Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24607824. #24608079 is also a reply to the same post.

iiiimessiahiiii wrote:
foster xbl wrote: You might be speaking a little out of place there... it didn't matter to all those users getting free content, but I promise you it has crossed the minds of the creators of that content. And yes it is opportunistic, this opportunity has never ben available before now.
And I personally don't share the doom and gloom vision of it all.

Well, the nexus actually profits from the service it provides, not the modders per se. I'm not saying that they are not critical to the Nexus' existence, but it's not like they take a cut. I didn't support the modders when I supported Nexus, I supported the servers, the community, the service.

I believe they are fairly separate entities and if the guy who owns the site has a gold swimming pool (probably not), I wouldn't say he got it of the backs of poor modders. Modders wanted to provide free content, but had no means to list, advertise, and serve the content. I believe this is a win-win.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24607414. #24607549, #24607894 are all replies on the same post.

iiiimessiahiiii wrote:
foster xbl wrote: How is the that fact irrelevant?
Because it is the expected norm?
IMNdi wrote: @foster xbl "If everyone else can profit from an authors work, they should be allowed to as well"

This literally never happens. Either a mod is free, and the author gets 0 or 100% of donations (and nobody else gets cash) or it's not free, in which case a part of the cash gets to the developer, and the rest is taken by Valve and Beth.

"Set a price for your creation, list it for sale in the Steam Workshop, and earn a portion of sales" - Steam Workshop page.

Where in the name of all that is good did you get that _everyone_else_ can profit? Is there a scheme where SOME profit from mods that are not authors?

ETA: I believe I replied in the wrong place -_-

re-read the post...

In response to post #24602184. #24603359 is also a reply to the same post.

ashleyclark wrote:
marthgun wrote: It sounds like a great idea and wonderful time for your mod.

but if everyone thought this way, and mods like falskarr costs $15...and there were 100 of these mods... that's untenable. And would only open a black market, and everything that comes along with that, viruses, shadiness, people selling your stuff becomes even more prominent, etc,etc.

On a selfish level, its great, it might actually propel the mods to a new level. On a realistic level, it would never happen like that. in fact, i would suspect bethesda losing money on sells if that were the case.

I hear you there. like I said, I had 3 mods that I had subscribed to, weapon mods, and crafted some of the weapons, collected others, and then this morning I no longer have the mods, and the weapons are gone. I was pretty angry. I am glad it was not a house mod, for the only house mod(s) I use are my own, which are free. I will go back to playing a basic Skyrim before I pay for a mod or even charge for a mod. That is my opinion. Edited by ashleyclark

Its amazing how the mod authors keep this game alive for years and in less than 2 days greed of a company destroys it.

I have to say the damage is done,and its gonna take a LONG time for Bethesda to regain the trust of its supporters(if they didnt lost it completely beyond any chance of salvation).

The only way this gets forgotten is if u REMOVE that stupid pay to mod thing and gift a free DLC or something or hell the weekend price reduction of Skyrim should be left permanently due to your lack of judgment,

SERIOUSLY do u want to end up like Xbox,limping for the rest of your life while slowly dying

I've read trough 40ish pages till i stopped (just way too much to read till page 168 as it is now) but i wonder if anyone thought about how it will affect games yet to come?

Imagine a game like Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout (simply because THOSE are the most modded games in History from my POV) and try to remember what it was like playing the games when they released without mods at all.

They were all good but they had their flaws. Probably because developing a Game takes a long time and Dev's can not fix everything or even add all the neat little things they had in mind (Horse Armor DLC.... heh sorry had to bring this up =) ) till the set Release date. That's why patches exist and future DLC's are beeing released and of course the Community of said games come up with their own ideas wich are missing in the Game and the Dev's did not include it or didn't wanted it to be included and adding them via MODs.

This might be the old way games are beeing developed?!

I mean let's face it! Those Companies want to do 2 things.

1. Bring us a stunning and awesome game.

2. Make some profit.

We could debate now that they want to do more than just those 2 things but thats rather nit picking because it will always lead to those 2 major topics.

So as soon as i read the news the only thought wich crossed my mind was: "What will the "next moddable" game look like?"

