Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24573019. #24573104 is also a reply to the same post.

starfis wrote:
nivea wrote: This.

Download most of the most endorsed armour mods. eg stuff made by ZeroFrost and Corvalho1, Corval's stuff is some of the first to be 'pay for' despite the fact that in the Akatosh mod you get the Dragon Tongue sword which is on the Nexus for free anyway. I'm hoping other modders like gechbal doesn't turn to that sort of thing because I love his modding style.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24573144.

Silki08 wrote:

Here's a thought though.
Okay, so we determine that they deserve to be paid for their work.
We leave in the middle how much a mod is worth (as that would be hard to determine without specifics about each mod).

Now comes the next step.
As a fresh entrepreneur and software developer - what are your responsibilities towards your product now that you are actually making money off of it?
What are the responsibilities for Steam/Valve as distributor of this software?
What about those assets you've "borrowed" (with permission) from another modmaker - do they deserve a cut?
Does their permission which you got before choosing to sell your mod still count or should you ask whether they are okay with you profiting off of their assets?

There is a LOT more to this than just " does a mod maker deserve to be paid for his or her work? "

And I definitely agree... 25/75 split distribution isn't even remotely fair. Especially when you consider Valves trackrecord of customer support through Steam Early Access where the goto response is: "You have to be with the content creator for that." Edited by danjal

In response to post #24571614. #24572234, #24572374, #24572469, #24572589, #24572669, #24572829, #24572854, #24572864, #24572984, #24572994, #24573004, #24573029, #24573229 are all replies on the same post.

KaiserDeathIV wrote:
speash wrote: Signed
ShwayNorris wrote: Signed
Kerros wrote: Signed, thank you for the link
zzjay wrote: Will do tomorrow..cant open from phone :(.

I doubt it'll help...we can simply not buy em.
groupthinker1984 wrote: Way too soon for this kind of knee jerk reaction.

I agree that this COULD be absolutely disastrous. Or it could be wonderful. Or somehow both at the same time.
MrSpanky wrote: signed. passed the 7500 mark
Rigmor wrote: Signed
Ultrametal wrote: This means nothing to Valve, they just gonna discourage people from making mods, since anyone can steal the idea and sell it with a different color.
softail4life wrote: Signed...thank you
Mindprobe24 wrote: Signed
shaithlis wrote: Signed
jradik wrote: signed
popcorn71 wrote: Sites not loading. Too many people trying to sing?

and signed. and forwarded the link to a few others. f*#@ that noise.

Really concerned about this website, given this rather large move by Valve. What will stop mod creators, game devs, and/or Valve from demanding this website be taken down on DMCA claims? This is a sad day for PC gamers, one of the biggest points of gaming on a PC is being entirely taken advantage of by a company that has nothing to do with the mods themselves.

even though for the most part i agree that this paid modding for bethesda games is a bad idea i would like to point out that these funds acquired from these paid mods a percentage is gonna go to Valve and Bethesda which i think most people can agree are both great companies. also this doesn't mean that free mods will go away. people will relies that no one wants to pay 25 cents for a sword or gun or whatever. however i do think that this is good for those people that create great mods that could even be considered on par with DLC. for example the upcoming Frontier mod for fallout nv ,but all in all having paid workshop mods is not the best idea it takes away from the great community we have built and makes the creation of mods all about money. the best thing we can do is just keep what we have been doing going on and show Valve and Bethesda how this just wont work out and its not an effective way to make money.

In response to post #24572569. #24572664, #24572779, #24573134, #24573299 are all replies on the same post.

phantompally76 wrote:
IgnacyOrder wrote: Im sure I wont be releasing my mod any more. I jsut keep it for myself because I dotn want someone now to steal it and make money for nothing. Or the fact I did use some stuff from modderss recources. Some people now may force me to pay for reeasing mod even thou its free. Makes me criminal then. I guess many modders wont want that problem

Youtuber mod showcases will die as well as it will be expensive hobby now
boulegue wrote: authors just like publishers will send their mods to reviewers for free so they get exposure
zzjay wrote: Lol you're right...i will never sell a mod...too many problems...of they close free modding ill jusy quit.

Modding is an hobby...not a job...if bethesda cant make thir own games pretty i dont see why to buy em at all...if i even have to pay for mods...mods are like essential for skyrim...without its worthless...
phantompally76 wrote: The question is how many of the irate modders out there tonight who are unendorsing chesko and isako's mods out of spite (which I don't condone, but totally understand) will in turn unsubscribe from Brodual, Gopher, and all the other popular mod reviewers that they perceive as being advocates for charging a fee for untested alpha content? So far I've only seen a reaction by Gopher, who was being diplomatically cautious about the whole thing.

