Quick updates to the site, money money money edition

Dark0ne

In response to post #24608229. #24608459, #24608944, #24609039, #24609259, #24609439, #24609544, #24609824, #24609959, #24609974, #24610559, #24610884, #24610914 are all replies on the same post.

WightMage wrote:
Rifleman556 wrote: The lack of people understanding this is astounding.
Dark0ne wrote: Thanks for continuing to link it to people who are reading Chesko's good bye Reddit post without seeing my response. My feelings are that writing a full blown news post on the topic would make things worse, not better, at this time. I'll do it if it's really necessary, but I think for now, my responses in that Reddit thread have helped to clarify the situation.

I'm thankful to the couple of mod authors out of the current ones on the paywall site who have selected the Nexus as a Service Provider, and I promise/pledge to them that the money raised will be going towards paying for a new forum server setup. It definitely won't cover it, not by a long shot, but it's a nice little boost to that kitty fund. So thank you to them.

Obviously Chesko wanted to lose some flak by trying to point a finger at me. That's fine, he's had a rough time. But it was hardly helpful.
anonownsyou wrote: It's not hypocritical, it's just an opportunity for mod authors using the workshop to remember who their friends are, and make Valve give a little something back to those friends out of their own cut. It's very likely that if it weren't for the Nexus, those authors would not be in a position to sell their content in the first place (everyone deserves a pat on the back and some beef jerky for their work). It's really just a small courtesy to the Nexus, and if it helps even just a little bit to keep the Nexus healthy and free, then all the better. So long as it doesn't come with any kind of 'kiss our ass, love Valve' condition, then it's not blood money.
Kentsui wrote:

Still, it should have been brought up in one of the articles only for the sake of transparency.
Draugas wrote: Exactly anonownsyou. You put it better than I did.

I also want to thank Dark0ne for everything. Keep your chin and the hard work up.
BenevolentTyrant wrote: The fact that its chump change is what makes it hurt more in my opinion. If it doesn't affect the bottom line it should've been an easy choice to turn down.
mALX1 wrote: It isn't hypocritical at all, and it is smart business because no one can change the Valve-Bethesda tide rolling; and if they don't keep a foot in the door we could lose Nexus.

Nexus has been a home and haven for modders as long as I can remember. They have helped us all without advertisement; and bandwidth for this place has to be hugely expensive.

Their premium membership here is the most reasonable on the web; I was more than glad to help this site in any way I could.

I would never consider asking money for a mod I made, but if I did, would much rather the cut go to Nexus than Valve.

Just my two cents.

** Edit:

AnonOwnsYou said it better than I could.

phantompally76 wrote: I don't view it so much as hypocrisy, but rather that while you were decrying Valve's actions publicly with one hand, you had come to an understanding with them in the other to receive revenue from them, and failed to disclose that information to your own already apprehensive and outraged community of revenue generators.

Actually, having read that sentence back a few times to myself....that bloody well IS hypocrisy.

At any rate, it's your website, and it's not my place to tell you or anyone else how to conduct your affairs.

All I know is that since this bombshell dropped yesterday, I haven't downloaded any mods or logged into Skyrim at all, and I have no inclination to do so at the moment. I hope that wears off, but right now I feel like abandoning the game and the mods entirely.

I liked modding a lot better when it was a hobby rather than a business.
Dark0ne wrote:
The fact that its chump change is what makes it hurt more in my opinion. If it doesn't affect the bottom line it should've been an easy choice to turn down.

Obviously I had no idea what sort of money I'd be getting from it. If it was a small amount, it could go towards a server kitty. If it was a large amount, I dreamed of hiring on more programmers for NMM. Irrespective, every little helps, and I didn't want to turn down what was, and still is, a kind gesture both from Valve and the mod authors who choose the Nexus as a service provider just because some people misguidedly might think I was being two faced.