Just as an exampIe; The next Elder Scrolls Title will be moddable again (why not?) but how will it effect the proccess of developing the game right now? Will they simply "forget" to add tiny little things so they can throw out "Mods/UGC's" for cheap and get rid of DLC's in General or are they intentionally making things user unfriendly?

"Oh yeah there is no 2 Handed Staff but you can download a mod wich adds this for just 0,50€/$"

"Ew horrible HUD for this game, let's check out the Workshop.... Great a better looking HUD for just 0,25€/$"

(didn't want to exaggerate here)

How could we distinguish between MODs wich are made for the sole purpose of making money and MODs wich are needed to make the Game not missing "important" features from our POV? (I mean everyones POV what is needed is different but we could agree on what is important in various games and clearly not included or forgotten or translated wrong etc.)

Right now i don't think the next Game will be like that but what about the future Games from different developers or indie games in particular wich are flooding Steam since a while and some trying to ripoff us Customers?

PS: Sorry for any misspelling, English isnt my main language but i tried my best =)

Edited by Meeporized

In response to post #24607824.

iiiimessiahiiii wrote:

You might be speaking a little out of place there... it didn't matter to all those users getting free content, but I promise you it has crossed the minds of the creators of that content. And yes it is opportunistic, this opportunity has never ben available before now.

And I personally don't share the doom and gloom vision of it all.

The future if bleak my friend. Keep in mind this is speculation but i see the future of games releasing as half finished buggy piles of garbage (not unlike bethesda games already are) that require you to make your own patches using tools they release for money and having to pay the publisher NOT THE DEVELOPERS for things they didnt even do. We are quite literally paying them to fix their games for them. And it all starts here. This transcends the argument and ethics of people being paid for work. This is staking the future of the community and quite frankly dooming us all into microtransaction freemium hell. But as i said this is speculation.

In response to post #24608569.

Meeporized wrote:

This is the reason I am against unofficial DLC (let us not disgrace the 20+ year mod scene by calling these mods. While they hold great quality, mods have been free modification to the game while DLC has been paid modification to the game). It has set a precedent, and that precedent will be built on and built on until the scene we love has died.

In response to post #24600134. #24600279, #24600504, #24600574, #24601074, #24601659, #24601729, #24601919 are all replies on the same post.

NoDebate wrote:
Salzber wrote: Yup The whole site is down for me.
freedom613 wrote: Maybe Valve shut it down due to the bad press? If so: Drinks are on me!
NoDebate wrote: I will hold you to that. Meet me in Seattle? We can go down to Bellevue after and clear up this mess. :)
raupao wrote: I smell a DDOS attack. Or something like that.
Ianc1 wrote: If it was a ddos attack then the whole site would be down, and not give an error
NoDebate wrote: Yeah, I concur Ianc1. This is specific to the Skyrim Workshop. I don't want to be wildly speculative but, perhaps Valve is taking a moment to reassess?
freedom613 wrote: @No Debate
If Valve removes this Steam Unofficial DLC nonsense, I will walk From Georgia to Seattle to buy you that drink!

@freedom613:

Screenshots or it never happened :P

In response to post #24600134. #24600279, #24600504, #24600574, #24601074, #24601659, #24601729, #24601919, #24608969 are all replies on the same post.

NoDebate wrote:
Salzber wrote: Yup The whole site is down for me.
freedom613 wrote: Maybe Valve shut it down due to the bad press? If so: Drinks are on me!
NoDebate wrote: I will hold you to that. Meet me in Seattle? We can go down to Bellevue after and clear up this mess. :)
raupao wrote: I smell a DDOS attack. Or something like that.
Ianc1 wrote: If it was a ddos attack then the whole site would be down, and not give an error
NoDebate wrote: Yeah, I concur Ianc1. This is specific to the Skyrim Workshop. I don't want to be wildly speculative but, perhaps Valve is taking a moment to reassess?
freedom613 wrote: @No Debate
If Valve removes this Steam Unofficial DLC nonsense, I will walk From Georgia to Seattle to buy you that drink!
XbelowmeX wrote: @freedom613:

Screenshots or it never happened :P

@Below
You want me to send screenshots of my trip to Seattle? Well I would rather take pictures, using a webcam then screenshoting that seems inefficient :P