Path of Sorcery - Magic Perk Overhaul (WIP)

steelfeathers

Honestly, it's been hard to get over the hurdle of fixing the last few bugs and testing everything. My motivation just isn't there.

You guys are great, but there's only about three of you, and recently it just hasn't felt like it's worth the effort. Especially since the mod will either flop and be pretty much ingored, or else get a bunch of whiners and complainers spewing their entitlement issues all over the comments section, the way I've seen happen with Ordinator.

I don't know. I'll see if I can't work up the energy for one big push to get everything finished and out the door, but I can't make any promises at this point.

Well, I have been posting about your perk tree on Reddit and on Brodual's comments. I hope it helps. Besides, as much as I'd like to download Ordinator, I would still favor your perk mod since I pretty much only play mages on Skyrim now.

Speaking of which, I made a Reddit post about your mod. Here.

Edited by AfroGamerNinja

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, it's been hard to get over the hurdle of fixing the last few bugs and testing everything. My motivation just isn't there.

You guys are great, but there's only about three of you, and recently it just hasn't felt like it's worth the effort. Especially since the mod will either flop and be pretty much ingored, or else get a bunch of whiners and complainers spewing their entitlement issues all over the comments section, the way I've seen happen with Ordinator.

I don't know. I'll see if I can't work up the energy for one big push to get everything finished and out the door, but I can't make any promises at this point.

Well, I have been posting about your perk tree on Reddit and on Brodual's comments. I hope it helps. Besides, as much as I'd like to download Ordinator, I would still favor your perk mod since I pretty much only play mages on Skyrim now.

Aw, thanks! I don't know if that will help anyway, but it was sweet of you to take the effort.

Aw, thanks! I don't know if that will help anyway, but it was sweet of you to take the effort.

No problem. I also shared it on my Twitter and Tumblr.

omg this is too much work you did

please don't be bothered by the attitude of my writing ,i've wrote it that way as if it what would a regular skyrim player say when he sees this mod
i only read alteration and conjuration but i will read the rest
my thoughts so far:

alteration:

nice work on alteration since it's the mage main line of defense also not bad buffs for destruction spells in it

by the way shouldn't the muffle spell be in the alteration section not the illusion because i'm not sure you can trick someone's mind so he won't hear your footsteps also the effect appears on your foot is similar to the effect on your body when using an armor spell like stoneflesh and so

conjuration:

okay so you've managed to change almost everything in the tree,it's nice to make the player choose weather to go raising undeads or summoning atronachs but i think going on the atronachs/deadra way will be more powerful,unless those skeletons in the raising undeads lane isn't our day-to-day skeleton encounters

i think that the bound weapons needs a lot of work so you'd might convince someone (who choose to be a full mage with one handed capabilities) NOT to be obliged to go into the smithing tree just for upgrading his one-handed weapon

so you need a way to make the bound weapon just as good as the maximum potential of an upgraded weapon using the smithing tree

(i think trying to make it as good as an upgraded weapon using smithing-enchanting-alchemy would be more of "impossible" than over-powered)

that's all i think of for now i'll continue reading and "UPDATE" my comment

UPDATE:

