Some people don't apreciate the old games

caterpie

I think making good looking game is about money but making well entertaining game is about talent.

Crysis is one of very few games that is excellent in both. And so were UT 2004 and AoE3 five years back.

But I also like Theme Hospital, Sim City 3k and Fallout 2. Hell, I would even play Unreal - the very 1st one and NFS4 if I had rig with 3Dfx card (redundant graphic chip running Glide not Direct3D/OpenGL)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I've always wondered why a place like Cuba does not have a thriving SNES game development scene. Yes, those consumers have a lot less to spend than we did in the golden age of video games, but it is also far less expensive to produce those types of games today than it was when they were still being produced. To me, it makes perfect economic sense. And it would just be amazing to see what other cultures would do differently with the tech of that era.

More on topic, I would say that while I do enjoy state-of-the-art graphics, I think that visual appeal, which is only loosely tied to the graphics technology, is infinitely more important. I mostly only play games with visual appeal because, for me, the point of the medium is not just interactivity (which can be accomplished on the table top), but, rather, the visualization of this interaction. A videogame is only more fun than a table-top game because of the visual aspect. But there is also another side to this where we find that the interactivity is what sets a videogame apart from a film. So I would say that both aspects are what define a good videogame.

Edited by HSovieticus

• 3 weeks later...

Sigh... I feel like GOG is starting down the same path as what this topic implies. They recently added some games made by Origin Systems. Origin was closed and dissolved in 2004 - So where is the money going? Looks like EA, but they didn't make the games, they only bought the company so in my opinion they really shouldn't earn the money. Come on GOG, if you want people to appreciate these old games, you need to let go of trying to make a profit on them. It should be all of the games completely made by Origin, not just Ultima IV.

In fact I'd suggest that many of these companies like id or 3D Realms who's been doing this for more than 20 years and really see the ridiculousness of trying to sell such old, unsupported games and instead just make them free. You have to let go of things like this and make a sacrifice to get the attention and respect of the crowd these days.

Edited by ziitch

• 2 months later...

Some golden oldies imho:

- MORROWIND (was, is and will ever be my no. 1 game!)

- DOOM

- Soul Reaver

- C&C Red Alert

- Neverwinter Nights (aww yeah baby!)

- UT GOTY (the '99 game, yeah)

- GTA Vice City

- FIFA 2000 (plain, simple, not 100 buttons for a simple pass to another player)

- Duke Nukem 3D

- Sim City 2000

- Killer Instinct (SNES)

- Donkey Kong 1 (SNES)

And I could go on a while ;) Games these days are 90% graphics 10% story/gameplay, which is VERY sad :(

• 3 months later...

Old games are the best - back when companies made games that were fun and weren't trying to buy everyone on just graphics and realism. "Oooh! My toon have five-o-clock shadow!" Joy. :dry:

Recently downloaded Dragon Crystal on my 3DS from the eStore. That game is addictive as hell...

There are exceptions, of course. Dark Souls, for example. But I get what you're saying.

Admittedly I wasn't gaming when the really old games held sway, but I picked up Daggerfall for DOSbox and I'm enjoying it way too much. It feels like it's actually big enough to be a world, and that keeps it feeling mysterious.

My favorite old game though, isn't that old (only a decade, lol). It's King's Field IV. That game is still mysterious and more, IDK, 'dread-inducing' than most modern games. It's really a unique experience. The game is streamed straight from the disk, so you never see a loading screen once you load a game. As a result, the game is slow and hypnotic, with a smooth framerate and weird grace associated with it. Even the enemies attack , run, and jump gracefully. The art style is very much like a mix of a gothic castle and a nightmare. The whole time I played I felt just a bit like I was dreaming, between the very deliberate motion and the macabre style. Not only that, but because the graphics are pretty dated and everything is slow, there can be massive unit counts for a PS2 game. I'm not exaggerating, at one point in a crypt there were like thirty skeletons on-screen at once with no stutter. Oh, plus it has great harpsichord music and it's open-world with the same superb quality of level design that Dark Souls has.

Maybe I've built up the memories in my head, but that was certainly the last PS2 game that I ever really enjoyed, since I picked it up when it was already aging. I paid $30 for it too. The price keeps going up, and the game gets more and more rare. There can't be many copies left, since it was never popular or widespread enough to warrant enduring production.

Edited by Rennn

You people need to make a distinction between graphics and art style.

I have zero problem going back and playing old SNES RPG games and 2D RPG's because their art style still holds up over the years. However games like Oblivion (even when it was relatively new) still bore me to tears because their animations are so wooden. I don't care how amazing morrowinds gameplay is, watching a stick hitting a slightly different colored stick isn't going to hold my interest after a while.

What it comes down to is simply this, some games age better than others, games that age badly will always be difficult to go back to and play. If I had the choice to play Morrowind or TMNT: Turtles in Time I'de choose turtles in time every day of the week. If I had a choice between Oblivion and Super Mario RPG, I'de totally pick Super Mario RPG.

Remember I posted about King's Field just a few inches above this post? It got me thinking, since I no longer have a TV to hook up my PS2 (just not worth it, lol, the internet is about 100x better than TV), and since it's too much work to try to get PS2 games working on my monitor, I downloaded PCSX2. It's a PS2 emulator that's actually legal, assuming you provide the BIOS from your own PS2. That wasn't a problem.

Now I'm playing King's Field 4 again! I'm currently using a PS3 controller since keyboard controls were just awful with it. Anyway, I highly recommend this program for people with old PS2 games that they'd like to play, as long as they have a fairly high-end PC, since it takes a lot of power to emulate a PS2. As I said, this is legal, or I certainly wouldn't be bragging about it. Most emulators are illegal, but I don't endorse that, for the record.

Keep in mind, it won't run many games perfectly. It took about an hour of tweaking to get it running KF4 almost perfectly, and some games may not work at all. Check the compatibility before you attempt this to see if your old games are even compatible. This will let you play PS2 games at higher resolutions, but raising the resolution beyond the PS2 native also causes more bugs, so beware of that. Shadow of the Collosus was the only game I tested so far that didn't have any visual bugs at all at 4x the PS2 native resolution. It looked worlds better, btw, but lagged heavily on my rig.

Edited by Rennn

I grew up with the master system right through to what we have today, i can put any game o from then till now and still enjoy playing it. Graphics i dont even notice these days.

Gameplay is the main thing in a game. Look at perfect dark on the N64, i have awsome memories of being at my friends hous eand playing that every night. s*** i bet we would still play it now if we livd in the same town lol. there are so many old games that were perfect, splater house for example, was misrable, grim, gorey, hard as hell but funny all at the same time, now a game in recent years thats all those things is very hard to find, the binding of isaac comes close in a different play style.

Roadrash 2 on the sega megadrive ( sega genesis) my god that game i still play to this day. it is 100% fun, and a game should be about fun. no how it looks. the game companies focus to much on looks and over look the important thing, the game itself.