Why we can't use Patreon, and talking about donations and doing more to support mod authors

Dark0ne

In response to post #28569234. #28583494, #28587354 are all replies on the same post.

thelastzombie79 wrote: I remember when people could purchase a complete video game for one price, then we got partial games and have to buy the DLC for the full game. Paid modding looks like a wonderful opportunity to purchase a poorly made base game and then I would have to continue to purchase even smaller pieces at a time to get a full video game. If this becomes a reality I will no longer play or purchase video games and I hope that others will follow.
armadillo179 wrote: This was indeed one of my biggest concerns regarding the paid modding scene; would companies like Bethe care less about releasing sloppy broken games in the knowledge that the disgruntled PC audience will fix it for them.
Lets face it, PC games have shown a depressingly consistent history of receiving shoddy slapdash ports only to later be fixed or brought up to a decent standard by modders- not the dev's.
badkrma wrote: Agree, it was about fun years back to tweak the game, now money is the driving force for some...

As far as I'm concerned if people want to mod for money then create your own website and best of luck to you, I wish you no ill, but modding is about fun. If you work so hard on that mod of yours and it takes away from your real life it isn't my problem to financially support you, I respect the hell out of our modders but I don't have enough cash to support them.

Hell, one game can now cost me $200 bucks if I constantly donate. Afterall we are talking about games not real life adventures... my 2 cents :)

Not only would Bethesda be rewarded financially when other people fix their buggy games they could also be rewarded for putting less content in the base game and leaving modders to add the rest, just like micro transactions and DLC, paid mods could alter the very nature of the game.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #28569234. #28583494, #28587354, #28592309 are all replies on the same post.

thelastzombie79 wrote: I remember when people could purchase a complete video game for one price, then we got partial games and have to buy the DLC for the full game. Paid modding looks like a wonderful opportunity to purchase a poorly made base game and then I would have to continue to purchase even smaller pieces at a time to get a full video game. If this becomes a reality I will no longer play or purchase video games and I hope that others will follow.
armadillo179 wrote: This was indeed one of my biggest concerns regarding the paid modding scene; would companies like Bethe care less about releasing sloppy broken games in the knowledge that the disgruntled PC audience will fix it for them.
Lets face it, PC games have shown a depressingly consistent history of receiving shoddy slapdash ports only to later be fixed or brought up to a decent standard by modders- not the dev's.
badkrma wrote: Agree, it was about fun years back to tweak the game, now money is the driving force for some...

As far as I'm concerned if people want to mod for money then create your own website and best of luck to you, I wish you no ill, but modding is about fun. If you work so hard on that mod of yours and it takes away from your real life it isn't my problem to financially support you, I respect the hell out of our modders but I don't have enough cash to support them.

Hell, one game can now cost me $200 bucks if I constantly donate. Afterall we are talking about games not real life adventures... my 2 cents :)
jim_uk wrote: Not only would Bethesda be rewarded financially when other people fix their buggy games they could also be rewarded for putting less content in the base game and leaving modders to add the rest, just like micro transactions and DLC, paid mods could alter the very nature of the game.

I would be right there with you. My PS4 just collects dust now because every game has turned into a bottomless money hole. If PC gaming goes the same route, that other less honorable venue of modified games will be a welcomed refuge.

In response to post #28578629.

sunshinenbrick wrote: Um... so how can Sprked be getting away with it?

Are the the legal wheels in motion or is it some sort of umbrella movement?

They're probably flying under the radar right now until enough people prod Bethesda about it. That may have already happened and it could just be that the wheels of legal take a long time to get moving for stuff like this.

