Post here if you need voice actors for mods, or if you'd offer you

simplywayne90

I'm searching for someone who can mimic a ghoul for a mod I currently have out. It currently has a placeholder voice but I would like to have it replaced as soon as possible. PM me if you are interested, and please include a sample of the ghoul voice if you can.

Here's a sample of the voice actor who played Larry (a ghoul) in Quo Vagis. He's actually from Philadelphia, but Larry needed a southern accent for plot reasons and I think he did a bang-up job. I don't know if he can do more of a Gob style ghoul voice, but probably. PM me if you want his contact info. Fair warning - the scenes are from the end of Quo Vagis so they have A) a bit of vulgar language and B) major spoilers.

http://youtu.be/52Z0CuLH8OA

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone! I may not seem as awesome as most of the many talented people on here, but I would love to lend my voice for anyone who wishes to recruit me! If anyone does have any questions about..well, anything, feel free to shoot a message back.

Here is the video on my [first] YouTube channel.

Thank you!

[EDIT #1]

Fixed the link and video. Everyone should be able to see it.
PS. In the video, although I talked about weird things, I did it to try and stay in-character. Hope it worked. :)

Edited by DesertRose2281

Looking for one male voice actor to play a fairly enormous part. Raider, mid/late 20's.

Mod is well into development, gonna be more scrutinous when it comes to mic quality and acting skills than normal, really looking for the right person.

Send me a PM, preferably with a demo or sample of sorts.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe stating the obvious, but a decent quality mic is critical. Doesn't need to be expensive, but dialog recorded through a typical headset mic usually ends up sounding like it was recorded on a cell phone.

A mic stand is very helpful but not absolutely essential if the voice actor (or you) can hold it at a fairly constant distance. For the same reason, the voice actor shouldn't move around too much. If making gestures and so forth helps them emote, that's great, but you want any changes in volume in the recording to come from the dynamics in their performance, not from changes in distance from the mic.

A pop filter of some kind is also highly recommended so you can record at a decent level without hard consonants clipping (particularly if the voice actor really speaks from the diaphragm). If you're on a budget, you can just stretch a pair of pantyhose over a wire hanger. A foam mic cover isn't as good as a commercial or even an improvised pop screen, but might do in a pinch.

Along the same lines, mic placement (and input gain on your audio interface, if there's a control for that) will vary by actor. Usually about 18 inches away at head level, but if the actor has a particularly loud or soft voice you will want to adjust the input gain and/or move the mic accordingly. I've been burned on that myself. One time I was lazy and in a hurry so I just had one actor sit down and another get up and start doing lines without adjusting anything, and there ended up being noticeable distortion in the audio every time he says a word that starts with "P".

The farther away you move the mic, the more room noise you'll get in relation to the voice, so in general closer is better as long as it's far enough away to avoid breath noise and popping consonants.

Software-wise, I don't have any specific recommendations for recording software, but for post production one word: Audacity. Many times I record voice actors in a quiet room in their homes rather than a controlled studio environment, and a room that seems quiet when you're sitting in it can produce a recording that seems unusable when you listen to it later. The noise reduction plug-in in Audacity is an absolute miracle. Record ten seconds of the empty room with no dialog, let it analyze that, apply it to the dialog, and the dialog sounds like it was recorded in a silent studio. Obviously, it has limitations - it won't get rid of the phone ringing or the neighbor's dog barking, but 60-cycle hum, buzz from flourescent lights, computer fans & other electronic racket, gone. And of course, it does all the standard stuff like EQ, compression & special effects.

Maybe stating the obvious, but a decent quality mic is critical. Doesn't need to be expensive, but dialog recorded through a typical headset mic usually ends up sounding like it was recorded on a cell phone.

A mic stand is very helpful but not absolutely essential if the voice actor (or you) can hold it at a fairly constant distance. For the same reason, the voice actor shouldn't move around too much. If making gestures and so forth helps them emote, that's great, but you want any changes in volume in the recording to come from the dynamics in their performance, not from changes in distance from the mic.

