So Windows 10 is actually spyware.

I'd be pretty pissed if someone was adding jizz to my flippin pizza. I better get 1000x my investment on that pizza in compense.

And yet you're perfectly fine with a keylogger and something constantly collecting information by means of a webcam or microphone, without any way to disable it, control what information it transmits, or knowing if the methods of this transmission are even secure. Nevermind the very little disclosure related to how this information will be used beyond making Cortana work better and alerting local law enforcement if something you did or type was illegal.

Everything logs this stuff now. Get wit the times.

I suppose you also leave your door open to let people just wander through your house taking what they want, staring at you while you piss, s#*!, shower, change clothes, and freely hand out your financial information to anyone who asks... Just because you're fine with it doesn't mean everyone else should just "get with the times".

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. But you take things a bit serious when everything now relies on information that helps the new apps or devices work.

I ain't trying to fight.

Even as staff, you tend to forget we all have our own opinions, and opinions are not right or wrong, they are based on individual beliefs. Your posts seem to never leave room for discussion; it is meant as an end all post.

No. I don't leave my door open. Yes, I do sleep near a loaded gun. No, I've never had to use it.

I'd be pretty pissed if someone was adding jizz to my flippin pizza. I better get 1000x my investment on that pizza in compense.

And yet you're perfectly fine with a keylogger and something constantly collecting information by means of a webcam or microphone, without any way to disable it, control what information it transmits, or knowing if the methods of this transmission are even secure. Nevermind the very little disclosure related to how this information will be used beyond making Cortana work better and alerting local law enforcement if something you did or type was illegal.

Everything logs this stuff now. Get wit the times.

"Get wit the times." This may not be good advice for people working or volunteering in health care (HIPAA), families under WITSEC, Spec Ops vets, journalists, Child Care Centers, local law enforcement or Neightborhood Watch communities.

But people like MotoSxorpio and I just want to enjoy the technologies available, so we don't have much to worry about.

However, the other people who are taking this "too seriously", let them take it seriously. It won't hurt us, but may be a bit annoying lol. It will be beneficial down the road in software development.

Thank openthegate, for the link to GUN.ORG. . fasanating stuff on there.

I have a good friend who is a computer mechanic. who works for the colleges keeping all their PCs running smoothly.

I asked him " what the hell is this Windows 10 icon? and why does it keep wanting me to download Windows 10 ? "

He said " it's free, but do not download it. in anyway shape or form. . it is full of Gliches and paked with SPY WARE ."

Enough said. : Those who promote Windows 10 are cashing in. on finding out about what we do or buy. :pirate: pirates of the first degree.

His them talking about Windosws 10.? Quote " It will be beneficial down the road in software development. : "

so we don't have much to worry about." LOL if so. pirates also. . . are we all Muppets.? :ohmy:

Windows 10 might as well Host up the skull and crossbones. :hurr:

Edited by soulgamers

This is not gonna work. See here:

https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html

I just wanted to point-out and/or ask: you joined just to post inflammatory anti-Windows content in this thread, while also promoting Linux (including providing links to a specific, and obscure distro (as opposed to, for example, linking to Distrowatch or some other general website))? I certainly understand having a preference for a given platform, but your motives seem highly suspect.

Thank openthegate, for the link to GUN.ORG. . fasanating stuff on there.

I have a good friend who is a computer mechanic. who works for the colleges keeping all their PCs running smoothly.

I asked him " what the hell is this Windows 10 icon? and why does it keep wanting me to download Windows 10 ? "

He said " it's free, but do not download it. in anyway shape or form. . it is full of Gliches and paked with SPY WARE ."

Enough said. : Those who promote Windows 10 are cashing in. on finding out about what we do or buy. :pirate: pirates of the first degree.

His them talking about Windosws 10.? Quote " It will be beneficial down the road in software development. : "

so we don't have much to worry about." LOL if so. pirates also. . . are we all Muppets.? :ohmy:

Windows 10 might as well Host up the skull and crossbones. :hurr:

Just because your friend has an opinion doesn't make it a fact, nor is it a good reason to make accusatory or defamatory statements about people who disagree with your friend's opinion. Personally I would encourage you to form your own opinions based off of experience and knowledge, but if you must rely on the opinions of others to inform your choices and decisions, please don't try to represent them as indisputable facts.

