ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is, how long does anyone REALLY think Bethesda and Steam will wait before coming after mod sites like Nexus? They're greedy, plus Nexus will now have to monitor uploaded mods for content posted from behind the paywall. Or face cease-and-desist orders.

Just like with Atari in the early 80's, greed is destroying the game business.

In response to post #24564764. #24564899, #24565059 are all replies on the same post.

Schmornoff wrote:
Schmornoff wrote: btw getting money for your mods would mean the realy good modders with millions of downloads would be able to "live" of it for some parts which would mean they would have more time for the actual modding and even awsomer mods would come out.
RJ the Shadow wrote: I know of and am grateful that there will always be people like you who will just mod for the spirit of it, and not to further themselves in any material way.

That said, I doubt that (if anything in the past has been any indication) that the cut being taken from these mod 'sales' will be enough for a modmaker to make a living. Maybe the nr.1 and assuming the Paid Workshop thing actually takes off.

I won't divert further into this because doing so might cause a whole debate to appear which might leave a sour aftertaste to what was intended to be a word of thank and praise.
Cheers.

doubt it too ;) as I said paypal donation would be enough totaly.
And thanks :D

In response to post #24564064. #24564289, #24564449, #24564849 are all replies on the same post.

savagesouls wrote:
Faralai wrote: It will hurt it badly, greedy modders will stop posting here and might just stick to steam where they can make money.
Aedred wrote: I feel sick, knowing that since this is actually happening much sooner than I thought it would, what follows next will be worse... as Sandhorse said.

and reiterating what I mentioned in Dark0ne's previous post, "You'll be hard pressed to find a good mod for free", it's only a matter of time before more people get enticed by the lure of money.
savagesouls wrote: I may be hopefull but i don't think that many authors would fall into this. How many mod authors worked theirs asses to bring us new exciting content. Even when somes players were hard on them. Thoses guys kept updating theirs mod.

But yes, I agree that there's going to be a mess with "modders wars", stealing assets and somes nice mod becoming DLCs. :/

if I for mods pay should, then the time of the mods for me is over!
of course it's hard work what modder make, but I have already paid a lot of money for game and DLC's that supposed to be enough.

In response to post #24564864. #24565084 is also a reply to the same post.

Majitsu wrote:
Aedred wrote: No, they're not, not at the present time.

That's why this whole thing is shady, and possibly illegal, as hel.
They are asking money for a product containing assets they don't even own. Edited by windu190

Finally mod makers can get some compensation for their effort.

Though I gotta say the 75%-25% split in bethesda's favor is cringe-worthy. I'd prefer a 70%-30% in the modders favor, since were doing the work of creating the mod and they're just providing a platform for it.

Still, a good first step nevertheless. :)