Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24562964.

sovs wrote:

never gonna do that.free will prevail cause we do it for fun.besides its pointless to pay for mods of such an old game right now that there are thousands of mods for free

Mods are what kept the Elder Scrolls games alive for years. People are still buying Morrowind today and playing it for the first time, or replacing their long-lost disks to relive the great adventure in a new, shiny modded form. Luckily, they don't have to pay for any mods but Skyrim so far. But think ahead: Fallout 4 will certainly release with full Steam Workshop support, including monetization. It won't be "such an old game" unworthy of modding on its launch day, will it?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24562404. #24562524, #24562599, #24562684, #24562874, #24563024 are all replies on the same post.

ramccoid wrote:
AmraHobbes wrote: Thank you. Your mods are some of the best.
HrvojeRaznjevic wrote: ramccoid, I use almost all of your mods. Keep up the good work mate
Elianora wrote: Same here.
FiendishGhoul wrote: Kudos to both of you, Elianora & Ramccoid!
NoDebate wrote: Thank you (to you both - and anyone else who continues modding for the sake of modding).

Thanks ramccoid and Elianora for all the hard work you have both done with your mods it does go very appreciated

In response to post #24562194. #24562354, #24562709, #24563084, #24563309 are all replies on the same post.

trainwiz wrote:
BlueFenix wrote: PRAISE BASED TRAINWIZ
Dark0ne wrote: Like.
NoDebate wrote: Thank you trainwiz. You my n'wah.
raupao wrote: You give me hope.

But goy, don't you know there's mad shekels to be made?

In response to post #24562744. #24562994, #24563154, #24563214, #24563259, #24563324, #24563384, #24563414 are all replies on the same post.

galger2013 wrote:
aceventura45 wrote: You haven't seen the recent posts made on the Wet and Cold mod here, at nexus. Everyone is ripping on isoku. There are a lot of people calling him/her nasty things. I'm sorry, internet assholes are everywhere, nexus is sadly no exception.
FiendishGhoul wrote: Uh, no, I'll stand up for the Nexus' users here (or maybe the moderators, not sure), because there's a big difference between saying that you've uninstalled or unendorsed or whatever, versus some of the really extremely virulent language I was reading over on Steam.
TenderHooligan wrote: @aceventura

Yeah. I get people being mad, but I saw those comments on W&C and felt disgusted. If those are the sort of entitled and immature people most mod authors have to deal with all the time, then I can understand why they'd want some $ for it.

@FiendishGhoul...I've seen some of the virulent language here on Nexus as well. Certainly not as bad as on Steam, but it's there. Expect to see a lot of ban reports coming in today.
Lordkabal26 wrote: I'm not gonna rip on him but I don't agree with his decision to lock it behind a paywall. He's not gonna have as many people accessing it if he released it for free here as well. And with less people using it there will be more bugs going undetected.

I for one won't be buying his mods, or ANY mods on the workshop if there isn't a corresponding release here on the Nexus as I don't use workshop mods, I download from here in most cases as I make use of the Nexus categories in Mod Organizer to keep my mods organized
NoDebate wrote: Folks are pissed. The ability to spew what you like is very easy on the internet. That said, the execution may be off base but, the message is clear.
SvarogNL wrote: Well.. Wet and Cold uses SKSE assets en have no persmission to be Sold.

It's a major flaw in the system.
About68cows wrote: Yeah the people who use the workshop clearly don't want to actually do something about it.

The only thing I did on the W&C is say I'm unendorsing and uninstalling. I don't support their behavior, especially when they have tidbits of other people's work inside their own.

Early on, I get the impression that what is going to happen in the future, is that modders on the Nexus will keep their old content here but release new mods and updates of old mods (eg bug fixes, compatibility with other mods) as payware Steam Exclusives. About the only thing you can do to protest is to revoke your endorsements from such authors. Love is overrated; greed is the most powerful force in the universe.

The ability to make your own changes to a game, create your own content, download the content of others, and modify it to your own needs is a wonderful thing. In a console-centric world, very few PC games now support community content, though people have had limited success modifying mod unfriendly games, like the GTAs.

Skyrim will be the last game witha great modding community :( Fallout 4 will be a payware extravaganza. Nobody will share content, modders won't help other modders, collaborators with get into arguments about how to divvy up the spoils.

In response to post #24562194. #24562354, #24562709, #24563084, #24563309, #24563459 are all replies on the same post.

trainwiz wrote:
enrikiller wrote: But goy, don't you know there's mad shekels to be made?

As will mine.

It's true that modders deserve more consideration than they usually get for their work and that I probably should have openly supported them and the nexus page more in past. However, this is clearly not the way to go.

Bethesda's product sell as good as they do due to the effort their community is willing to put into the game after release and now they decide to go the extra mile by pracitcally employing modders without any wage! Sure the modders deserve a piece. Bethesda has already got a huge piece when we bought their game. But what on earth entitles them to share the modder's profit?

It's like the super market and the meat industry cash in retroactively on whatever credit we deserve for cooking a delicious meal with the meat we bought.

I don't know about you but I just realized I cannot afford the 200+ mods I use if they're each sold for 1€-5€. The fact that I have never seen it this way before is one problem. The fact that they might cash in big with a new Skyrim patch that forced us to update all our mods is another one...

In response to post #24562194. #24562354, #24562709, #24563084, #24563309, #24563459, #24563644 are all replies on the same post.

trainwiz wrote:
enrikiller wrote: But goy, don't you know there's mad shekels to be made?
yourenotsupposedtobeinhere wrote: As will mine.

Much appreciated