As far as "this Windows 10 icon" - it is related to the GWX.exe application that was made available to Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 systems via Windows Update. It checks your computer for compatibility with Windows 10, and then provides information about how to reserve your free copy of Windows 10. It is not trying to force you into anything, it is simply acting as a notifier. It can be safely removed or disabled if you would like (and Microsoft has provided directions for this on their website (this is not a hallmark of spyware), you can also find information about it via a web search, and I would assume that any competent "computer mechanic" (never heard that one before) could also figure out how to remove it). Not all eligible systems received the GWX.exe application, this was covered back on the first page and in other places; Windows Update settings, licence status and type, and (seemingly) dumb luck play a factor in whether or not it deploys correctly. Broadly the application is similar to the "Windows Upgrade Advisor" applications that have been released since Vista, but also provides access to the free upgrade promotion (which is new for Microsoft).

Again, there should be no reason to upgrade to Windows 10 unless you truly want to, as Windows 7 and Windows 8 will continue to receive updates for many years to come, and developers are unlikely to abandon them as a platform anytime soon, especially with many large organizations and companies only just making the switch to Windows 7.

Edited by obobski

No, you're wrong. I was here since September last year. Just like anybody else, downloaded mods to play with. Now Vagrant0 started a discussion about Spyware and I just wanted to share my knowledge as former Windows user and as current Gnu/Linux user.

People defend Microsoft because everything works for them and don't give a s*** about freedom and privacy in the virtual life. You can say what you want, but it doesn't change the fact Microsoft spies on you. They keep their system top secret and you don't know what happens behind scenes.

Windows 7 and 8 will run out someday. What are you gonna do? Do have any idea how Windows 11 is going to be? Or everything above? Things won't get better without an radical change. If you want to keep Windows, simply keep it, but don't cry about spyware. Nobody tells you to use Windows or Gnu/Linux. The choice is yours.

I just wanted to open my mouth to say you, there is an way out. For some users easier, for some users harder. The time, where Gnu/Linux was hard to use is over. There are even distros that have the look and feel of Windows. Superior applications with superior quality for every task. Low system requirements to run on older hardware. The ability to customize the desktop to your personal liking. Working together as community to make it even better.

No system is perfect, but a real system begins with Open Source and respect to the users.

Edited by openthegate

No, you're wrong. I was here since September last year. Just like anybody else, downloaded mods to play with. Now Vagrant0 started a discussion about Spyware and I just wanted to share my knowledge as former Windows user and as current Gnu/Linux user.

People defend Microsoft because everything works for them and don't give a s*** about freedom and privacy in the virtual life. You can say what you want, but it doesn't change the fact Microsoft spies on you. They keep their system top secret and you don't know what happens behind scenes.

Windows 7 and 8 will run out someday. What are you gonna do? Do have any idea how Windows 11 is going to be? Or everything above? Things won't get better without an radical change. If you want to keep Windows, simply keep it, but don't cry about spyware. Nobody tells you to use Windows or Gnu/Linux. The choice is yours.

I just wanted to open my mouth to say you, there is an way out. For some users easier, for some users harder. The time, where Gnu/Linux was hard to use is over. There are even distros that have the look and feel of Windows. Superior applications with superior quality for every task. Low system requirements to run on older hardware. The ability to customize the desktop to your personal liking. Working together as community to make it even better.

No system is perfect, but a real system begins with Open Source and respect to the users.

There's a lot of potentially good things to this post, couched with a lot of politically motivated anti-corporatism and Linux fanboyism. Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying Linux is bad, or that people shouldn't use Linux - it's a fine platform for what it is. The same goes for Windows, OS X, BSD, etc. They all have their pros and cons. You, or anyone else, is certainly welcome to their opinion, but with hedged statements like "a real system..." or "the fact is..." or "there is a way out..." it pretty much mutes any discussion that disagrees with your opinion.

I would also contend that it is naive to assume that simply using Linux will eliminate "spying" (and/or be a magic bullet for "privacy concerns") - as bben said, if there's something you don't want floating around in the wild world, don't put it on a computer, and especially not one connected to the Internet.

Edited by obobski