Worst writing in the game?

Jakoporeeno

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And also it has vampire lords on it, they are magic users and master in, guess what? Illusion!

Well their illusions spells clearly aren't very good, since its clearly visible from the shore even with the fog. Though as Dante said, the distance would be scaled up if Skyrim was scaled up to the size of a real place.

Well their illusions spells clearly aren't very good, since its clearly visible from the shore even with the fog. Though as Dante said, the distance would be scaled up if Skyrim was scaled up to the size of a real place.

You know you are right when I think about it. Sorry.

I think Skyrims history of superstition and the nature if the Volkair vampires may explain it. While they aren't shown to do so in game, other sources indicate they can pass through solid ice, pulling their prey into icy waters. There aren't any bridges out to the Castle, and aquatic dangers are rightly feared in Skyrim...

So you have a mysterious castle that never seems to fall appart, several miles off shore, superstitious Nords and aquatic Vampires...we have stories about people never comming out of haunted houses like 100 yards from the road, I'd imagine there are enough stories about the Castle that people steer very clear.

This could also be supported, in a round about way, by the concerns about Harkon's plan. Blocking out tuebsun instantly turns all Vampires into enemy 1, and the Castle is likely a known and very visible target. The Solitude Navy could likely flattern it with ease.

There is also a history of Vampire Jarls in some parts of Skyrim, so there may he some political protections afforded.

May not be Volikhar, but even minor clans or Clanless would recognise the power of the Volkihar. I know if I was a Vampire, regardless of my political status, I wouldn't want to piss off one of the strongest pure-blood Clans on the Continent.

The vampire lord called lord for a reason. Vampires are strong monsters and political rank doesn't mean much to them as it seems.

I also read somewhere that a witch was a whiterun jarl by conquest, but her area was much bigger to the throat of the world. So I think a vampire can do that too.

....just realized last night- Erik the Slayer and his Pop. I've never heard his Dad say "So you're back. have you come to take up farming again?"

They pretty much ignore each other. I guess it's because Erik and Erik the Slayer are technically two different NPCs but it would have been cool if they had dialogue after Erik becomes an adventurer

You say there isn't any more info needed, I say there is, being the only dunmer in whiterun more background is needed, she is just there for diversity now. A lot of missed potential and bad writing. She invokes interest yet you get left with nothing when you ask about her background aside from some vague notion. Dunmer (and all elves for that matter) tend to stick to their fellow race members or stay secluded. Her being a housecarl for a nord is very out of character for a dunmer.

She's basically a cypher: its to show Whiterun is an Imperial stronghold and its a cosmopolitan place, or at least as cosmopolitan Skyrim gets outside of Solitude. And to show that Balgruuf isn't Ulfric. Other than that she serves no real purpose.

That's another point; there's a giant castle full of powerful vampires just north of Skyrim (close enough to be visible from the shore), and no-one's noticed in all of the thousands of years that they've been there?

I know that when I took a boat there (couldn't remember where it was and the Sea is a large shore) the boatman REALLY didn't want to go there, basically had to pay him a small fortune to get within a mile or two of the place. He gave the impression that no-one goes near the place, not if they know whats good for them. I imagine the lack of knowledge would be from the fact that anyone who does venture there rarely returns. At least thats the small part of me that wants to believe in Lore chooses to believe. It is a very deserted shore, too.

I know that when I took a boat there (couldn't remember where it was and the Sea is a large shore) the boatman REALLY didn't want to go there, basically had to pay him a small fortune to get within a mile or two of the place. He gave the impression that no-one goes near the place, not if they know whats good for them. I imagine the lack of knowledge would be from the fact that anyone who does venture there rarely returns. At least thats the small part of me that wants to believe in Lore chooses to believe. It is a very deserted shore, too.

Boatman? That's the Dragonborn DLC, not Dawnguard.

Unless you have a mod that adds a ferryman for the little rowboat at the jetty to Castle Volkihar...