In response to post #28567949. #28568274, #28568494, #28571489, #28572304, #28575029, #28575269 are all replies on the same post.

seweryn wrote: I really do not get the issue. So exactly do you want money ? Are you saying you cannot mod because are too bored ? Maybe you should stop modding then or take a break. Modding was always a hobby, something you do for fun or personal enjoyment, not something you do for living.
When i was a part of medieval brotherhood, when i was younger, there were a lot of cost involved it, cost of swords and armor, it cost some cash, traveling to tournaments, sometimes to different countries, but did this because i loved it and not becaused i was hoping for some cash, the moment i stoped having fun with it, i left; simple as that.
If you need to be paid to do mods then maybe you should stop doing it altogether, since it is clear you no longer have the love for it. Instead of something that gives you pleasure you want another revenue source.
If i were you i would just leave it and find something that gives you pleasure.
Xilandro wrote: You're clearly not a modder =D Want to know what modders think? Become one, and then - speak. No offence.
Ducksaws wrote: Just because I love my job means I don't deserve to get paid for the work??
DrakeTheDragon wrote: I wish people would stop repeatedly posting this nonsense when they don't know the harmful unintended implications it does have.

You cannot tell authors why they are modding or for what reasons. They do it for their own, whatever these are, and many authors think about it very differently. Trying to do so offends "many" authors in general every single time.

As you can't know why they started modding, you also can't tell them they should stop it. Reading you doing so "again" offends many authors, whether they're your target group or not.

I really wish people posting these would understand that in most cases it's the still free sharing authors rather taking up their suggestions instead and leaving, as these have absolutely nothing of value to loose by quitting, and the receiving end is making itself more and more not worth the time and effort, whereas the ones hoping for payment at some point will stay until it becomes clear they won't get it ever, which quite frankly will never happen as long as the companies themselves are still looking into it on a big scale.

Mod authors in a way are in many cases somewhat like a hive mind. Attack one and chances are really high many others, if not most, will feel attacked just as much, or at least really offended by "one of them" being attacked. Blanket statements made against some, the more blanket they are, the more authors in general they will hit, but mostly those "not" intended to get hit.

These people are doing lists, mind you, mentally or actually on paper, of all the s#*! they already had to take, whether personally or against mod authors in general, and how much more of it they still can take, before too much is too much. Every single time statements like this, and suggestions like "..., then you should just stop sharing your mods and do something else", pop up again somewhere in comments and these people see them, there goes another tally.

Everyone has a different limit, of course, but would you be an author, and able to read behind the curtains, where they discuss these things among themselves in private, you'd see how many have already quit and left over the community's reaction to the Steam paid mods attempt alone, or the comments made against the very idea of the work of these people being "worth anything", or how much they "should" be doing it "for the community" or they're "not doing it right", or better yet "shouldn't be doing it at all" to begin with. These all hit the mark, but mostly also with the wrong targets.

They hear you, they listen, they leave, or just stop sharing... but it's "not" (just) the ones you're talking to.

I'm seeing far too many of these popping up in comments recently, and considering their number is in direct relation to the number of free sharing authors quitting over it and similar things, it's by far not a pleasant picture.
I really wish they'd stop. But like all the others along the same ilk, they just won't.

So congratulations, for successfully removing yet another X mod authors and/or their mods and/or their knowledge, wisdom and expertise from the community, mostly free sharing ones at that.
(X here is not necessarily a whole number, but it's not unlikely to be >1 either, and at the end of the day, these are just summing up until the point whole numbers are reached again.)
Keep it coming, people, there's still some authors left!
Jafin16 wrote: Why don't you make a mod and try to support that mod? Then come back in 6 months and say the same. You won't. You're right, in general (but certainly not exclusively) modders make mods because they want to make them, whether for use in their game, because they like the process, it's practice for schooling or work (thinking 3D modelling here... and Falskaar which got the guy a job), and other reasons. However, the primary motivator for many is not sharing the mod and certainly not doing all the support necessary. Many (most?) mod authors share the mod out of the goodness of their heart... and then the requests, the inane, repetitive questions, the "this mod is crap" comments start coming in. Suddenly, instead of modding for fun, you're running tech support and, if you're generous, you might start helping people fix their computers they broke themselves in an effort to help them get your REALLY SIMPLE TO INSTALL AND USE MOD to work on their borked systems. After awhile, you might like it when someone sends you five bucks, or buys you a game on Steam or the like because you've been putting up with a ridiculous number of annoyances and abuse for your good hearted effort to share with the community... a community which very rarely gives back.