I went in to it from the get go that this was a donation to supporting the Nexus, and this in no way endebted me to supporting or advocating the use of Steam Workshop. I've been offered a hell of a lot more money over the years than what this could even potentially bring in if it took off massively, and I haven't done it yet. So for people to doubt my intentions now. Meh. Don't know me at all. Or at least, people don't read the many blog posts I've written about this very topic in the past.
Arthmoor wrote: @Dark0ne:

I'd have set Nexus as a service provider for the one mod I have in the pay system now but I had a question about it that Valve didn't get around to answering until after the listing was approved. Authors can't change the payment distributions AT ALL once the listing is approved for sale.
hangman04 wrote: Dark0ne, don't worry this is just the heat of moment. After 1-2 months everyone will be complaint. Worse things have happened in the gaming industry ( pay to win in mmorpgs, even the dlc system) and people were lashing and swore they would never do this or that, and by the rage one would say that the companies will go bankrupt etc etc. But the truth is that almost every "unethical" change became eventually the norm, and this (mod authors getting payed) is by far the fairest addition. It's just a matter of time. You will probably loose the people who started swearing on the forum and you had to ban them :)).
Dark0ne wrote: Thanks Arthmoor, and no worries.

I saw that you weren't best pleased that I didn't make the service provider information public from the get-go on your forums. I can see your point, and I can understand the knee-jerk negative reaction coming from the way Chesko pointed at me in his Reddit thread. Obviously, if I'd been more open about it from the start then I could have managed the community response more easily.

But in the same vein, this just seemed a no brainer to me. It was sold to me on the premise of letting mod authors who are fans of the Nexus and want to support the Nexus giving a little back to the Nexus through this system, and it most definitely wasn't offered as a token of "hey, we'll offer you this if you're nice to us!". Obviously people don't know that, but the service provider blurb on the sites is pretty clear, and many people have mistaken my open talking of poor implementation of Steam's paywall system as me some how championing free modding EVERYWHERE, which most certainly hasn't been my intention. I just begrudge how badly it's been handled, rather than the over-arcing concept.

When Chesko made the Reddit thread it was already late here in the UK, and I've taken the decision to leave it a night. If it blows up or seems to be a big issue, I'll clarify the Service Provider stuff more. If it doesn't, I'll leave it be.

It seems Dark0ne has already made up his mind, but I personally would like a move away from this. Saying you want modding to remain open and free is all well and good, but accepting funding from Steam's paywall service IS a direct conflict of interest.

If you can justify it to yourself that's fine, but i'm extremely dissapointed that you are supporting this, no matter how indirectly.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 25% is too small a cut for the modders, but I fully support their ability to make money off of their labor. And since anyone that wants to create and distribute free mods can still do so, I don't see how this changes anything aside from some more complex legal issues about using other peoples content that will get sorted one way or another. Much ado about nothing. This is going to happen no matter how much the naysayers protest. I have had mods in my head for years that have never happened because I work around 60-80 hours a week to pay my bills. I'm going part time and diving into modding for the first time because now it can help me pay the bills. This is going to give us even more content, not less. Bethesda and Valve did not take anything from us, authors must decide if they want to charge for their work, or if they want to distribute it for free. Since it is THEIR work, we have to respect their wishes. Except the few who will pirate them anyway, pretending it is in the name of some just cause instead of the pure theft it is. Hopefully that will open them up to prosecution.

I believe in the idea of supporting modders so they can do what they love, they can't eat kudos or pay rent with endorsements. However Valve and Bethesda's shortsightedness in implementing their system is staggering, it's maybe heading in the right direction but it's bulldozing its way across the countryside to do so. The Nexus way has always been the best that I've seen, flaws and all, and it appears to have taken another step for the better in response. In that you have, and have had for years, my utmost respect and gratitude and I can't see that changing. Thankyou, seriously! Stability, reliability and responsibility are undervalued and hard to find these days and yet we need them so badly!

"We'll" get through this, "we" always do. Lessons will be learnt, people will take up the empty seats etc. and life will continue. It's always the same, humanity is a bit of a swinging pendulum, often all or nothing, most of us watch in frustration from the middle as the nutters go from one extreme to the other "on our behalf" eugh....

I believe the Nexus will only gain from this as the ever reliable, and hopefully Valve will get a wake up call at last to all the lack of moderation side of Steam's more recent big ideas. I hope people will be willing to accept/forgive etc. regardless. We are a community, the only thing that divides it is us ourselves surely? All this only makes us appreciate what we have, had and will have as long as we will it to be so. Compared to what much of the world is going through right now, this is overblown, but the passion behind it is inspiring and hopeful nonetheless. Thanks.

In response to post #24612364.

Walruscopter wrote:

They knew exactly what was going to happen. This was nothing more than a cash grab, an attempt to exploit an abandoned game that was still going strong due to mod presence, and if it kills the community, all the better in their eyes - those users will now have to buy TES:Online or the next Bethesda sequel if they want more ES content.

In response to post #24608229. #24608459, #24608944, #24609039, #24609259, #24609439, #24609544, #24609824, #24609959, #24609974, #24610559, #24610884, #24610914, #24612029 are all replies on the same post.

WightMage wrote:
Dark0ne wrote: Thanks for continuing to link it to people who are reading Chesko's good bye Reddit post without seeing my response. My feelings are that writing a full blown news post on the topic would make things worse, not better, at this time. I'll do it if it's really necessary, but I think for now, my responses in that Reddit thread have helped to clarify the situation.

I'm thankful to the couple of mod authors out of the current ones on the paywall site who have selected the Nexus as a Service Provider, and I promise/pledge to them that the money raised will be going towards paying for a new forum server setup. It definitely won't cover it, not by a long shot, but it's a nice little boost to that kitty fund. So thank you to them.

Obviously Chesko wanted to lose some flak by trying to point a finger at me. That's fine, he's had a rough time. But it was hardly helpful.
anonownsyou wrote: It's not hypocritical, it's just an opportunity for mod authors using the workshop to remember who their friends are, and make Valve give a little something back to those friends out of their own cut. It's very likely that if it weren't for the Nexus, those authors would not be in a position to sell their content in the first place (everyone deserves a pat on the back and some beef jerky for their work). It's really just a small courtesy to the Nexus, and if it helps even just a little bit to keep the Nexus healthy and free, then all the better. So long as it doesn't come with any kind of 'kiss our ass, love Valve' condition, then it's not blood money.
Kentsui wrote:

Still, it should have been brought up in one of the articles only for the sake of transparency.

I also want to thank Dark0ne for everything. Keep your chin and the hard work up.
BenevolentTyrant wrote: The fact that its chump change is what makes it hurt more in my opinion. If it doesn't affect the bottom line it should've been an easy choice to turn down.
mALX1 wrote: It isn't hypocritical at all, and it is smart business because no one can change the Valve-Bethesda tide rolling; and if they don't keep a foot in the door we could lose Nexus.

Nexus has been a home and haven for modders as long as I can remember. They have helped us all without advertisement; and bandwidth for this place has to be hugely expensive.

Their premium membership here is the most reasonable on the web; I was more than glad to help this site in any way I could.

I would never consider asking money for a mod I made, but if I did, would much rather the cut go to Nexus than Valve.

Just my two cents.

** Edit:

phantompally76 wrote: I don't view it so much as hypocrisy, but rather that while you were decrying Valve's actions publicly with one hand, you had come to an understanding with them in the other to receive revenue from them, and failed to disclose that information to your own already apprehensive and outraged community of revenue generators.

Actually, having read that sentence back a few times to myself....that bloody well IS hypocrisy.

At any rate, it's your website, and it's not my place to tell you or anyone else how to conduct your affairs.

All I know is that since this bombshell dropped yesterday, I haven't downloaded any mods or logged into Skyrim at all, and I have no inclination to do so at the moment. I hope that wears off, but right now I feel like abandoning the game and the mods entirely.

Dark0ne wrote:
The fact that its chump change is what makes it hurt more in my opinion. If it doesn't affect the bottom line it should've been an easy choice to turn down.

Obviously I had no idea what sort of money I'd be getting from it. If it was a small amount, it could go towards a server kitty. If it was a large amount, I dreamed of hiring on more programmers for NMM. Irrespective, every little helps, and I didn't want to turn down what was, and still is, a kind gesture both from Valve and the mod authors who choose the Nexus as a service provider just because some people misguidedly might think I was being two faced.

I went in to it from the get go that this was a donation to supporting the Nexus, and this in no way endebted me to supporting or advocating the use of Steam Workshop. I've been offered a hell of a lot more money over the years than what this could even potentially bring in if it took off massively, and I haven't done it yet. So for people to doubt my intentions now. Meh. Don't know me at all. Or at least, people don't read the many blog posts I've written about this very topic in the past.

I'd have set Nexus as a service provider for the one mod I have in the pay system now but I had a question about it that Valve didn't get around to answering until after the listing was approved. Authors can't change the payment distributions AT ALL once the listing is approved for sale.
hangman04 wrote: Dark0ne, don't worry this is just the heat of moment. After 1-2 months everyone will be complaint. Worse things have happened in the gaming industry ( pay to win in mmorpgs, even the dlc system) and people were lashing and swore they would never do this or that, and by the rage one would say that the companies will go bankrupt etc etc. But the truth is that almost every "unethical" change became eventually the norm, and this (mod authors getting payed) is by far the fairest addition. It's just a matter of time. You will probably loose the people who started swearing on the forum and you had to ban them :)).

I saw that you weren't best pleased that I didn't make the service provider information public from the get-go on your forums. I can see your point, and I can understand the knee-jerk negative reaction coming from the way Chesko pointed at me in his Reddit thread. Obviously, if I'd been more open about it from the start then I could have managed the community response more easily.

But in the same vein, this just seemed a no brainer to me. It was sold to me on the premise of letting mod authors who are fans of the Nexus and want to support the Nexus giving a little back to the Nexus through this system, and it most definitely wasn't offered as a token of "hey, we'll offer you this if you're nice to us!". Obviously people don't know that, but the service provider blurb on the sites is pretty clear, and many people have mistaken my open talking of poor implementation of Steam's paywall system as me some how championing free modding EVERYWHERE, which most certainly hasn't been my intention. I just begrudge how badly it's been handled, rather than the over-arcing concept.

When Chesko made the Reddit thread it was already late here in the UK, and I've taken the decision to leave it a night. If it blows up or seems to be a big issue, I'll clarify the Service Provider stuff more. If it doesn't, I'll leave it be.
zerolovesyuki wrote: It seems Dark0ne has already made up his mind, but I personally would like a move away from this. Saying you want modding to remain open and free is all well and good, but accepting funding from Steam's paywall service IS a direct conflict of interest.

If you can justify it to yourself that's fine, but i'm extremely dissapointed that you are supporting this, no matter how indirectly.

You should read all the posts where it's been clearly pointed out that the only thing Dark0ne wants to remain open and free is the Nexus; there's no conflict of interest because Dark0ne openly admits to being behind modders getting something out of it, so long as the Nexus itself remains free and open.

You folks keep putting words in his mouth with this insistence that he's some sort of champion for free mods all the time everywhere, but that's simply not the case, and that's the same as stating that Dark0ne thinks modders don't deserve to be paid for their time and effort. The opposite has been repeatedly (seriously, repeatedly, there is an extensive record of this) and openly stated for some time.

Besides, there's a little poetic justice in Valve paying just a little bit towards keeping the Nexus free.

