Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

In response to post #24646984. #24647104, #24647439 are all replies on the same post.

Psijonica wrote:
SchwererGustav wrote: This post wwll be deleted in...3...2...1...

You will see ;)
bigdeano89 wrote: Way to sound like an entitled 12 year old man. Dark0ne has been honest from the start. Good luck trying to find another site btw, all the others are either gone or ALSO took the service provider option. That includes AFKmods etc.

Dark0ne is not the only site to do that, so stop making them out to be the bad guys. Nexus has been around for years giving mod authors FREE space for mods big and small.

As you paint yourself as the saviour of the free modding community

This post wwll be deleted in...3...2...1...

Why would I delete it? It's a perfect example of the people who don't actually read what I write and, in the process, make themselves look stupid. Edited by Dark0ne

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24637444. #24637704, #24638489 are all replies on the same post.

Milleuros wrote:
Dark0ne wrote: I completely respect and understand your point of view. For me, it's about the gesture of thanks and support the mod author wants to make to the Nexus. We all rationalise these things in different ways to ourselves, to make it seem bad or make it seem OK. I've rationalised it so that I'm OK with it, and I wanted to share that rationale with all of you.
Kentsui wrote: That first paragraph (from Milleuros) is actually a good way of explaining how I feel about this.

While it not being a secret, I feel coming forward about it in your first post about the paid Workshop opening would certainly have done more good than bad.

Considering how things turned-out between Chesko and Valve they certainly need to make some changes FAST or it'll continue to be a mess for everyone.

That 25/75 split is outrageous though and modders really REALLY should think about it twice.

I don't believe in the statement black vs white only. There's always a grey area. It is easy in retrospect to look at a situation and say "You should have done this and I would have done that." That's not how real life works. There are no choices you make that do not have consequences. He made his choices based on what information he has available at the time. The justification he made in this blog justifies his thinking in the benefit of the mod users more than anything. It's not like he's earning money and spend it on himself. He's using the revenue to fund the site for users to download mods for free.

Call me a realist, but the real world cost money and you cannot live by principles alone.

In response to post #24646984. #24647104, #24647439, #24647524 are all replies on the same post.

Psijonica wrote:
SchwererGustav wrote: This post wwll be deleted in...3...2...1...

You will see ;)
bigdeano89 wrote: Way to sound like an entitled 12 year old man. Dark0ne has been honest from the start. Good luck trying to find another site btw, all the others are either gone or ALSO took the service provider option. That includes AFKmods etc.

Dark0ne is not the only site to do that, so stop making them out to be the bad guys. Nexus has been around for years giving mod authors FREE space for mods big and small.
Dark0ne wrote:
As you paint yourself as the saviour of the free modding community

This post wwll be deleted in...3...2...1...

Why would I delete it? It's a perfect example of the people who don't actually read what I write and, in the process, make themselves look stupid.

Because 2 of my comments got delleted befor...

The 1st was a bit aggressive the 2nd not at all.

In response to post #24647324.

ArmoredTroll wrote:

I would not.

They would use lawyers to take that site down, to protect the image of their "products" (paid mods). That would show how much they care about "Content Creators" and supporting them.

Well said Dark0ne.

Let us all take a deep breath and calm down. As long as game developers allow modification on their products and not declare it as illegal then it is not the end of free modding, besides if a mod creator chooses to sell his mod or share it for free, there is not much we can do about it, of course we can whine and rage about it but ultimately it is the mod maker's choice to make.

At the very least, the Nexus and Valve should protect mod makers from mod theft, of course it is easier said than done but then that is one of their responsibility.

So chill and take a breather guys and wait for how it will all pan out.

In response to post #24637584. #24638209 is also a reply to the same post.

Laast wrote:
GenBloodhorn wrote: Youre the guy from purity mod.

well done on that mod. still cant pay for it tho :3

You were lucky to not be chosen as a scapegoat simply because your new mod was not on the Nexus for free from the beginning. Not to mention you had not promised a new update on the Nexus and then offer it on steam behind a paywall. People get emotional quickly when they feel betrayed, no matter what you have done for them in the past.

In response to post #24637444. #24637704, #24638489, #24647534 are all replies on the same post.

Milleuros wrote:
Dark0ne wrote: I completely respect and understand your point of view. For me, it's about the gesture of thanks and support the mod author wants to make to the Nexus. We all rationalise these things in different ways to ourselves, to make it seem bad or make it seem OK. I've rationalised it so that I'm OK with it, and I wanted to share that rationale with all of you.
Kentsui wrote: That first paragraph (from Milleuros) is actually a good way of explaining how I feel about this.

While it not being a secret, I feel coming forward about it in your first post about the paid Workshop opening would certainly have done more good than bad.

Considering how things turned-out between Chesko and Valve they certainly need to make some changes FAST or it'll continue to be a mess for everyone.

That 25/75 split is outrageous though and modders really REALLY should think about it twice.
locomotive1236 wrote: I don't believe in the statement black vs white only. There's always a grey area. It is easy in retrospect to look at a situation and say "You should have done this and I would have done that." That's not how real life works. There are no choices you make that do not have consequences. He made his choices based on what information he has available at the time. The justification he made in this blog justifies his thinking in the benefit of the mod users more than anything. It's not like he's earning money and spend it on himself. He's using the revenue to fund the site for users to download mods for free.

Call me a realist, but the real world cost money and you cannot live by principles alone.

Dark0ne, always supporting and get where you're coming from with the scale of a web site.

loco, nothing's ever B&W, it's better to not generalize with statements like that and just take in what there is to offer and decide on it from there (as opposed to, "this is good", "this is bad", "this is grey-ish"). Not bashing, just something a lot fall into. Not only that, it seems pretty obvious *most* protesters are just whining about having to potentially pay for mods, should the creator decide to go that route. I don't think any of us can do anything more than react to this when changes are made, and make a wave if things do start to go sideways. The idea is good, the practice needs a bit of work though, eh? Edited by PharCry

In response to post #24637839. #24638219 is also a reply to the same post.

bla08 wrote:
gastovski wrote: Agreed completely. YES or NO.

Keep in mind he may have to consult his lawyer and verify what he is allowed to say regarding his agreement with steam/valve on the 5%. It is not as clear cut as you'd like. Say the wrong thing and get sued by Valve and the whole site comes crashing down.

That said, he should have posted earlier about the issue, he also should have known not to participate. However, better late than never, no?

In response to post #24645764. #24646449, #24646594, #24646624 are all replies on the same post.

volfin wrote:
Azradun wrote: Before, no one had the motivation to scam people, now they will have one.
PharCry wrote: If no one wants to pay for the mod, they don't have to. What are you even talking about Azradun? And the 24 hour policy is there as well. I swear I'm done after this post unless I open my browser again...
sunshinenbrick wrote: Let us also not forget Skyrim was a bugged out mess of a game when it was released. Continuous digs for payment in order to have a finished game will be next.

thats a pretty ignorant thing to say...

think about it, if it were a scam, nobody would buy it, so the "author" wouldn't even get any money....

even the first person who buys the crap mod will see that it is a crap mod, and return it, posting a comment saying that it is a scam mod, and nobody else will get it........

that's the whole point of the return feature.