⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Path of Sorcery - Magic Perk Overhaul (WIP)

steelfeathers

Destruction

• Student: Destruction (0/35) > All Destruction spells are 0.5/0.75% stronger per Destruction level. All Destruction spells consume less magicka per Destruction level. Cost reduction caps at 50/70%.
  • Destruction Dual Casting (20) > Dual casting a Destruction spell overcharges the effects into an even more powerful version. (Dual cast spells cost 50% more to cast and are 25% stronger)
  • Impact (40) > Dual-cast Destruction spells have a 33% chance to stagger the target.
  • Elementalist (40) > Your elemental spells become 5% more powerful every time you use a destruction spell with a different element than the previous spell used. Effect stacks if another elemental destruction spell is cast within 10 seconds. Boost caps at 30%.
  • Force Of Nature (60) > Unlocks spell chaining. Elemental spells cast in different combinations on the same target will cause various secondary effects. (Fire/Ice: "Brittle", reduces armor rating; Ice/Shock: "Electroconductive",reduces shock resist; Electric/Fire: "Flash-Point", causes a magical explosion)
  • Augmented Flames (25/55) > Fire spells do 15/30% more damage and you gain 15/30% fire resistance.
  • Searing Pain (35) > Fire spells inflict grievous burns that prevent regeneration and lower attack damage for 10 seconds.
  • Intense Flames (50) > Fire damage causes targets to flee if their health is low.
  • Wildfire (80) > Fire spells cause opponents who are low on health to burst into flame, spreading fire wherever they go.
  • Phoenix Rising (100) > Once a day, if your health falls below 15%, you emit a fiery explosion that damages nearby opponents. For 30 seconds afterwards, you rapidly regenerate health and your fire spells are 50% stronger. (Can only choose 1 elemental mastery)
  • Augmented Frost (25/55) > Frost spells do 15/30% more damage and you gain 15/30% frost resistance.
  • Chilled To The Bone (35) > Opponents who have run out of stamina take 60 additional frost damage over 2 seconds. 15 second cooldown per target.
  • Deep Freeze (50) > Frost damage paralyzes targets if their health is low.
  • Frostborn (80) > Your mastery over winter evokes the legends of old, which say that sailors who froze to death on a Sea of Ghosts became ice wraiths. Targets frozen by Deep Freeze will die when hit by your frost magic, and their spirits will transform into hungry ice wraiths.
  • Winter's Fury (100) > Once a day, if your health falls below 15%, you emit a wave of sub-zero cold that freezes all nearby opponents for 4 seconds. For 30 seconds afterward, you are protected by a shield of ice that deflects 80% of incoming damage, and your frost spells are 50% stronger. (Can only choose 1 elemental mastery)
  • Augmented Shock (25/55) > Shock spells do 15/30% more damage and you gain 15/30% shock resistance.
  • Static Drain (35) > Shock spells absorb magicka from the target.
  • Disintegrate (50) > Shock damage disintegrates targets if their health is low.
  • Power Surge (80) > Shock spells have a 10% chance to deal twice as much damage, and a 1% chance to deal 5 times as much damage.
  • Stormlord (100) > Once a day, if your health falls below 15%, all nearby opponents are struck with a bolt of electricity that deals massive damage and absorbs 100 points of magicka. For 30 seconds afterwards, your shock spells are 50% stronger. (Can only choose 1 elemental mastery)
  • Apprentice Rune mage (20) > Can place up to 2 runes twice as far away.
  • Subtle Magic (30) > Rune casting spells are silent.
  • Master Rune Mage (60) > Can place up to 5 runes 3.5 times as far away.
  • Ambush (80) > Runes deal twice as much damage if the target is unaware that anything is amiss.
  • Ward Breaker (60) > Elemental spells are 50% more effective against resistant targets and 200% more effective against targets casting ward spells.

