I'm Really Losing Interest - Is this game even worth finishing?

Nebrule

Fanboys are making a mess of genuine complaints here. This game feels like Bethesda was obligated to make a Fallout game and wanted to see what money they could make from the FPS crowd. Why would they change everything that wasn't broken("streamlining") and improve what no RP-gamer plays for("gunplay")? Tie that to the lowest common denominator plot line and done. I'm sure there are well-meaning devs that actually wanted to make a modern Fallout at Bethesda but whoever it was, they were not calling the shots.

The reason I personally compare it to Skyrim, is because I would love if Fallout got the treatment ES does. Would they put a 'someone took my baby' main plot line in ES? No, that would be stupid and ruin the game for a lot of people.

Compare the Companions quest line (Not a major faction btw) to the minutemen (supposedly a main faction)

I won't list everything here. Go look it up. At the end of the Companion questline you are their leader and reap the rewards. The quests involve unique weapons, armor, enemies, and a story about the clan's members and history.

SPOILERS

You are the leader of the minutemen after 2 quests and 2-3 radiant quest with no bearing on your standing with the group and gifted a set of clothes. There is hardly any dialogue with anyone other than Preston. There's a bitchy one, a sad one, a weird old woman, and the mechanic you're supposed to like and no story between any of them. Only one other character seems to magically know you're the general, