Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24572229. #24572259, #24572264, #24572574 are all replies on the same post.

IgnacyOrder wrote:
boulegue wrote: people are free to choose if they want to sell their mods or not nexus will not become illegal if they dont allow pirated mod (which they defnetly wont)

free mods will stay free and many modders will only release their work for free
ShwayNorris wrote: its only piracy if the mods are uploaded without the permission of the Aurthur for free. really, they are free to make it paid for on steam and free here, they own the files. but its pretty silly to expect that to happen.
IgnacyOrder wrote: Well I did see more strange stuff happen so I expect everything. I got suspended for saying I dont like the idea. Just for having opinion :( So if Im getting suspended for opinion which dosnt cost anything. Why Nexus wont be targeted for taking money from pockets of those guys? Sorry its 3Am and all this is jsut overhelming so I may exacurate a bit ^^

there was probably a huge ban wave on the steam workshop and many people that even posted positive comments got blocked that what happens when the majority behaves like 3 year olds

i love the nexus for NMM that in case a mod doesn't work it can be taken out without you wasting anything more then some time while over on the workshop; if a mod breaks your game you wasted time and money two things that you could be using to play and buy new games. also i think valve is slowly becoming EA.

In response to post #24572569. #24572664 is also a reply to the same post.

phantompally76 wrote:
IgnacyOrder wrote: Im sure I wont be releasing my mod any more. I jsut keep it for myself because I dotn want someone now to steal it and make money for nothing. Or the fact I did use some stuff from modderss recources. Some people now may force me to pay for reeasing mod even thou its free. Makes me criminal then. I guess many modders wont want that problem

Youtuber mod showcases will die as well as it will be expensive hobby now

authors just like publishers will send their mods to reviewers for free so they get exposure

I think the real outrage here is the exploitation of the modders.

One thing I do want to know though is that, given how so many of these mods use SKSE, was the permission of the SKSE devs obtained? Doesn't seem fair that they get nothing when they've enabled the vast majority of advanced Skyrim modding.

In response to post #24571789. #24572554 is also a reply to the same post.

Evilkedi wrote:
boulegue wrote: theres copyright laws and the DMCA content creaters are very well protected against theft

Whatever decision mod developers like the team behind SKSE make will need legal enforcement. Valve will either have to cut clear and trim the whole modding community with more DRM or Mod Piracy will become a popular thing.

In response to post #24571334. #24571444, #24571634, #24571699, #24572244, #24572659 are all replies on the same post.

ShwayNorris wrote:
boulegue wrote: people developing without deadlines or publishers in their back cant be good? i thought we hate the big publishers who destroy our games and want exactly what is happening right now
ShwayNorris wrote: your taking something that's free and open and turning it into a closed market, that has never been good in all of history.
boulegue wrote: the market is just as open as it was yesterday or last year we just opened another door and thats the OPTION to charge for your mods noone forces you to sell them just as noone forces you to buy them its all optional
ShwayNorris wrote: making something that was free now have a charge is the same as changing the price of an item, you have now moved something that would previously been readily available to a higher tier, one that some who would have previously enjoyed said product will not be able to attain. you have just narrowed the market because you have excluded some from said product. also, when free, posting to both the Nexus and SteamWorkshop is not a hassle and allows for a broader reach, with the paid Mods being exclusive to steam you have narrowed the reachable audience.

there is no way that this will not have a noticeable impact before summer hits.
boulegue wrote: nothing that was/is free now cost any money noone took our lollipops away

first off it's day one, the greater impact will be made clear as mods disappear and trickle over to steam. secondly your euphemism does nothing to discredit my statement.