So Windows 10 is actually spyware.

The title made me smile... I was stupid enough to switch to Windows 10 during chemotherapy... I didn't read the small print. Chemotherapy is like a bottle of vodka with each meal... small print ha!!!! Who needs small print???? Anyway much too late I realised that the opportunity to switch back had long since passed. No problem... I'll reinstall 7 from disk... no... 10 doesn't like that. OK no problem I'll reformat the hard drive... no 10 didn't like that one either. At that point I got my husband to look as well (he wasn't on chemo and like me is a computer scientist - a much better one!). Nope 10 didn't listen to him either so while he was trying to sort a solution I wiped the whole caboodle with Ubuntu... I stuck on Wine, fiddled about and hey presto Steam runs perfectly (thus Skyrim is fine) and so is Oblivion under Wine... I haven't yet managed to get the mod manager to run under Wine - that's my next task but I've been clean of MS for nearly 3 months now. It's amazing how much freeware and shareware there is for Ubuntu. If I can once again add mods to Oblivion I'll be delighted...

I must admit I did wonder why MS wanted to give 10 to me free. They never showed any signs of that before. Extricating yourself from 10 is really messy if you miss the deadline. I'd say don't install Windows 10... even if they pay you too!!!!!!! :laugh:

BTW I didn't realise how fast my machine was until I switched to Ubuntu...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Help please, today is my first day, I want so much to create a house mod...well I have high hopes, and no idea where to start, but my concern is, my PC is with Windows 10 so I need to know what is the very best system. I have an old XP, and I think I have a Windows 9.. but the Windows 10 is no very old, is it good for mods, and where do I go to get started? Thanks so much in advance! Oh yea I want to get a lifetime membership is that a good idea? Any real advantage? -Thanks again.

LABTECH, on 01 Aug 2015 - 1:53 PM, said:

What you say is absolutely true, I am a conspiracy theory fan but this is not a conspiracy it is a fact.

Well, then I´d call it a conspiracy fact. The concept of conspiracy isn´t equal to theory; it can be a theory but it can also be fact, hence conspiracy fact :smile:

And yes, I don´t touch Win10. I´ll stay with 7 for as long as I can and then it´s time to say hello to Linux :cool:

Edited by Mirocu

Help please, today is my first day, I want so much to create a house mod...well I have high hopes, and no idea where to start, but my concern is, my PC is with Windows 10 so I need to know what is the very best system. I have an old XP, and I think I have a Windows 9.. but the Windows 10 is no very old, is it good for mods, and where do I go to get started? Thanks so much in advance! Oh yea I want to get a lifetime membership is that a good idea? Any real advantage? -Thanks again.

Hi Norma,

In all honesty i didn't find windows 10 terrible but still felt that there was a bunch of things (Bugs/Glitches etc) that needed to be worked out. Overall, i would suggest downgrading from win 10 preferably to win 7 and wait until it's in a better state than the state it is in now. As for modding the link i've included is a playlist of tutorial videos for the skyrim creation kit which you can use to create weapons armor etc. Link to playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE3E7CC13B95E5AB6&feature=view_all. You can download the creation kit from steam for free.

Furthermore, i would also suggest downloading blender found here https://www.blender.org/, you can use blender to create meshes for any mods you want to make so on and so forth.

As for lifetime membership, you can get that from here http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/store/category/1-premium-membership/

If nothing else, you can try putting a mod request here with what kind of house you would like etc http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/forum/422-skyrim-mod-requests/

All in all, i would start small when it comes to modding. Creating a weapon or armor for example.

Cheers,

ShayVizla

Edited by ShayVizla

• 2 weeks later...

So far I've been able to keep win 7 updates running and block all the 10 stuff from my machine. Turn it on this morning and svchost.exe is chewing up lots of resources and the only way to put a stop to it is to stop the updates. I did want to keep updates going for security but after this it's off and staying off. From what I was reading this morning despite their claims they will auto install 10 on older win OS computers by the end of this year.

