So much for playing FO4

Deleted3507349User

Skyrim came with the full game on disk. Any updates had to be downloaded. The Anthology however includes a fully up-to-date full game on disk (game AND all DLC).

Bethesda used the Konami code on this one.

As far as combating piracy, on the day it was released cracked versions were popping up like toadstools. Like qwertyzeldar said, they did to save money...blu-ray media is up to twice as expensive (at least at retail prices). Still no excuse.

According to Pete Hines, they did it to combat piracy. Source: tweet by Pete Hines, also referenced in this PC Gamer article. I'm not sure what Mr. Hines was thinking when he said that, considering that Steam games are easily and habitually cracked, most of them on release day.

Edited by greentea101

According to Pete Hines, they did it to combat piracy. Source: tweet by Pete Hines, also referenced in this PC Gamer article. I'm not sure what Mr. Hines was thinking when he said that, considering that Steam games are easily and habitually cracked, most of them on release day.

pirated disks are worse then digital piracy in a sense. primarily because pirated disks can be sold to people without them realizing it and getting them in trouble for owning one or screwed because they bought it without knowing. it happens with disk based games a lot.

The Steam account thing to combat piracy, I get it (at least it makes it easily verifiable if the copy is legit). That tweet from Hines is slightly misleading though...Skyrim came complete on a disk.

Any way you slice it, and no matter how it's justified or handwaved away; at the end of the day if you do not actually get what you paid for is essentially fraud. If they don't want to include the complete game on a hard copy, don't sell hard copies. Simple. I know I'll not be buying another game without knowing exactly what I'm getting.

On the upside, I got lucky with a truck stop that had some serious high speed WiFi going....managed to download 24GB in two hours...and I'm backing the durn thing up this time!

Any way you slice it, and no matter how it's justified or handwaved away; at the end of the day if you do not actually get what you paid for is essentially fraud. If they don't want to include the complete game on a hard copy, don't sell hard copies. Simple. I know I'll not be buying another game without knowing exactly what I'm getting.

they sell the hard copy for collectors... i dont get why as the disk is worthless but i guess people want them. honestly i wouldnt have bothered with it.

My hard copy came with a large color poster of all the perks, and a controls reference sheet. Plus it smells nice mmm.. printed smell <3.

Halo 4's multiplayer was a DLC, as with those monthly(?) chapters.

Trials Fusion didn't ship with online multiplayer

Bioshock Infinite's DLC was.. downloaded.. so get used to it!

Don't forget all of the games that were shipped on discs but are now free with each console's premium accounts, and PS4's backwards compatability might not support the original discs so prepare to download your favorite games again!

At least F4 wasn't shipped like the Command & Conquer everything pack, which is just a Steam key in the DVD box!

OP has my sympathies. Work keeps me away from home at a place with pretty janky internet and I was sorely tempted to get the physical disc, even if it meant getting a tad distracted from my job, but then (luckily!) decided to keep focused on my career rather than advance those of Messieurs Howard, Hines & co. Not disclosing the fact that the bulk of the game needs to be downloaded borders on fraud imo. It's a plain skunk move no matter how you dice it.

Opting into the latest beta wiped my installation...so after having to download %90 of a game I bought a hard copy of (the Pip-Boy edition), which also cost me over $100 more because I'm on a limited bandwidth ISP, I now get to download the complete thing all over again?

Bite me...I bought a hard copy, I want a full friggin' HARD COPY (don't mind downloading updates, mind you).

Ohh man, your not alone.

Come to Germany if you want to quite download, broadcast, or upload anything over internet. I cant even use Netflix (that came in Germany a few months ago). My max download speed is always > 600 kb/s, YES - KB.

I stop buying games (is impossible to keep up with updates), i just stick with dota 2 and is a hell of a misery each time there is a new 90MB update. I need about 15 min to download 95MB or updates on steam since the download is about 450kb/s.

Don't bother asking me to get a better connection, i pay for the most expensive/best connection in whole country. About $40 per month for this s***.

95% of internet connections in Germany using this speed. I wanted to start a Chanel to YouTube. LOL :laugh: upload speed is under 40kb/s :laugh: :laugh:

We also pay taxes for online purchases! 20 - 25% !

But there is the good news, they said that they are going to update there lines!!!!!! No to mention that the cost then at least triple!

AFTER 5 YEARS, best case scenario.

F&$#$ internet, we have factories and bmw. What to do with internet when you can spend this time doing overtime in a factory?

Edited by kintaro12

CK will be released around that time and I should have lots of time for modding.

GECK not CK

also any time it says "internet connection required" it means you are getting a disk with a code on it and that's it. the hard copy disks these days are only for symbolic reasons and nothing more.

That worked great, then :rolleyes:

EDIT: Damnit, this was in reference to a piracy comment, bloody bottom-quote-button nonsense >:/

Edited by Yodhrin

Well, Mr. Hines was clearly referring to the foiling of pirates with boats and guns out on the Pacific Ocean who intended to make off with PC versions of the 12 million units shipped out.This plan was largely successful.

He was clearly not referring to the certain other group who have unfettered access to the internet in their own homes and who, from what I gather, had illegal versions of the game uploaded to certain sites on the same day as the official release oh no definitely not this group how could you think such a thing. :ohmy: