BLOG PIECE: Modding as a hobby versus modding as a career, and the position of the Nexus

Dark0ne

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet even if everyone in this thread is against it, it will happen and the next generation of mod developers will pitfight over pennies on the Workshop.

What use mourning when you can't stop it anyway?

Releasing some stress maybe? or just for the fun of complaining?

Anyway, even if it was for any of those reasons I'd still only do it after it all goes to hell.

tl;dr alert

Before I begin, I would like to thank everyone here for allowing a total User like me to exist. I don't know your names or your official titles in the community (excluding Modders, the most obvious, the rest being basically Staff and Management as far as I am concerned), but you all have my equal thanks for creating and maintaining this site and the content on it.

Now, if you couldn’t tell, I spent a loooong time on consoles, completely cut off from PCs. For a while now money has been pretty tight, so all of my fancy gadgets were either random gifts or tax season treats. My laptop fits in the overlap between the two; I received a text one day suggesting I visit my parents, who had just made a mistake ordering online. So here I am, getting back into computers with something entirely new to me.

I've been playing around for a few weeks now starting with a trial run on NMM, a handful of random mods, and basic common sense. Results were better than anticipated for something I've never done before. Eventually I scrapped NMM in favor of Mod Organizer and started over entirely fresh for my rough draft, this time reading descriptions for more optimal results. While reading said descriptions I noticed most of my assumptions were correct, it was just a matter of not having all the extra tools. LOOT, Bash, TES5Edit; I spent days watching tutorial videos, then decided it was finally time to wipe my computer and start my final draft.

All this is to say (and I apologize again for the tl;dr) you are all offering an amazing service here, for free, and the only thing I have ever seen anyone ask for (and rightfully so) is a little respect and consideration for said freely-offered services. I hate that I am in a position where I cannot show my appreciation financially, I really do, but I will still continue to use it as long as it is around. I have a feeling it won't be going anywhere any time soon and even if it does, an idea like this never really dies. It adapts, takes on a new name, a new form. One way or another, Nexus Will Survive.

Edited by Stanky86

"...Because up until now that's definitely not what modding has been about at all."

I agree completely. It's hard to say how things would play out. On one hand, we would probably start to see better tools pop up. I'd gladly pay $5.00 or whatever for a 100% working 3ds max exporter, among other tools that might come along.

On the other hand, if free and open modding were removed completely it would kill the modding scene completely. I'm not sure why it would go this way though, I mean look at Google Play store for example. You have free apps, paid apps, and it's only gotten better over time.

Either way, I'd probably just like to see things stay the way they are.

2c

Edited by Angilla

they are a difference between hobby modding and job modding

free hobby modding = skyrim

job modding pay = dota

sadly now modding is like a war, war to show who is the best of the best, and in this war, modder use tool/soft more and more powerful and expensive. and for cover this, they need money.

thats the problem, what have start as a hobby , turn into pay work time because of this "feeling" to want be the best.

its sad, very sad, because whatever they say, modding is a hobby, nothing else. its up to them to take free time for make a mod, their motivation, their feeling, their decision.

of course i thanks them all for the mods ^^

the only peoples that can say "modding is my job" , is the devs staff of the video game itself, and even for them, its not their work, but a simple hobby near the job.

and today devs didnt push modder in the good way by creating "kits" games, episodes 1,2,3,4....parts 1,2,3,4... and a bunch of dlc that should already be in the vanilla game.

long life Dark0ne, long life nexus and all staff, modders, and of course, us customer ^^

Not that anything has been said by Beth or others at this point, my fear is a bit different.

I fear that if money is involved things will change in a bad way. Companies that have let modders have a great deal of freedom in modding may not let this continue, as they see they can charge and make money from user generated content and they will prohibit mods being uploaded on any other sites (like the Nexus among others.)

The companies will have total control over the mods to get the money and they will also have control over the content of the mods. They may disapprove of many mods that may not fit their vision or moralities and thus will cut the creative throat of the modders.