nice to just know where they are. For what I need, it does the trick. And the things it does not work on, will have to be done manually anyway so it is always good to learn how to do that regardless.

I tried MO...I just did not like it. Not least of all because I hated having to open it to play Skyrim. I have done, and still do some manual installs. Especially when i am working on a mod and I just need to test something out. it is easier for me to just dump it in my data folder than drag and drop, activate, etc.

As for what Code Wolf said earlier about breaking the game...yeah...I have done that, several times in fact. And the more I do, the more I learn how the whole thing works. It can be kind of fun. Though a pain in the butt to have to turn around and wipe and reinstall everything. :)

Always keep a pristine copy of the base game somewhere as a backup...save a few hours of having to download from steam again. :)

@ Smashly have you ever try to remove a fairly large mod manually hmmm what a pain to manually find and remove all of files and to make sure you're not removing files from other mods, you may not like a mod manager but the idea of trying to deal with scramble that's the data folder (add game in question here) when heavily modded just isn't my cup of tea same goes for trying to manually set load order .