This is just one possible example why a donation might be nice once in awhile... even if it's just $5. You may respond with "Well if you don't like doing it, then maybe you shouldn't do it anymore!" Ok, all of the mod authors who would maybe like a donation once in awhile, even though they rarely if ever get them, will just take our mods down and use them ourselves. OH WAIT! You can't have that! Then you won't have any mods to use! See the problem with your thesis? It actually hurts the mod users more than the authors. The authors can make their own content. Those who are simply mod users, well they can't.

Ok, I'm done. *shuffles away*
seweryn wrote: All i get was backlash, but my question didn't get answered.
1. I tried to do some modding but it takes too much time and i prefer to do other things.
2. i was modding witcher 2, creating my own version of stats, difficulty, but i wasn't happy with the quality so i didn't release it.
3. I am not a programmer, graphic artist or designer; In truth i hate those things.
They are just not my cup of tea.

So could someone explain me why because i do not get it.
I want to understand this.
B1gBadDaddy wrote: You want to know why you don't enjoy modding? Probably the same reason you don't enjoy anything you don't do...

So tell me something. Are you saying that everyone who has a job necessarily must hate doing that job? Cause that's what it sounds like to me. That you shouldn't get paid to do something you love doing.

Though... that could explain why everyone is so miserable looking at their jobs. Maybe nobody really does like what they do for a living. Maybe it's these people who hate that they have to suffer and demand everyone else suffer along with them or it's not a valid way to make money. But no, that would be terribly cynical.

tl;dr: Thinks that give you pleasure can ALSO be sources of revenue.

In response to post #28563909.

vram1974 wrote: "The Nexus has a lot of users who "skirt the rules" already, sitting in a grey area where they know it's a bit naughty, but it's not going to get them into any trouble."

I'm curious for clarification about this bit.

I know quite a few Nexus modders who are using their Nexus mod as a "showcase" for their free mod and then hosting their paid mods elsewhere with additional content for a price. I know because I paid for a few (the mods are good).

I noticed Nexus has shut down one of these authors, but Nexus didn't state why.

So what's the policy if a modder has a Nexus mod for free and then a paywall mod elsewhere?

I would imagine that this is bad, not just from a Nexus perspective. People doing this are risking getting shut down by Bethesda directly.

Not sure who specifically you're saying does this, but it's not something I've seen happening.

In response to post #28563909.

vram1974 wrote: "The Nexus has a lot of users who "skirt the rules" already, sitting in a grey area where they know it's a bit naughty, but it's not going to get them into any trouble."

I'm curious for clarification about this bit.

I know quite a few Nexus modders who are using their Nexus mod as a "showcase" for their free mod and then hosting their paid mods elsewhere with additional content for a price. I know because I paid for a few (the mods are good).

I noticed Nexus has shut down one of these authors, but Nexus didn't state why.

So what's the policy if a modder has a Nexus mod for free and then a paywall mod elsewhere?

I would imagine that this is bad, not just from a Nexus perspective. People doing this are risking getting shut down by Bethesda directly.

Not sure who specifically you're saying does this, but it's not something I've seen happening.

Look closer. Many mod authors skirt the ToS for this site, which I believe is what is being said here...soliciting for endorsements; flag and tag for adult content, tagging in general; trying hard to point out a site that is blacklisted...yeah, that site; using assets without explicit permissions (mods that point to the wrong original content mod); even given tools to pretty much moderate their own file threads, they tend to instigate rather than mitigate.