Enchanting
Enchanter's Ritual:what's the lore in the "witching hour"?
how do i know if the full moon is shining?
Quality Materials:define "valuable clothing"
Forbidden Knowledge:what's the "aedric amulets"?
and forbidden knowledge is somesort of a spell?
Resonance:shouldn't it be "Elemental enchantments on equipped Armor boost your elemental resistance by 10% ,elemental enchantments on weapons boost your elemental spell damage by 10%"
what do you mean by "staves"?
Elemental Might:
first part:...eeh no this isn't really lore-friendly
second part: ok
Draconic Infusion:
in Draconic Infusion you can only enchant ONE weapon/chest piece with ONE dragon soul?
if yes then it's pretty op and i suggest increasing the number of souls required because effect is just too op man
i think 5~10 souls should do but that's up to debate
illusion
Consuming Rage: the damage really should be a lot or per frenzy level but make sure that in late game's high lvl the damage would do make a difference
Lasting Peace: please explain the mechanic
Restoration
Regeneration:why? 0~50 isn't really something
Healer:what's the quantity that's being increased per sec?
Life Link:pretty cool but i'm not sure if the quantity is enough
Blessing: can this spell be casted on self? if yes then what if the player was under a poison effect and used a healing spell?
Aura Of Light: for how long the effect lasts?
Allies are living beings only right?
Saving Grace: that makes the Aura of Light really something that needs to be with a long duration
also my allies are mostly essential so they don't die and overriding that opens the door to have a lot of future problems
Patron God: explain "acting against the divine's teachings"
Favoured Child: what's this "incredible power"
Dark Supplicant: honestly i didn't understand anything from this perk
generally about wards:i don't use wards much because they usually suck my mana pool pretty fast and that's annoying also having different versions of wards are frustrating and mana sucking
maybe having only ONE ward spell and workaround it's power and mana consumption by using the perks in the restoration tree
destruction
i've played like 3 characters before the one i'm currently playing with now with each character i've walked a path in the game and with a decent increase in difficulty and i've noticed that by increasing the difficulty the destruction spells becomes more and more weak and enemy mages more powerful, in my final and current character i've decided to have almost every tree i've seen useful in the game + enabling legendary difficulty and deadly dragons mod which makes destruction spells pretty useless
if you're going anywhere in making the destruction spells useful you should start by working around this point and not by creating some op spells as other mods did
you've worked a lot around buffing the destruction magic's damage in both the alteration and enchanting trees which is good but it won't make the great difference i'm talking about

Edited by evilneo1

Well, the decreasing effectiveness of destruction as tou go towards legendary is 100% normal : you consume the same amount of mana per spell, buuuut you deal less damage with it. Just like your weapons/bashes cost the same stamina and deal less damage. The difference being, with 0 stamina you can attack, and with 0 magicka you can not. There's no real "fix" to create, spells already have so many advantages over weapons.

For conjuration, putting bound weapons on the same level as end-game forged weapons is a bad idea (already explained why in a previous post, but in short : requires less investment+naturally enchanted so less damage, can't have everything can you?).

Enchantment :

for withing hour, some mods grant sky dials, otherwise look at the date, or in the sky :smile:

Quality materials : should be "fine clothings/fine hat/party boots" etc...

Forbidden knowlege : you'll be able to disenchant the divines amulets (hello shouts CDR with Talos) and daedric artifacts such as the Ebony Blade, Dawnbreaker, Savior's Hide...

Resonance : could be a mistake, or could not. Both sides make sense. Also with the armor boosting your damage, you can get more damage (resist caps are so easily topped anyway).

Elemental might : Can't create 100% "lore-friendly" mods when taloking about perks. And it's one part of one perk around dozens. Get over it.

Draconic infusion : Yes it's one soul per item. but since it won't be boosted by mastery enchantment (effects are already off the chains), and you can only enchant the chest piece+weapons, it's fine. Also you only have 10 seconds to do it, which is pretty short. Steelfeathers, maybe raise it to 30, since the effect disappears after enchating one piece?

illusion :

Muffle is fine here, you're not altering your body, but what's around it, that's the difference between the two schools.

Lasting peace : Relations rank from 0 to 4 if i'm not wrong. 0 being "attack on sight" and +4 being "ally/lover/whatever i love you man", thus beaing able to recruit as follower/take some items from hoome/receive gifts from them, and so on.

Consuming rage : seeing how he created some spells in his Lost Grimoire mod, the damage is most likely being health% based.

Restoration :

regen :0-50 is actually pretty great. On fast healing its between 0-100% FREE efficiency. Even around lvl 50 i get smething like 450 health (playing warriors this time around, or 300-350 for a mage), and it's still a nice bonus compared to max health.

life link : you're basically healing people for up to 150/300 health points without taking from your magicka. That's pretty good if you ask me.

blessing : i see no reason it wouldn't work on PC

Aura of light : effect is continuous until friendly gets out of the aura, just like destrucion elemental cloaks. No idea if you can heal undead/automatons/daedras with it, but having some high-rank healing spell that does exactly that, i think it's a yes.

