Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my extensive experience with modding communities... The "pay to mod" stuff will die out. The good modders will remember the unwritten rule of modding "mods are free, you make it because you want to, not to get paid" Any excuse about money from mods is invalid because you shouldn't be charging for mods in the first place. Go ahead and have a donation thing for the mod author, but you should not be charging for the mods.

I'm pretty sure that a majority of players will not pay for mods, and for good reason. From what I could tell, most of the mods that have been put up "for sale" are not of very good quality to begin with, speaking from what I've heard about the mods that is. None of the pay mods actually look that interesting to me in the first place.

Edited by SalesKital

Well, I guess for future bethesda games, running more than 3-10 mods at a time will be pretty rare. Long gone are the days where people can run 100+ mods changing the whole game to their liking. I myself probably run more than 400 mods. I would probably have to pay a year salary for doing that if paid mods were from the start of Skyrim with the ridiculous prices they're putting them up for on the workshop.

People also download mods to just test them before removing them maybe a day after, because it didn't do what they wanted or it was incompatible with other mods you have.

Or what if you find a mod that does the same as another mod you've already paid for a week before, but does it better? Now you've just wasted loads of money for nothing.

There is no way in hell Valve or Bethesda can monitor the modding landscape and make sure all mods work or aren't scams, or if the price is fair for what they offer.

This won't make better quality mods, this will make the modding landscape lose its fotting and fall down.

No way in any time or situations would I and probably hundreds if not thousands of other people, pay 5$ for a mod that makes water drip off my character, or 1$ for a tiny sword that I just looks a bit cool but it doesn't make any changes to the game or add a whole new story.

Hell most of the modders even use pirated tools to make mods, if they want to sell their mods they need to buy the license for commercial use, the cut valve takes won't make them break even unless they get an insane amount of subscribers. Good luck making thousands of dollars yearly on steam to break even on the tools you use.

If this is the future of PC and the modding community, I'm done. If you want money, put a donation button on your page, I'll gladly donate if your mod is worth it.

The whole reason why modding is an awesome thing, is because its free and its content can be used fairly. Personaly, charging money for a mod is not a good idea, and it can have some serious problems, especialy for those who uses content from others without permission.

On the Steam Workshop, there are several ripped models from different games, but is allowed due tp the fair use law, but if the said uploader wants people to pay for them, that will be a problem.

Horse armor, anyone?

I guess they got the wrong message from that debacle.... Odd.

Some charging more for mods than for the game itself it seems...

A far-cry from the Bethesda that individually burned the edges of maps in their basement, to enhance the user experience, for a product they were proud off....

I'm waiting this out, but I would never charge a single person for a mod.

I've been on the Valve/Steam hate bandwagon for years now because i could see the growing greed, but this is the final nail. I am going to do every legal thing i can to avoid them from now on as hard as it may be.

I'm so sick of them trying to rake in money for doing absolutely NOTHING. This is not the same company that gave us Half-Life, Left 4 Dead or Portal. They are now a bloated, money-hungry company that has turned into something akin to EA where profit is king over creativity. It's gross and i've literally had enough of them.

And i'm sorry, If you are making mods to make money you are doing it wrong. It will always be a losing scheme *unless* you are doing it to learn and hone a craft to get an *actual job* in the game development industry. Like the guy who made Falskaar (Alexander J. Velicky).

If money is any motivation to make mods you are going to be disappointed. But hey, people are greedy. I will have no part of it, though.