In response to post #24608229. #24608459, #24608944, #24609039, #24609259, #24609439, #24609544, #24609824, #24609959, #24609974, #24610559, #24610884, #24610914, #24612029, #24612584 are all replies on the same post.

WightMage wrote:

Kentsui wrote:

Just my two cents.

** Edit:

Dark0ne wrote:

zerolovesyuki wrote: It seems Dark0ne has already made up his mind, but I personally would like a move away from this. Saying you want modding to remain open and free is all well and good, but accepting funding from Steam's paywall service IS a direct conflict of interest.

anonownsyou wrote: You should read all the posts where it's been clearly pointed out that the only thing Dark0ne wants to remain open and free is the Nexus; there's no conflict of interest because Dark0ne openly admits to being behind modders getting something out of it, so long as the Nexus itself remains free and open.

You folks keep putting words in his mouth with this insistence that he's some sort of champion for free mods all the time everywhere, but that's simply not the case, and that's the same as stating that Dark0ne thinks modders don't deserve to be paid for their time and effort. The opposite has been repeatedly (seriously, repeatedly, there is an extensive record of this) and openly stated for some time.

Besides, there's a little poetic justice in Valve paying just a little bit towards keeping the Nexus free.

Robin...not that you'll see this...but take it from someone that's been around for 44 ROUGH years: RELAX!!! You've done so damn much for all of us. You've cancelled your "Spain" trip cause of this, and those of us that can comprehend what we read know/knew what this was all about. People are just in a damn hype cause of all this new 'change' headed their way, and you know how most people feel about any change at all. I'm with you 100% and Chesko....he is/was just lashing out and you were the recipient of that. Scapegoat maybe? Not sure. I support YOU Robin.

In response to post #24608229. #24608459, #24608944, #24609039, #24609259, #24609439, #24609544, #24609824, #24609959, #24609974, #24610559, #24610884, #24610914, #24612029, #24612584, #24613009 are all replies on the same post.

WightMage wrote:

Kentsui wrote:

Just my two cents.

** Edit:

Dark0ne wrote:

anonownsyou wrote: You should read all the posts where it's been clearly pointed out that the only thing Dark0ne wants to remain open and free is the Nexus; there's no conflict of interest because Dark0ne openly admits to being behind modders getting something out of it, so long as the Nexus itself remains free and open.

Reaper0021 wrote: Robin...not that you'll see this...but take it from someone that's been around for 44 ROUGH years: RELAX!!! You've done so damn much for all of us. You've cancelled your "Spain" trip cause of this, and those of us that can comprehend what we read know/knew what this was all about. People are just in a damn hype cause of all this new 'change' headed their way, and you know how most people feel about any change at all. I'm with you 100% and Chesko....he is/was just lashing out and you were the recipient of that. Scapegoat maybe? Not sure. I support YOU Robin.

Long live the Dark 0ne, he who protects the most holy Nexus, birth-mother of all that has been imagined and yet to be imagined! Long live the Robin, arch priest of the Dark 0ne, who doth maintain the Nexus with his most holy blood, sweat, and occasional cup of coffee!

Glory to the Dark 0ne, who even drowned in temptation sticks to his holy guns... of freedom for all to choose what they want out of their modding experience, whether it be paid, OR free!

So sayeth the Book of Scott.

In response to post #24612364. #24612569 is also a reply to the same post.

Walruscopter wrote:
8_of_11 wrote: They knew exactly what was going to happen. This was nothing more than a cash grab, an attempt to exploit an abandoned game that was still going strong due to mod presence, and if it kills the community, all the better in their eyes - those users will now have to buy TES:Online or the next Bethesda sequel if they want more ES content.

If you have problems paying your rent and still mod in your free time you need to work on your priorities.....

It was like this:Modder A makes a mod for free and uses other mods for free,Now it's will slowly become like this:

Modder A makes a mod for free ,Modder B uses it but makes his own mods for cash.Why would Modder A give Modder B his mod for free? Edited by Salzber