Illusion

• Student: Illusion (0/35) > All Illusion spells are 0.5/0.75% stronger per Conjuration level. All Illusion spells consume less magicka per Illusion level. Cost reduction caps at 50/70%.
  • Illusion Dual Casting (20) > Dual casting an Illusion spell overcharges the effects into an even more powerful version. (Dual cast spells cost 50% more to cast and are 25% stronger)
  • Quiet Casting (40) > All spells you cast from any school of magic are silent to others.
  • Second Wind (30) > Courage spells boost magicka and stamina regeneration by 100%.
  • Last Stand (50) > Courage spells boost magic resistance by 50% and armor rating by 200.
  • Arise (70) > Courage spells double the amount of damage dealt with weapons and magic for 15 seconds. 60 second cooldown per target.
  • Mesmerize (30) > Calm spells cause the target to drop their guard - armor rating is reduced by 100, and they will ignore crimes against their allies. Calm spells now work on higher level opponents.
  • Geas (50) > Activate a calmed target to turn them into an ally for 10 minutes. You can only have one enthralled ally at a time. The geas will break if you attack the target. Peaceful targets have a chance to become hostile after the geas ends. Calm spells now work on higher level opponents.
  • Lasting Peace (70) > Calm spells have tripled duration and permanently raise the target's relationship with the player by 1 level. Calm spells now work on higher level opponents.
  • Panic (30) > Fear spells cause the target to drop their weapon. Fear spells work on higher level opponents.
  • Paralyzing Terror (50) > Fear spells have a 30% chance the paralyze the target for 5 seconds. Fear spells work on higher level opponents.
  • Scared To Death (70) > Fear spells instantly kill weaker opponents who are low on health. Fear spells work on higher level opponents.
  • Consuming Rage (30) > Frenzy spells drain 2% of the target's health per second while the target is not actively engaged in combat. Frenzy spells work on higher level opponents.
  • Fratricide (50) > Frenzied targets deal 50% more damage to other members of their race and 50% more damage to faction allies. Effect stacks. Frenzy spells work on higher level opponents.
  • Mayhem (70) > Those affected by a frenzy spell have a chance to spread their rage to other nearby opponents. Frenzy spells work on higher level opponents.
  • Bestial Minds (20) > Illusion spells last 50% longer when used on animals and creatures. Mind-altering spells affect higher level animals and creatures.
  • Humanoid Minds (40) > Illusion spells last 50% longer when used on people. Mind-altering spells affect higher level people.
  • Foreign Minds (60) > Illusion spells work on undead, daedra and automatons.
  • Telepathy (40) > Grants the lesser power "Telepathy", which allows you to see through the eyes of another. Magicka is consumed to maintain the telepathic link. Foreign Minds allows you to see through the eyes of undead, daedra, and automatons.
  • Puppeteer (80) > Grants the lesser power "Mind Control", which allows you to take control of the mind and body of another. Magicka is rapidly consumed to maintain the telepathic link. Foreign Minds allows you to take control of undead, daedra, and automatons.
  • Shadow Weaver (40) > While undetected, activate a target to transform their shadow into a hostile mirror phantom for 30 seconds. Low level targets may flee in terror.
  • Decoy (80) > After successfully creating a shadow phantom, you gain invisibility for 10 seconds.
  • Master Of The Mind (100) > Specialize in a type of Illusion magic: Calm, Fear, Frenzy, or Courage. Your chosen specialization receives a powerful bonus.
    • Calm = Those enthralled by Geas will now be enthralled forever; attacking a calmed target will result in a critical strike that does 2x damage.
    • Fear = Those affected by Fear take twice as much damage; magicka and stamina will now be absorbed from those affected by Fear.
    • Frenzy = WIP
    • Courage = Arise will now last for 30 seconds and has no cooldown; those affected by a Courage spell will rapidly regenerate health.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are everyone's thoughts on ASIS compatibility? Is it something I should invest time and effort into before posing the mod? (Which will invariably delay the release date). Also, does anyone know HOW to make a perk mod compatible with ASIS? Because I haven't got a clue.

On another topic entirely, there is bit of a disclaimer that probably needs mentioning.... In order to be as compatible as possible while still allowing perks to do cool things, this mod is reliant on quite a few scripts. You won't notice them normally, because I've taken great care to make sure they only activate when needed, but during battle there is a lot of processing that happens in the background, particularly if you are throwing around a lot of destruction spells. I've never had any problems, even when using my old non-gaming laptop, but if you are using a dinosaur or if you are in a brawl with 50 battle mages all throwing around magic at the same time...you'll probably see noticable lag in between casting a spell and the secondary effect occuring. Or, if your script lag is really bad, the effects may not happen at all. Just putting that out there.