I fear (and I really do hope I'm wrong) that this will also have an adverse affect on the Youtube modding reviews community. I'm not sure how many reviewers will risk losing subscribers, traffic and revenue by reviewing paid mods. Only time will tell.

zzjay you have made some great mods most of which are well up there in the 100,000 downloads so theres no disputing youre a great modder

but why do you want to take away others freedom to sell their hard work, if you dont want to sell yours thats fine and many think the same as you.... but if isoku and cheesko who are also great modders what to make money of off it why wouldnt you let them? noone is taking away our free mods valve and bethesda just gave us the option to monetize the work people put into their mods

In response to post #24573019. #24573104, #24573304 are all replies on the same post.

starfis wrote:
nivea wrote: This.
JoeyLock wrote: Download most of the most endorsed armour mods. eg stuff made by ZeroFrost and Corvalho1, Corval's stuff is some of the first to be 'pay for' despite the fact that in the Akatosh mod you get the Dragon Tongue sword which is on the Nexus for free anyway. I'm hoping other modders like gechbal doesn't turn to that sort of thing because I love his modding style.

make a list. no seriously make a list and post it front page.

In response to post #24571614. #24572234, #24572374, #24572469, #24572589, #24572669, #24572829, #24572854, #24572864, #24572984, #24572994, #24573004, #24573029, #24573229, #24573324 are all replies on the same post.

KaiserDeathIV wrote:
speash wrote: Signed
ShwayNorris wrote: Signed
Kerros wrote: Signed, thank you for the link
zzjay wrote: Will do tomorrow..cant open from phone :(.

I doubt it'll help...we can simply not buy em.
groupthinker1984 wrote: Way too soon for this kind of knee jerk reaction.

I agree that this COULD be absolutely disastrous. Or it could be wonderful. Or somehow both at the same time.
MrSpanky wrote: signed. passed the 7500 mark
Rigmor wrote: Signed
Ultrametal wrote: This means nothing to Valve, they just gonna discourage people from making mods, since anyone can steal the idea and sell it with a different color.
softail4life wrote: Signed...thank you
Mindprobe24 wrote: Signed (8305)
shaithlis wrote: Signed
jradik wrote: signed
popcorn71 wrote: Sites not loading. Too many people trying to sing?
BFNord wrote: and signed. and forwarded the link to a few others. f*#@ that noise.

Signed.

This is very bad news indeed. Thieves will steal free mods and charge forcing the real content creators to adopt this new pay method lest they be taken advantage of. The real ramifications of this won't be felt for a short while, but I believe it will negatively effect all of us. Mods like "Wet and Cold" which add loads of original content may someday be a thing of the past here on the nexus. I hope I'm wrong about everything.

Of course, it's up to the users at the end of the day. We have the biggest influence on companies like Steam. Remember the Diablo 3 paid auction house? That lasted a little over a year before being removed because users shunned the idea so much. The future is in our hands, and that's a very scary thought.

In response to post #24571334. #24571444, #24571634, #24571699, #24572244, #24572659, #24572814, #24573064 are all replies on the same post.

ShwayNorris wrote:
boulegue wrote: people developing without deadlines or publishers in their back cant be good? i thought we hate the big publishers who destroy our games and want exactly what is happening right now
ShwayNorris wrote: your taking something that's free and open and turning it into a closed market, that has never been good in all of history.
boulegue wrote: the market is just as open as it was yesterday or last year we just opened another door and thats the OPTION to charge for your mods noone forces you to sell them just as noone forces you to buy them its all optional
ShwayNorris wrote: making something that was free now have a charge is the same as changing the price of an item, you have now moved something that would previously been readily available to a higher tier, one that some who would have previously enjoyed said product will not be able to attain. you have just narrowed the market because you have excluded some from said product. also, when free, posting to both the Nexus and SteamWorkshop is not a hassle and allows for a broader reach, with the paid Mods being exclusive to steam you have narrowed the reachable audience.

there is no way that this will not have a noticeable impact before summer hits.
boulegue wrote: nothing that was/is free now cost any money noone took our lollipops away
ShwayNorris wrote: first off it's day one, the greater impact will be made clear as mods disappear and trickle over to steam. secondly your euphemism does nothing to discredit my statement.
boulegue wrote: yes my statement is based on facts yours on fear
your statement is purely hypothetical you have no evidence to base it on

my statements are based on how markets work something you clearly don't comprehend.