Sorry, not trying to instigate :whistling: just making observations. :)

In response to post #28567949. #28568274, #28568494, #28571489, #28572304, #28575029, #28575269, #28593339 are all replies on the same post.

seweryn wrote: I really do not get the issue. So exactly do you want money ? Are you saying you cannot mod because are too bored ? Maybe you should stop modding then or take a break. Modding was always a hobby, something you do for fun or personal enjoyment, not something you do for living.
When i was a part of medieval brotherhood, when i was younger, there were a lot of cost involved it, cost of swords and armor, it cost some cash, traveling to tournaments, sometimes to different countries, but did this because i loved it and not becaused i was hoping for some cash, the moment i stoped having fun with it, i left; simple as that.
If you need to be paid to do mods then maybe you should stop doing it altogether, since it is clear you no longer have the love for it. Instead of something that gives you pleasure you want another revenue source.
Xilandro wrote: You're clearly not a modder =D Want to know what modders think? Become one, and then - speak. No offence.
Ducksaws wrote: Just because I love my job means I don't deserve to get paid for the work??
DrakeTheDragon wrote: I wish people would stop repeatedly posting this nonsense when they don't know the harmful unintended implications it does have.

You cannot tell authors why they are modding or for what reasons. They do it for their own, whatever these are, and many authors think about it very differently. Trying to do so offends "many" authors in general every single time.

As you can't know why they started modding, you also can't tell them they should stop it. Reading you doing so "again" offends many authors, whether they're your target group or not.

I really wish people posting these would understand that in most cases it's the still free sharing authors rather taking up their suggestions instead and leaving, as these have absolutely nothing of value to loose by quitting, and the receiving end is making itself more and more not worth the time and effort, whereas the ones hoping for payment at some point will stay until it becomes clear they won't get it ever, which quite frankly will never happen as long as the companies themselves are still looking into it on a big scale.

Mod authors in a way are in many cases somewhat like a hive mind. Attack one and chances are really high many others, if not most, will feel attacked just as much, or at least really offended by "one of them" being attacked. Blanket statements made against some, the more blanket they are, the more authors in general they will hit, but mostly those "not" intended to get hit.

These people are doing lists, mind you, mentally or actually on paper, of all the s#*! they already had to take, whether personally or against mod authors in general, and how much more of it they still can take, before too much is too much. Every single time statements like this, and suggestions like "..., then you should just stop sharing your mods and do something else", pop up again somewhere in comments and these people see them, there goes another tally.

Everyone has a different limit, of course, but would you be an author, and able to read behind the curtains, where they discuss these things among themselves in private, you'd see how many have already quit and left over the community's reaction to the Steam paid mods attempt alone, or the comments made against the very idea of the work of these people being "worth anything", or how much they "should" be doing it "for the community" or they're "not doing it right", or better yet "shouldn't be doing it at all" to begin with. These all hit the mark, but mostly also with the wrong targets.

They hear you, they listen, they leave, or just stop sharing... but it's "not" (just) the ones you're talking to.

I'm seeing far too many of these popping up in comments recently, and considering their number is in direct relation to the number of free sharing authors quitting over it and similar things, it's by far not a pleasant picture.
I really wish they'd stop. But like all the others along the same ilk, they just won't.

So congratulations, for successfully removing yet another X mod authors and/or their mods and/or their knowledge, wisdom and expertise from the community, mostly free sharing ones at that.
(X here is not necessarily a whole number, but it's not unlikely to be >1 either, and at the end of the day, these are just summing up until the point whole numbers are reached again.)
Jafin16 wrote: Why don't you make a mod and try to support that mod? Then come back in 6 months and say the same. You won't. You're right, in general (but certainly not exclusively) modders make mods because they want to make them, whether for use in their game, because they like the process, it's practice for schooling or work (thinking 3D modelling here... and Falskaar which got the guy a job), and other reasons. However, the primary motivator for many is not sharing the mod and certainly not doing all the support necessary. Many (most?) mod authors share the mod out of the goodness of their heart... and then the requests, the inane, repetitive questions, the "this mod is crap" comments start coming in. Suddenly, instead of modding for fun, you're running tech support and, if you're generous, you might start helping people fix their computers they broke themselves in an effort to help them get your REALLY SIMPLE TO INSTALL AND USE MOD to work on their borked systems. After awhile, you might like it when someone sends you five bucks, or buys you a game on Steam or the like because you've been putting up with a ridiculous number of annoyances and abuse for your good hearted effort to share with the community... a community which very rarely gives back.