A pop filter of some kind is also highly recommended so you can record at a decent level without hard consonants clipping (particularly if the voice actor really speaks from the diaphragm). If you're on a budget, you can just stretch a pair of pantyhose over a wire hanger. A foam mic cover isn't as good as a commercial or even an improvised pop screen, but might do in a pinch.

Along the same lines, mic placement (and input gain on your audio interface, if there's a control for that) will vary by actor. Usually about 18 inches away at head level, but if the actor has a particularly loud or soft voice you will want to adjust the input gain and/or move the mic accordingly. I've been burned on that myself. One time I was lazy and in a hurry so I just had one actor sit down and another get up and start doing lines without adjusting anything, and there ended up being noticeable distortion in the audio every time he says a word that starts with "P".

The farther away you move the mic, the more room noise you'll get in relation to the voice, so in general closer is better as long as it's far enough away to avoid breath noise and popping consonants.

Software-wise, I don't have any specific recommendations for recording software, but for post production one word: Audacity. Many times I record voice actors in a quiet room in their homes rather than a controlled studio environment, and a room that seems quiet when you're sitting in it can produce a recording that seems unusable when you listen to it later. The noise reduction plug-in in Audacity is an absolute miracle. Record ten seconds of the empty room with no dialog, let it analyze that, apply it to the dialog, and the dialog sounds like it was recorded in a silent studio. Obviously, it has limitations - it won't get rid of the phone ringing or the neighbor's dog barking, but 60-cycle hum, buzz from flourescent lights, computer fans & other electronic racket, gone. And of course, it does all the standard stuff like EQ, compression & special effects.

Very helpful. Thank you. At the moment the only mic I have is a G35 logitech headset, although it seems to do fine combined with a program like audacity. If I still lived in the States I'd have no problem going out and buying a decent mic and a "pop filter", but I live in Ecuador now. You can buy a lot stuff still here but it's either very expensive or very hard to locate. For example, anything electronic here is overpriced, like an Xbox 360 costs $600, and a $400 laptop in the States costs 700 or 800 here. I should ask around nonetheless. I might be able to ship something here also...although anything with customs is usually a headache, because certain items are not allowed entry via shipment, like cellphones.

Honestly, I think what may happen is that I'll do the voices myself for my companion mod I am working on, and then pass it off to someone to see if maybe they could redo the voices, with a better audio set up. Not to mention, I really don't have a voice suited for acting. I wish I did, because I speak a few languages, and it would make it much easier if I could voice act; I could do a translation for each language then, and not have to worry about finding a voice actor in the target language. Of course, I am far from that point yet. I am still learning some of the basics of the GECK.

Again, thank you for your thorough response. Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be willing to lend my voice if needed at all, Awhile back I was working with a friend of mine who needed a voice for a Decent sized quest mod, but he moved and the project was thrown out, I deleted most of the files but saved one cause I liked how it sounded, it was for a small cut scene where the player spots for a Bounty Hunter/Sniper who earlier in the quest becomes a follower. Back to the point I saved this file because It sounded pretty cool and I can only imagine what the quest would've been like had we finished, so if you like it and think you could use me please let me know I'd be happy to help anyone!

Here is the MP3 I kept

https://soundcloud.com/dbaggins/one-mans-fate

Edited by TruxtonMiles

I'd like to put my name out there for Voice Acting .. I'm a 59 yr odd male - who is able to do different kinds of voices - but I do best when I have an actual script and character to submit a sample with.

RE: I was asked by one to just give him something. So I did and was (not surprisingly REJECTED) ... " ... not what I'm looking for ..."

Then when he finished his mod and I found a character in his mod that was not 'all that good' - I copied the lines and re-submitted the 'sample'.

His surprise was not all that surprising to me: "Damn it, why didn't you tell me you could do this!!" . o O ( sigh )

Friend me .. I'm pretty easy going ... :)