⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Server Admins

Dark0ne

If you're still on AGP and happy then wait until Vista comes out. Save up £800 and buy a decent PCI-E mobo, 64 bit processor and PCI-E card. If you're impatient like me go for PCI-E now, it really does make a difference.

SLi / Crossfire shouldn't be your only reason for going to PCI-E, it IS better.

Ive got a Radeon x800xl on agp works fine for me with my fx55 running behind it.

Altho theres a lot of people using PCI-e around 50% of gfx cards sold are actually still AGP.Not that much of a surprise to me that things may go back to AGP as its full potential hasnt never really been utilised....

Oh and 3rdegree......nice waffle :D

Wow, thanks guys. I will be waiting, for a number of reasons. Not so much of price or waiting for the 'killer' card, but to see if I'll be spending more time at home to get chance to play on a ubar desktop PC. At the mo' I travel a lot with work and I play mostly on my Dell laptop with rubbish 128MB ATI 9600 card, which I guess is ok for a 18 month old laptop.

Things may chance a bit, in which case I'll be seeking some advice before spending out on a kick-ass machine... :)

Thanks all for your advice (especially 3rdegree extensive input)

Cheers,

MadAnt

IM OFF AGAIN o_O

*THE BIG CHEESE* ive highlighted in red the kooool stuff

1x CASE Coolermaster Praetorian 730 Silver

(fully aluminum conducts heat 3 times faster than steel)

2X GRAPHICS CARD= Club 3D 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3 DUAL DVI VIVO PCI-E

1x PROCCESOR= Athlon 64 FX-60 Socket 939 Dual Core (Toledo) 2.6GHz 2x1MB Cache

1x Motherboard= Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe S939 NF4 SLI ATX - Sound 2xgiga lan 1394 USB2 SATA2

1x Harddrive= Western Digital WD2500KS Caviar SE 250GB 7200RPM SATA2/300 16MB Cache 2ms

seek time

1x RAM= Crucial Ballistix 1GB kit (512MBx2) DDR PC3200 2-2-2-6 latency UNBUFFERED NON-ECC

DDR400 2.8V 64Meg x 64 MATCHED PAIR1x POWERSUPPLY= Antec TruePower II 550W 20-24pin PSU SLI ready

1x OPTICAL DRIVE= LG GSA-4167BRL 16X Dual Layer Dual Format DVD ± RW Writer - DVDRAM

drag+drop storage

1x SOUND CARD= 1x Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro 5.1 + 7.1 sourcing

1x Logitech G5 gaming mouse (i must say this is the best mouse ive used in all my life)(I

know Venom has pointed that his chioce is the model before because the G5 has only one

additional button on the side 'bummer')

AS FOR KEYBOARDS your choice it might be better just to match up because of the driver

compatibility.(or you could go for that nasty looking BF2 Zboard)

NOW FOR CONTROLLERS (the saitek x52) has got to be the best joy/rudder/throttle in the world

for the price (it doesnt look or feel cheap and they have sorted the compatabilty issues

with BF2) if this continues ill start a new thread because this has gone far away from ADMIN stuff hehe ;D ;)

I only knocked this up during work this morning so dont kick my arse, I might not have added

everything and this hasn't been tested yet with BF2. Also this is money to burn stuff I

would personally build up to this spec over time studing the changes in the market (as in

Moores theory of doubleing)

PS: I have some of this kit just got to go for broke with the PCI-E SLI bit. Also your

choice about SLI/Crossfire

In a couple of weeks im going to post a system for us mere mortals (based on an athlon

3700/4000 CPU)

ARRRRRRRRRGH ive waffled again, I must stop doing that

You think about this stuff tooooooo much. ;)

But it does look like it would be the uber PC for gaming, especially the

2X GRAPHICS CARD= Club 3D 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3 DUAL DVI VIVO PCI-E

Maybe one day...

Cheers,

MadAnt

PS - Need some player in the server. It's nearly lunch time and its empty....

Go for the XFX or Leadtek 7900GTX's instead. I'd highly recommend the Leadtek extreme versions that get the best benchmark scores.

Similarly if you're using your PC as a gaming rig you can reduce those "Verifying client data" loading times by getting a 10,000RPM hard drive.

Lastly you need minimum 1.5GB - 2GB of RAM now.

Similarly if you're using your PC as a gaming rig you can reduce those "Verifying client data" loading times by getting a 10,000RPM hard drive.

I find this a pain. By the time my machine has loaded a new map the Blackhawk, ACP's, Tanks, Jets, Attack helo, FAV and my granny have already made it to the otherside of the map!

Can somebody please tell me why everybody thinks SLI/Crossfire is the ultamide gaming add-on/musthave!? That basicly a whole lot of BS. Sure it's a nice brag feature but one good graphics card is more than enough. You only get top preformance out of two cards in high resolutions with lots of AA/AAF and bad driver/game support to boot.

Spend the money that you would throw away on that second card wisely in getting rid of other bottlenecks in your system. For example Use 2x74GB Raptor (ver 2 has NCQ, 16MB cache, 10.000rpm) in raid-0 on a good HW raid controller as a boot/game besides this use another disk wich support NQM for bulk data storage and use at least 2x1GB DDR matched pair like Corsair (has sets that get 2-2-2-5 or lower if you like to tweak).

In my past job i've sold/build/tweaked countless SLI systems but almost all where outperformed by a well balanced all-round system that took in count bottlenecks. And looking at the end price difference is minimal.

SLi DOES work, it's just not cost effective. Have you tried Quake 4 yet? You can only use the ultra quality settings with SLi, my rig can't play it on ultra -- and I'm up-to-date.

Fact of the matter is harddrives are extremely UNimportant when it comes to gaming. The harddrives only reduce LOAD times and do not actually affect ingame performance.

Just an FYI, my rig:

Athlon 64 X2 4400+

Gainward 7900GTX 512MB

2GB DDR PC3200 RAM

Asus A8N-SLi Premium Mobo

Can't play Quake 4 at ultra settings. Get 1 - 2 FPS. LoLLLLLL.