Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24565169. #24565699 is also a reply to the same post.

jim_uk wrote:
Velgath wrote: I'm waiting for things to cool down a bit first before making my mind up, but honestly I've been thinking of just concluding my time with Skyrim altogether too, with all of this happening.

Witcher 3 is right around the corner, and I'm thinking of actually getting into creating mods I may actually release publicly on that.

On that note CDPR as far as they're stance isn't the type to support paid for modding. So I will always look to that.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read the comments section on "wet and cold" and i´m pretty dissapointed by some of the posts. Guys, don´t forget: It takes people like Isoku weeks and maybe months of time to create a mod, YOU just click "download with manager" and enjoy this guys work. Then you go and click "endorse" and thats it.

And some people just take this for granted, start complaining when a mod does not work the way they expected it, or conflicts with another mod they use.

And now Mod-authors see a way to get some coin for their time and work? Rightly so! They deserve it! They put as much work into their mods as a full-paid programmer at bethesda or any other company.

Just - please - remember: This all exists on a voluntary basis. Don´t start to run down somebody whose work you used for years, taking for granted that he just works and releases for YOU.

English is a second language for me, so - sorry if anything isn´t understandable. Just my opinion.

I do not and will not work for Bethesda - not 25% and not 75%. If they're too lazy/greedy to build their games on a modern game engine, I don't see any reason to help line their pockets (even if they can't talk Microsoft into doing it anymore). Edited by Maeldun0

In response to post #24565684. #24565749 is also a reply to the same post.

Brumbek wrote:
Zaldiir wrote: Wait a little bit. See if the updated donation system here on NexusMods will make more people donate. :thumbsup:

If it doesn't increase the amount of donations, then I don't blame you for wanting just a little bit of compensation for your hours of work. $1 or $2 is definitely not greedy - just a shock for a lot of people.

Your awesome you have caused alot of joy in alot of people and have created satisfaction and an echo within the community

I loved your compassion at the end Dark0ne:

"What I will say, however, is that many mod authors have mods on the Nexus and on the Skyrim Workshop, some of whom already have paid mods on the Workshop. I've taken a quick look at the comments on those paid file pages and some of the things being said are horrific. While I'm sure no one is shocked by that, this is the internet after all, simply looking at it reminds me of one of the main reasons we do what we do here. We moderate. We try to fence off a little piece of the internet where your actions have consequences, and with that in mind, if we see anyone attacking or abusing mod authors here because they have paid mods up on the Workshop you'll be gone. Instantly. With no warning.

The Nexus is for everyone from every background, colour, creed, and political, religious or sexual persuasion. We strive to make this a community where anyone and everyone can enjoy something here away from hate. And that includes mod authors who want to make money. So if you break that peace and attack mod authors here for what they've chosen to do, you'll be gone. By all means debate, but when your debating becomes abusive, it's no longer debating. "

In response to post #24565684. #24565749, #24565819, #24565944 are all replies on the same post.

Brumbek wrote:
Zaldiir wrote: Wait a little bit. See if the updated donation system here on NexusMods will make more people donate. :thumbsup:

If it doesn't increase the amount of donations, then I don't blame you for wanting just a little bit of compensation for your hours of work. $1 or $2 is definitely not greedy - just a shock for a lot of people.
athiust wrote: Your awesome you have caused alot of joy in alot of people and have created satisfaction and an echo within the community
Velgath wrote: My biggest problem with the new system as-is is it kind of screws with people using alternative modding tools like Mod Organizer. Your mod is very worth a fee, but I still wouldn't buy it if it were on Workshop... that said, I may have just clicked a button on your profile page.

What I think is an option, and an error on Valve's part for not thinking of/considering this, is to make payment optional.

Was there not a thing in the music market (with CD sales only suffering more as years go by) where some artists put up a "pay what you want, or nothing at all" for the mp3's and the sales made for them reached above what they had earned on previous works?

A non-negotiable option should have been to have the mod for free, with payment a convenient option (ideal with Steam have it's Wallet).

There ARE people out there who want to vote with their wallet. But they're not given the option. Instead, they are forced to offer their wallet or are refused the content. And as made obvious, Valve will paywall anything, not even trusting us to use our money to show thanks.

It differs from Paypal Donations because the question is directly forced upon the user. Whereas a Donation button can be skipped or ignored.
Being asked on the spot if you actually want to pay nothing for the content you're about to receive, plays on our sense of morality. Edited by RJ the Shadow

In response to post #24565569. #24565839, #24565999 are all replies on the same post.

Elianora wrote:
SirTopas wrote: I applaud your stand, especially in light of the exceptional quality of your work. Question is, what recourse will you have if someone releases a paid mod using any of your resources?
A1Shareef wrote: now THIS deservse a Donation Mr.

Believe me Elianora, I would love to pay for them! But I know it's not the amount of what I could pay that demonstrates the high value of your job and in fact your resources and ideias are being used for several other modders. Edited by Aryell