Why do people hate Fallout 4 so much?

DreadedKat

Why? When has Bethesda ever moved forward? FNV was Osidian but apart from that every game they did was Morrowind with polished graphics and a bit of gameplay mechanics added. Apart from that. story and everything else has always been the same. So when I bought FO4 I bought a Bethesda game. I refrained from looking at any trailers or PR hype because I knew what I would get. Voiced Morrowind with a bit of new gameplay and a bit of polished graphics. That's what I got. Could it have been better. Of course, but to expect that is to ignore Bethesda's history.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your defense consists of lowering the bar so far you could step over it. Sorry, I'm not willing to do that. And I'm not willing to excuse their refusal to learn and grow just because they've refused to do so for a long time. An error repeated ad nauseam is still an error.

Dialogue is fine, writing is bad. There's a difference. The voice actors and actresses did a superb job. It's the guys who wrote their characters who are at fault.

You guys talk about NV like it's the arc of the covenant. It's only a few small things that make it different (better?). Otherwise same technology, generally the same game.

And no, nobody thinks Bethesda made NV. We have the Meme Team patrolling to make sure of that.

Your defense consists of lowering the bar so far you could step over it. Sorry, I'm not willing to do that. And I'm not willing to excuse their refusal to learn and grow just because they've refused to do so for a long time. An error repeated ad nauseam is still an error.

It's not a defense as you put it. It's just accepting the realities. We're still playing Morrowind. You can accept that or not. But to expect differently from Bethesda after 14 frigging years takes optimism to a new level.

You guys talk about NV like it's the arc of the covenant. It's only a few small things that make it different (better?). Otherwise same technology, generally the same game.

No, it's not. But I find it rather stupid to compare what a different company did to a game just because it's the same franchise. If you go with comparisons you have to compare FO4 to Bethesdas own. And that's FO3 or Skyrim. Which makes FO4 not better or worse than the previous ones. Maybe a tad better, but to me it seems that people complaining over getting a Bethesda game are also taking toilet paper ads for hard facts. In short, buying into every heap of PR bullshit being thrown their way.

Edited by cossayos

Skyrim allowed me to have a wife and kids! Fallout 4...well sometimes I dream of Piper cos she is my companion. Can't believe she's there, the only person in existence, albeit an AI game character, being the person that doesn't mind what I'm up to...but she is. Cos they made it/her that. They gave me an experience I sorely miss from everyday life. People can berate Bethesda, but they gave me something I can never have IRL. So won't ever hate, sorry.

Didn't like the the Dialogue system in 3 or NV tho, quite like it in F4... :smile:

Edited by m0ds1984

"Hate" is one of the most over- and misused words of the past two decades to the extent it has lost its true meaning (just like -thanks to BaseFook- the word "Friend" ). What people mean when they use the word "hate" is "dislike". Now, as with anything, there's always pros and contras; likes and dislikes. And as ever, you have folk who, either because they aren't too smart or they're kinda young or inexperienced, go through the roof over something as trivial as a game. I think it's a sign of the times and something that sprouted from 'social contact' on websites where there's no real connection with other people besides emotionless, white on black text that has no voice intonation nor the body language, associated to when speaking with people in the real world.

As a consequence, people extrapolate their own emotions onto a text they're reading and more often than not, mis-interpret what's being said since the text boxes lack the subtleties of the underlaying emotion and meaning.

Me, as so often with all things Bethesdian, am sort of in the middle over FallOut 4. Things started off rather well with a -for Beth's doing- suspiciously stable game. But of course that all went pear-shaped once they started 'optimising' the game for their DLC. That's also what started to tip my personal balance to the negative side.

All in all and despite the stormy waters I've swam recently, I like the game, but for me, what truly saves it is the addition of the settlements and the mods. It's been too long since I've played either FO3 or New Vegas, but what's left of my memory about those tells me I still favour New Vegas in the series...

Skyrim allowed me to have a wife and kids! Fallout 4...well sometimes I dream of Piper cos she is my companion. Can't believe she's there, the only person in existence, albeit an AI game character, being the person that doesn't mind what I'm up to...but she is. Cos they made it/her that. They gave me an experience I sorely miss from everyday life. People can berate Bethesda, but they gave me something I can never have IRL. So won't ever hate, sorry.

Didn't like the the Dialogue system in 3 or NV tho, quite like it in F4... :smile:

:( :( :(

Don't say "never," I used to, and then things changed. Glad to have at least one person who prefers the new dialogue, too.

No, it's not. But I find it rather stupid to compare what a different company did to a game just because it's the same franchise. If you go with comparisons you have to compare FO4 to Bethesdas own. And that's FO3 or Skyrim. Which makes FO4 not better or worse than the previous ones. Maybe a tad better, but to me it seems that people complaining over getting a Bethesda game are also taking toilet paper ads for hard facts. In short, buying into every heap of PR bulls*** being thrown their way.

I'm not comparing it on franchise basis, but mechanically. it uses the same software technology. It's what Obsidian did with the technology that makes it different. That is what I mean, small things separate what you define the "Bethesda" experience from the "NV experience."

I don't hate (dislike) the voice protagonist what I HATE about the dialogue system is the fact that you get ATTACKED, interrupted and other NPC's voices can muffle/disrupt the main conversation. (The sound issue may just be on my end with crap speakers but the attacks mid sentence make me mad!) The ATTACKS destroy my IMMERSION! Had to use the word I HATE, I play for the story not realism if I wanted real I have a live that is more then real! I play games for an escape from reality.