This is just one possible example why a donation might be nice once in awhile... even if it's just $5. You may respond with "Well if you don't like doing it, then maybe you shouldn't do it anymore!" Ok, all of the mod authors who would maybe like a donation once in awhile, even though they rarely if ever get them, will just take our mods down and use them ourselves. OH WAIT! You can't have that! Then you won't have any mods to use! See the problem with your thesis? It actually hurts the mod users more than the authors. The authors can make their own content. Those who are simply mod users, well they can't.

1. I tried to do some modding but it takes too much time and i prefer to do other things.
2. i was modding witcher 2, creating my own version of stats, difficulty, but i wasn't happy with the quality so i didn't release it.
3. I am not a programmer, graphic artist or designer; In truth i hate those things.

B1gBadDaddy wrote: You want to know why you don't enjoy modding? Probably the same reason you don't enjoy anything you don't do...
Arthmoor wrote: So tell me something. Are you saying that everyone who has a job necessarily must hate doing that job? Cause that's what it sounds like to me. That you shouldn't get paid to do something you love doing.

Though... that could explain why everyone is so miserable looking at their jobs. Maybe nobody really does like what they do for a living. Maybe it's these people who hate that they have to suffer and demand everyone else suffer along with them or it's not a valid way to make money. But no, that would be terribly cynical.

seweryn - I don't want to make an argument for or against, but I think it's important to speak to your initial analogy, re: participation in a sport or group activity.

The important difference is that in that case, you are spending money and energy to bring enjoyment to yourself (and indirectly, your teammates or other association members) through participation. And especially in the case of a sport, all team members are (more or less) equal contributors. You're all putting in equal sweat, time, and money for "the love of the game/clan/group/etc". Shared commitment, shared resources, shared goals. Very "you and me, we're in this together".

Modders spend large amounts of time, and sometimes money, to bring enjoyment to a large number of people who do not spend any money and a trivial amount of time. There is less "we're in this together"-ness and more of a producer-consumer dynamic.

Can you imagine the Nexus, if the right to download mods was only granted if you had made one yourself? Even something incredibly "simple". Interesting to think how that might change not only how users think about modders and modding, but also how modders think about their users (who are now other modders, too). If every user were a modder, it would feel more like we're all in a big team, and that would certainly be something. This won't happen, but it's interesting to think about. Edited by Chesko

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bethesda tries to confine Fallout 4 mods (any paid versions that is) to their network. With them announcing that mods will be available for PS4/Xbone users that were created by PC players, it looks to me that they see the chance to make money off it. Consoles are a different world than PC; Folks buy games at full price or close to it as well as DLC season passes on console at a much higher rate than PC players. I fully expect mods for Fallout 4 to be sold as sort of little mini DLCs to console players, and they will almost undoubtedly buy them. Edited by YoDookie

In response to post #28567949. #28568274, #28568494, #28571489, #28572304, #28575029, #28575269, #28593339, #28594674 are all replies on the same post.

Arthmoor wrote: So tell me something. Are you saying that everyone who has a job necessarily must hate doing that job? Cause that's what it sounds like to me. That you shouldn't get paid to do something you love doing.

Chesko wrote: seweryn - I don't want to make an argument for or against, but I think it's important to speak to your initial analogy, re: participation in a sport or group activity.

The important difference is that in that case, you are spending money and energy to bring enjoyment to yourself (and indirectly, your teammates or other association members) through participation. And especially in the case of a sport, all team members are (more or less) equal contributors. You're all putting in equal sweat, time, and money for "the love of the game/clan/group/etc". Shared commitment, shared resources, shared goals. Very "you and me, we're in this together".

