⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Worst writing in the game?

Jakoporeeno

Maven Black-Briar. Hands down worst written character and writing in the game. She kills counter guys for no apparent reason, yet still somehow finds takers for the job. She never shuts her yap about how bad-a$$ she is, yet the basis of her power is.....what exactly? When you meet her for the first, and every subsequent time, you want to shoot an arrow in her face her attitude stinks so bad. At best, shes a corrupt and amoral businesswomen that has managed to bribe, fool, or intimidate the weak Laila -Law giver. She goes on about how much the thieves guild needs her, yet w/o guild to actually act on her behalf, maven would be....where again? Yea, selling watered down mead and bribing idiots in Riften to do her bidding. In short, shes an idiot and everything that falls out of her mouth makes me want to punch her the face-often and hard.

-Pretty much the entire Assassins guild story-quest line. Really, the DB murdering people in their beds..for gold? Seriously? I can accumulate septims without end and become the richest person and landholder in Skyrim and I don't have to commit murder to do it. And don't even start on the ridiculous murder the emperor plotline...like WTF!

-You kill the world eater and no one cares, really,or even thanks you. Well, except for Angrier. He thanks you for saving the world but no one else really gives two septims.

Theres a few other things that are just as badly written, but I can't be bothered to remember them atm..hah.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Pretty much the entire Assassins guild story-quest line. Really, the DB murdering people in their beds..for gold? Seriously? I can accumulate septims without end and become the richest person and landholder in Skyrim and I don't have to commit murder to do it. And don't even start on the ridiculous murder the emperor plotline...like WTF!

What would you rather out of an assassins guild? They were for-profit murderers long before they were the idiotic death-cult they became in Oblivion. Easily the worst writing in the entire freaking series...

Skyrim's writing isn't stellar, but the only writing that makes me actively cringe is anything that takes place on or relating to Solstheim whatsoever. Seriously, the Dragonborn DLC felt like a rushed, half-assed story stapled to an overly specific (and poorly chosen, I might add) point in the main quest. Not to mention the fact that if you haven't progressed far enough in the main quest, about 95% of the new worldspace is literally unusable. At least Dawnguard was more or less independent, and wove appropriately with the main game's story where it needed to. But Dragonborn's integration - or lack thereof - was flawd from the get-go.

• 2 weeks later...

TG storyline makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

Upon your recruitment, someone Brynjolf highly recommends is sent to do something even the best TG infiltrator couldn't. You'd have to assume he wanted you out of the picture before you even got in the picture. Makes perfect sense when you realize he's cutting bait with everything the TG has left to it's name.

The logical thing is what I do, send the whelp to do the menial tasks necessary to elevate TG exposure in the holds where there is no TG presence. Once he's proven himself, then introduce him to the more "sensitive" TG matters (i.e. the TG main questline).

One qualifier for the worst writing in th game is sending the DB to off Narfi. Seriously, who in their right mind is going to go though all the gyrations and put up the Septims necessary to kill a guy whose just not all there anyway?

Reaching far and wide, and I'm talking reaching here. The only thing that makes any sense at all is that it was his sister, but she's long dead before you even know what the DB is.

-You kill the world eater and no one cares, really,or even thanks you. Well, except for Angrier. He thanks you for saving the world but no one else really gives two septims.

You win the civil war for either side, you save the world, you own more houses and probably more gold than anyone except the emperor - and you're still a nobody. You have no power, no influence, no authority, and the guards still treat you like dirt.

Ulfric wins - or not, Jarls come and go - wars are won or lost - but you remain essentially static.

One qualifier for the worst writing in th game is sending the DB to off Narfi. Seriously, who in their right mind is going to go though all the gyrations and put up the Septims necessary to kill a guy whose just not all there anyway?

Reaching far and wide, and I'm talking reaching here. The only thing that makes any sense at all is that it was his sister, but she's long dead before you even know what the DB is.

The cook across the river is impeding development of a mine because he won't move. Skyrim seems to take its property ownership pretty seriously, at least as far as any attempt at legitimate business. Maeven couldn't just off the Brewery owner and take over, she needed to get him to sell

Whoever wanted the loon offend probably thought the next inheritor of the property would be more likely to sell.

Compare that to the House of Murder in Oblivion. That quest only makes sense if the contract writer was a Psychopath.

I wondered about the assassination of Narfi myself and found that in Norse mythology, Narfi (also Nari, Narvi) was a son of Loki and may have been a demon of the dead. The name Narfi could also be related to the Old Norse word nár, meaning corpse.

Narfi apparently was killed by his brother (who had been turned into a wolf) and his sinews or entrails were used to bind Loki to a rock in a cave until Ragnarok.

Thus, there are a number of considerations one can make about why Narfi was singled out for assassination; including the play on words by the game developers.