Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

I... I sorta have mixed feelings on this, and I feel it mostly comes down to how Steam handled the launch of the system.

If this were a new but anticipated game where modding was hinted at and Steam did the paid mods thing as it's flagship for the system, we'd likely be talking about this still but not quite in the vitriolic fashion we are currently. I feel the main stigma that has been attached to this program is that it's been applied to a game which already had a thriving modding scene without paid mods. Frig, even if it was Bethesda I still think we'd be far less vitriolic about this if it was attached to an upcoming title rather than an existing one. Just my thoughts on this.

As a side note, I might not have any mods at the moment but once I actually come up with a mod worth putting up on this site it will infact be free to download. Just a little solidarity from me.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24571814. #24571869, #24571909, #24572144 are all replies on the same post.

Marco9625 wrote:
Laxe wrote: It is just beginning, when more third parties come into play, theres IRS and European vat etc. this will turn into Just another Music industry where if you buy 20$ CD the artists doesn't even get full one dollar bill.
boulegue wrote: valve provides the platform and bethesda created the game and the CK/G.E.C.K to even make modding in the manner we know it today possible.... if you think people at valve and bethesda aren't working hard for their money you never seen any game developer office ever.... 70week hours are no strangers in those offices.... 25% is a rather generous cut compared to other industries (music, books, newspapers, tv........)
Marco9625 wrote: The GECK/CK haven't been touched for years. It doesn't warrant Bethesda a reward. The monetary cost of maintaining Steam is rock bottom low so it doesn't warrant Valve such a high amount. This is a raw deal for modders who are doing the real work. I implore modders everywhere to give the Steam Workshop the cold shoulder here on out, its starting to become bad for consumers and modders alike. And I agree with Laxe fully.

both valve and bethesda have a lot of developers that needs to be paid, the CK just got an update (maybe just to ease the upload to steam but w/e)
youre free to buy or not buy the mods on the workshop as mod authors are free to charge or put them up for free now the cost of maintaining steam is in the millions every month just to maintain steam... valve consists of more then just steam

i have no problem paying for good or amazing mods. i think people should get money for their work. where my problem with this is that of the hundreds of mods i have used less then a hundred are of a quality i would expect from something i have to pay for. i would love to see a very easy way to pay modders what you want if you like their work but with so many mods being decent or poor quality i simply dont see this working out well for anyone except valve/bethseda. and likely it wont work well for valve/bethseda for long.

In response to post #24571274. #24571384 is also a reply to the same post.

IgnacyOrder wrote:
ShwayNorris wrote: typical cowardly Steam tactics to be honest. you should write GabeN directly. Really, we all should.

not even sure how. Plus I cant cuz steam muted me for a whole week

I donated to Arthmoor for his work in the Unofficial Skyrim patches... now that was worth my money.... mods are cool but he and his team actually fix what the game developer dropped....his work has made my game stable, what he does is work, painstaking work...my 2 cents

I think something like a pledge option on the nexus would be a great idea, where basically users have an option to contribute a timed donation to be recieved when a mod author(s) either updates a file, or uploads a brand new file. There could be an option to make this reaccuring as well.

In response to post #24561994. #24562179, #24562479 are all replies on the same post.

igorlipinski wrote:
hawki9009 wrote: dont forget that modder take their mods off Nexus and put it only on the Steam workshop ... 23.04 MODDING died RIP
igorlipinski wrote: I doubt many people will do that since it might not be legal for some of them to demand payment for their mods... The only guy I know to take his mods off Nexus is ThirteenOranges, but that's only since he got banned if I remember well... Another thing is that the bigger mods would be a pain in the ass to upload to workshop since there's a size limit for mods on the Workshop and the limit is quite restrictive... e.g. SMIM is uploaded to Workshop in 3 parts ;) Imagine uploading mods like the vanilla texture optimizers or Interesting NPCs to the Workshop... it would make a total mess out of everybody's mod setups

Bethesda removed the size limit.

In response to post #24571819. #24571979, #24572124, #24572239, #24572369 are all replies on the same post.

Laxe wrote:
boulegue wrote: he wants as little as 0.82€ i cant even get a cheese burger for that price
Laxe wrote: You can't try the mod without buying and you have no insurance that it will work after 24 hours refund protection ends.

Imagine trying out hundreds of mods before you find out the ones you like, it will cost you hundreds or even more if you have to buy them. that is modding kill for me and i will just stay away from such games.

Anyways i hope that at least they stop pooping on Mod name and call it what it is - Third party DLC
boulegue wrote: isokus mod are still avaible on the nexus for you to try out as much as you want without spending money the versions on the workshop are just updated, if youre not willing to spend money then simply dont noone is forcing you to spend money....

and if you currently spend $1 you can try out every mod there is.... and $1 for 17 days is very little
SvarogNL wrote: Problem is that all the refund ends up in your Steam Wallet. While the Modders don't have to deal with that problem.

you have to spend 0,82€ once to test out all mods currently uploaded to the steam workshop.... not 17 times 0,82€ but just once the refund is basically instant and you can try another mod 2 clicks later