So Windows 10 is actually spyware.

I understand what you say. Im just a user, no fanboy.

"a real system" ---> Yes with Windows you have a system you can work with. If you can live with spyware there is no reason to avoid Windows 10.

"there is a way out" ---> This is just a solution for people who wish to switch. The topic here is "Spyware", so this would be an option to talk about.

I don't want to talk more than absolutely necessary.

Edited by openthegate

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It checks your computer for compatibility with Windows 10,

Nope. The first computer I tried to update using that failed. why? Because when I tried to run the update using that icon, Win10 says the CPU in that computer is not supported. (Intel Core Duo P8700) That should have been the first thing the Windows update looked at for compatibility. This computer has been running Win7 x64 pro for several years. Based on that, it does not bother to check for compatibility before sticking that icon on your system.

I do use Linux. Currently Ubuntu, But I have used several distros at various times. It works fine for most things. But for PC games, Linux is not ready for prime time yet. I have put several of my relatives on Linux because they just do not need the gaming capability of Windows. They are perfectly happy with being able to surf the web, update their Facebook and maybe some light word processing. Linux works fine with the simpler games they may play ( Farmville, Words with friends, Angry Birds, Candy Crush etc) My sister is working on her sixth novel using Ubuntu and Libre Office - her agent doesn't even know she doesn't use their recommended MS Office to submit her work.

Does your 60 year old aunt Betsey who mails out a yearly 3 page update on what she has done in her life over the past year to everyone on her Christmas list really need a full blown version of MS Word? Or your high school student need a full version of MS office to print out the 300 word essay that is due next week? Or will something like Open Office or Libre Office work just as well?

MS is not particularly evil, they are just following the crowd in making their newest OS a free program. With this change, you are no longer the customer to MS, you are the product being sold. The way this works is the cost is supported by you allowing them to gather information about you and your personal life and shopping habits - just like Google, Face Book and many other 'FREE' programs. Those programs are not really free, they are being paid for by the advertisers and marketing companies that want your personal information. And you have been willingly giving it to them in return for the 'service' they provide in return. MS does not want to steal your financial data, but some of their customers who are buying your data probably do. Do I approve of this change in direction by MS? Not at all. and I have long since moved a lot of my own stuff to Linux based systems. However, many PC games just will not work on Linux (yet) so I do have to use Windows until Linux can run mainstream games at least as well as Windows .

Will I update to Win10? Probably, but not right away. My current Win7 works fine and there is no panic to upgrade to the newest super duper version of Windows just because it is newer.

Another bit of information:

Microsoft starts charging for missing Windows 10 features

It sounds a bit stupid, but I guess there will be quite a few people who will rather use Windows Store and pay for an app they believe they can trust (because it comes from Microsoft or a Microsoft approved source) than do their homework and look for a free alternative. Myself, I use VLC player for video/DVD playback, AIMP3 for music and streaming audio playback, and Audacity for editing sound files.

Linux: it is nice and stuff as long as you use it for work. As a gaming platform it is "geeks only".

Win 10 looks to be the equivalent of a Distro now. Most "software" is now in the "app" category, thus everything costs money.

I recently updated to Windows 10. Took all of 17 minutes once it actually began "installing" Windows 10. 20 minutes of "checking for updates" before hand, but hey...the actual install took less than 20 minutes. Beats its predecessors. I was able to immediately play my already installed games from steam, GOG and others.

I was also able to disable most of the "spyware" that is getting all the hype. Though a door might still be open, I have yet to open that door.

The UI seems like a good mash up between Win7 and Win8.1, with full access to all my already Win7 installed applications as well as access to now dormant Win10 Apps (unpin, disabled services, etc).

I boot Win10 in 7 seconds. Win7 was 12 seconds. That's off an Intel 120 SSD. AMD RAID5 is intact.

Anyone else that actually tried out this OS have anything to add?

It sounds a bit stupid, but I guess there will be quite a few people who will rather use Windows Store and pay for an app they believe they can trust (because it comes from Microsoft or a Microsoft approved source) than do their homework and look for a free alternative. Myself, I use VLC player for video/DVD playback, AIMP3 for music and streaming audio playback, and Audacity for editing sound files.

Linux: it is nice and stuff as long as you use it for work. As a gaming platform it is "geeks only".

And I can still install opensource software, to which I had two already installed and worked immediately after the usual UAC/SmartScreen approval.

you know... i dont even mind. i know a guy who can make a solitaire game that works just like it has in the past (even i could if i honestly wanted to) either way i think this could lead to something good in the future. make the program and sell it bare bones for really cheap or free and then charge for add-ons and modules, this frees up space and lets people get exactly what they want instead of having a ton of programs they dont even use. saves everybody money and can let Microsoft drop things nobody wants and can save money that way.

the only issue i have with this is that they have all the freakin spyware garbage. im happy they have it so you can disable a lot of them and that they are clearly not hiding the fact that that is what their doing though; i can respect that. unlike facebook which does a real good job on not letting you know that part. i think things will get better and just like windows 8 may even be a step in the right direction.

you know... i dont even mind. i know a guy who can make a solitaire game that works just like it has in the past (even i could if i honestly wanted to) either way i think this could lead to something good in the future. make the program and sell it bare bones for really cheap or free and then charge for add-ons and modules, this frees up space and lets people get exactly what they want instead of having a ton of programs they dont even use. saves everybody money and can let Microsoft drop things nobody wants and can save money that way.

the only issue i have with this is that they have all the freakin spyware garbage. im happy they have it so you can disable a lot of them and that they are clearly not hiding the fact that that is what their doing though; i can respect that. unlike facebook which does a real good job on not letting you know that part. i think things will get better and just like windows 8 may even be a step in the right direction.

Doodmon..its Solitaire. I have 100s of decks of cards....