Don't know if they have just started trying something new to force it onto me. I don't care for having to problem solve issues created by them and especially don't like the idea of having to mess around with FNV GECK just to get it to run with 10.

@mindboggles - I bought my current computer in 2009 and immediately turned off Windows Update. Apart from one malware incident I have not had any security problem whatsoever.

I also turned it off for my previous XP computer just to try it out - never had a problem at all.

@Micro$oft - Stop forcing crap on us, you gits! :mad:

So far I've been able to keep win 7 updates running and block all the 10 stuff from my machine. Turn it on this morning and svchost.exe is chewing up lots of resources and the only way to put a stop to it is to stop the updates. I did want to keep updates going for security but after this it's off and staying off. From what I was reading this morning despite their claims they will auto install 10 on older win OS computers by the end of this year.

Don't know if they have just started trying something new to force it onto me. I don't care for having to problem solve issues created by them and especially don't like the idea of having to mess around with FNV GECK just to get it to run with 10.

They have openly said that for Intel Skylake (and newer) machines they will force Windows 10 and not allow driver development or support of "outdated" versions of Windows (such as 7 or 8.1) for these "so much more advanced" machines (e.g. next-gen after Skylake will not have drivers for <Windows 10). I haven't read anything that indicates they will force Windows 10 onto older machines - I think they're more interested in helping to sell new hardware (that's probably how they got the hardware mfgrs to go along with them).

As far as svchost using "a lot of resources" - it's tough to say what specifically is causing that, and not all Windows Update operations are "forced Windows 10" (Windows 10 is actually downloaded by gwx.exe and if you've blocked gwx.exe, or just randomly were not "selected" (the "update to Windows 10" applet is inconsistent at best IME - I own four machines that meet the requirements for it, and only one ever received gwx.exe (before Windows 10 was even released)). Certainly it has been demonstrated that Windows 10 has been silently downloaded on many machines and its possible this was happening on your system, but it could've been some other operation as well.

Give this a look:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-remove-windows-10-installation-files-from-windows-7-and-windows-8-1-pcs-491602.shtml

(and keep in mind - this is not 100% of machines; from what I've seen its as inconsistent as ever getting gwx.exe or other update notifications)

Edited by obobski

I certainly hope they don't force Win 10 on us. I have just had my desktop rebuilt and after some probs with the AMD video drivers everything is fine with Win 10. But when I upgraded my gaming laptop it was a disaster, my laptop keyboard stopped working and I had to revert back. I refuse to have an expensive machine crippled by Mikeysoft.

I certainly hope they don't force Win 10 on us. I have just had my desktop rebuilt and after some probs with the AMD video drivers everything is fine with Win 10. But when I upgraded my gaming laptop it was a disaster, my laptop keyboard stopped working and I had to revert back. I refuse to have an expensive machine crippled by Mikeysoft.

It depends on what CPU the system has - if it has Skylake, you get Windows 10, full stop (because supposedly Skylake is "too advanced" to run Windows 7 or 8.1 - all of the machines running it now are just a fantasy and don't/can't exist teehee.gif (seriously that's essentially what they're claiming: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/01/15/windows-10-embracing-silicon-innovation/ (for the less technical, more or less 100% of this article ranges between blatant FUD and flat out bald-faced lies))). If it has Broadwell (or earlier) you don't (because despite being faster and more power efficient (especially when it comes to graphics), Broadwell is apparently "massively outdated" and therefore "compatible" with the equally "massively outdated" Windows 7 and 8.1).

AMD will be forced up with Bristol Ridge (Excavator).

Anything later than Skylake/Bristol Ridge will not be allowed to support Windows 7 or 8.1 (because again, "they are too advanced to be compatible"), which will therefore likely include AMD's yet-to-be-released K12/Zen platform (the FX replacement), and (per Microsoft) Intel's upcoming Kaby Lake platform.

I don't think "spyware" properly encompasses Windows 10 at this point - Extreme Tech called it "malware" in a recent editorial and honestly I think that's the best way to describe it at this point.

Edited by obobski