Looks SOOO good. Shame you've shelved the phantasm idea, seemed cool for both rp and function. Maybe in the illusion school, if your still looking at ideas for illusion, have branches that work with summoned phantasms that don't deal physical damage, but exhaust the target/drain stamina/magic with hits? like increasing duration or the drain. Perhaps a mirror image skill that summons a copy of yourself that act as a decoy, perks increasing the number of copies?

I've always wanted a mod that did something interesting with familiars, as it seemed like such a cool concept that was never touched on. Maybe make the perk only allow you to choose an actual familiar animal (not an atronach) that doesn't count towards the summon limit.

Did you ever consider adding non elemental branches/spells to destruction? Things like the classic magic missile/disitigration ray/etc. ?

Looks SOOO good. Shame you've shelved the phantasm idea, seemed cool for both rp and function. Maybe in the illusion school, if your still looking at ideas for illusion, have branches that work with summoned phantasms that don't deal physical damage, but exhaust the target/drain stamina/magic with hits? like increasing duration or the drain. Perhaps a mirror image skill that summons a copy of yourself that act as a decoy, perks increasing the number of copies?

I've always wanted a mod that did something interesting with familiars, as it seemed like such a cool concept that was never touched on. Maybe make the perk only allow you to choose an actual familiar animal (not an atronach) that doesn't count towards the summon limit.

Did you ever consider adding non elemental branches/spells to destruction? Things like the classic magic missile/disitigration ray/etc. ?

There were several practical problems with the phantom idea. 1) I couldn't decide whether the phantoms should be their own separate spells, or an activate option when sneaking behind someone (there are problems and advantages for each options), 2) I didn't want to make the phantoms just a bunch of familiar-type creatures, because several mods (including my own Lost Grimoire) add a bunch of Familiar conjuring spells, but the object phantoms were a pain to make work right, and some of them were just too buggy to use, 3) PerMa has a branch dedicated to phantoms, and I don't want to hear a bunch of people whining about how I'm ripping off PerMa.

As for Destruction, I didn't realize that "disintegration rays" were classic spell type...? lol

(Elementalist and Force Of Nature are meant to cater to those players who specialize in diversity, anyway)

I don't suppose you would add a perk to add armour to your skeletons (using the skeleton armour from Dawguard?) That would be a really cool touch!

That would be cool. Unfortunately, the soul cairn skeletons aren't actually wearing armor - they just have a different mesh than the normal skeletons. Skeletons can't wear any armor except for circlets.

That said, I could cheat and just swap out the mesh of your skeletons (which is what the script does for your skeletal horse if you give it fire/frost/void salts), but I don't want to overload Conjuration with any more perks...it's already the most crowded tree in the mod.

"Frenzy = WIP"

maybe those effected by frenzy have reduced regeneration/health/take more damage as well as deal more damage. it puts people into a "berserker" mode.

Interesting suggestion. I'll consider it. :smile:

Edited by steelfeathers

What are everyone's thoughts on ASIS compatibility? Is it something I should invest time and effort into before posing the mod? (Which will invariably delay the release date). Also, does anyone know HOW to make a perk mod compatible with ASIS? Because I haven't got a clue.

ASIS is essential in today's installs. Maybe ask about compatibility with it in the ASIS or Improved ASIS Ini files subforums. I suspect you don't need to do that much for compatibility, since it has its own patcher, but better make sure.

For the Bonecraft Perk, will there be a limit to the number of Skeletons you can summon and will there be variations of these skeletons. e.g. Perkus has Warrior, Archer and Mage skeletons? By the way the mod is looking great!!!

There's no limit on the number you can have, but they require materials to make. All skeletons have the skills and AI to be warriors, archers, or mages. It all depends on what gear you give them. Skeletons don't start with spells though, so if you want a skeleton mage you will have to invest a perk in Crypt Lore.

Rank 2 of Bonecraft allows you to create skeleton Wights, which are much more powerful and level with you to level 60. Normal skeletons only go to 15, if I'm remembering correctly.