Reason for being in prison?

Lehcar

reason for being in prison... same reason as you somehow know the penalty for necrophilia

I've seen this mentioned on a few Let's Plays. The logic seems sound.

Zink from Awkward Zombie: "Wait, how do I just somehow know the fine for necrophilia?.....Could this be the reason I was in prison?"

My character was in the Imperial Prison for walking up to a Palace Guard and asking:

"So, this city is the capitol of all Cyrodiil, right? It's the home of the Emperor of all of Tamriel, right? So why is it then that the city only has a coupla dozen people in it and I can walk a circle around it in five minutes?"

Apparently the Imperials don't like it when you talk bad about their little city...

One of the mods in Morrowind has you explain that you were jailed for espionage, sedition and treason, including printing pamphlets against corrupt authorities and injustice. Your skills attracted the attention of the Emperor (who is not a bad man) so he wanted you to spy for him and sent you to Caius Cosades, who sent you out on spy missions to gather information for the Emperor.

I rather like that story, because it portrays you as a victimized hero, fighting for justice, rather than a criminal who deserves to be in jail.

• 3 weeks later...

i think the reason for starting out in prison is probably that it presented the easiest opportunity to lay the MQ at my characters' feet.

not only that, but i think that the whole beginning part works well to present you with a choice... its giving you a clean slate in a way,

whatever you did before doesnt really matter now and you get to choose the right(or left) path.