Modders spend large amounts of time, and sometimes money, to bring enjoyment to a large number of people who do not spend any money and a trivial amount of time. There is less "we're in this together"-ness and more of a producer-consumer dynamic.

Can you imagine the Nexus, if the right to download mods was only granted if you had made one yourself? Even something incredibly "simple". Interesting to think how that might change not only how users think about modders and modding, but also how modders think about their users (who are now other modders, too). If every user were a modder, it would feel more like we're all in a big team, and that would certainly be something. This won't happen, but it's interesting to think about.

@ Jafin16
THANK YOU!! my gods that was so accurate it was scary. Seriously, I started doing this as a hobby, but I get so damned sick and tired of trying to help troubleshoot because people cannot read the description, then say my mod broke their game because they cannot take less than 10 minute to read the damned page. Yes, if you see a bug, please let me know, I will be glad to fix it. If you can't move kids into your house because you just did not read the damned description then no, get lost, I have already answered that question on the front page, and 20 more times in the comments. If someone wanted me to buy me a frappachino for my work, I would be frigging elated.

I still enjoy modding, I still enjoy making stuff, I get so damned tired of criticism by people who have no idea how long or difficult it is, or who don't read directions. Or better yet, people who don't mod, but insist that they can tell you of their own great idea that you should drop everything that you are working on to do their project, because, they just don't understand how it works, or don't have time. Yeah...forget that. It is not, nor has it ever been about making money. But if someone wanted to be nice and say, "you know, I really appreciate the 1000+ hours you spent on these things, I would like to buy you a cup of coffee." I would be ecstatic, I really would. Endorsements are nice, they say "hey, I saw you mod, tried it out, and it enjoyed it." but if it is one of your MUST HAVE mods, one that you cannot play Skyrim without having, then why not throw a little extra something towards the authors who made it that much better? They have not asked, it is just a nice thing to do.

In response to post #28581794. #28581864, #28582054 are all replies on the same post.

43deadwood wrote: I've made a few modest donations to Mod authors but find it difficult to keep track of them. Even though I keep the PayPal receipts the name of the payee often differs from that of the mod author. Would it be possible to add something like a D button beside mods where the donation button has been pressed, much like endorsing? Also what is the etiquette about donation amounts? It's like tipping in restaurants - what is reasonable? Most of my donations have been around $5 - but in a previous comment someone pointed out that even 500 one dollar donations does make a fair amount. Would I be better donating one dollar to five authors? I'd be interested in the thoughts of others.
I've tried to correct the post - I mean D, not 'D' !
SjoertJansen wrote: Not sure what the etiquette is, I'd rather go back to before donations.

However, to your other comment, you can track users on this website. There is a nice button right next to the message and kudos button on their profiles. That way you can keep track of them, and you know you've donated.
Dkboy24 wrote: I second 43deadwood's comment! I love the idea of an indicator to let us know which mod's we've donated to. Maybe in our download history how there is an endorse reminder? Maybe there could be a donate reminder as well? Like a check box to let us know which mods we've donated to.

I've also wondered about proper donate amount etiquette. I'm sure any amount of cash would be appreciative by the mod author, but at the same time I don't want to give an insulting amount for someone's time and tireless dedication. I've donated between $10-$20 depending on the size (I look at it like how much I would have paid Beth if it was their DLC) but again, not sure here.

I think it is a matter of personal preference. If it is a mod you MUST HAVE to play the game. Something you cannot imagine playing without. Then donate a little more. If it is just something that you enjoy, but could do without if pressed, a little less. Make a coffee scale. This mod is worth a simple coffee...1 dollar. OMG, This mod is a Double Shot Espresso with extra foam...5 Dollars. Use common sense and imagine how you would feel if the situation was reversed.
That might not be perfectly sound logic, but I am chronic tipper for restaurants. I always start at a standard 5 dollars and scale up or down depending on service, cost of food, drink refills and whatnot.