Saving grace : you having problems with essential targets is none of steelfeather's concern. Also aura of light works by radius, not duration, so the duration is infinite unless targets is out of range.

God patrons : well, Meridia and Mara for example are fond of mercy/preach love, so i guess killing innocent people/stealing/pickpocketing is a no-no.

Favoured child : no idea, but creating a spell per god is a hassle, hat off for steel for pulling it off anyway.

Dark supplicant : yay, you already could pledge your faith to the Eight Divines (or was it nine? civil war lets you decide). Now you can pledge it to bad guys as well : sanguine, mehrunes and their daedric buddies will welcome you (making you hated by the divines).

Steelfeathers,

Even though you're doubting about your perk mod, please don't let it drown. Once on the Nexus, juste like your Grimoire mods, i'm pretty sure they wil get a ton of DL/endorsements, mine first. Good magick perks overhaul are scarce, and this will be a fantastic addition to them.

You know there are some people eager to help too. Please don't let all these work hours get away in vain.

Edited by Plowbat

i hope i didn't mean anything that might offend steelfeathers' work .

i mean this is awesome an overhaul for magic perks , why isn't this mod out there already

@plowbat

have you tried going on destruction tree on legendary mode even if your character in mid-game?

when i started my latest character and decided to go full game legendary mode it was obviously impossible as i was barely beating up bandits and a bandit leader fight was an impossible fight to win so i had to lower the difficulty on certain times at the early lvls

one-handed damage was low but it turns well after a while and now i can slice anything with my 100 one-handed tree

i'm not sure about destruction as i didn't try that's why i'm asking

does the destruction damage turns up as the one-handed damage did?

also i'd like to know what do you think of the part i wrote about wards

Plowbat explained things pretty well. Here are my notes:

Enchanting:

-you'll get an on-screen message on nights when the moon is full

-I generally try to keep things lore-friendly, but I've found that people will always disagree on what is or is not "lore-friendly". In the nicest way possible- if a perk doesn't fit with the way you think the game should be, I don't care.

-The magnitudes of Dragon Power and Dragon Soul are locked. You won't be able to boost the power of those enchantments.

Restoration

- saving grace has no effect on essential NPCs

- Only Boethiah, Azura, Mephala, Nocturnal, and Auriel can be patrons with Dark Supplicant. The other daedra do not have shrines that can be activated, which is required for the mechanic. (Yes, I know Auriel isn't technically a daedra. But the shrine is hard to get to and gives great bonuses ala Favored Child, so I've lumped him in under this perk.)

Plowbat explained things pretty well. Here are my notes:

Enchanting:

-you'll get an on-screen message on nights when the moon is full

-I generally try to keep things lore-friendly, but I've found that people will always disagree on what is or is not "lore-friendly". In the nicest way possible- if a perk doesn't fit with the way you think the game should be, I don't care.

-The magnitudes of Dragon Power and Dragon Soul are locked. You won't be able to boost the power of those enchantments.

Restoration

- saving grace has no effect on essential NPCs

- Only Boethiah, Azura, Mephala, Nocturnal, and Auriel can be patrons with Dark Supplicant. The other daedra do not have shrines that can be activated, which is required for the mechanic. (Yes, I know Auriel isn't technically a daedra. But the shrine is hard to get to and gives great bonuses ala Favored Child, so I've lumped him in under this perk.)

Isn't Auriel the elven name of Akatosh?

I believe the lore says that some scholars believe they are the same deity, while others claim that they are separate deities. But auriel has his own shrine with bonuses that are different from the akatosh side, so I am taking the view that they are not the same being. Edited by steelfeathers

I believe the lore says that some scholars believe they are the same deity, while others claim that they are separate deities. But auriel has his own shrine with bonuses that are different from the akatosh side, so I am taking the view that they are not the same being.

I know that Gelebor, in a Dawnguard quest, said that Auriel and Akatosh are just two of the many names for the sovereign of the snow elves.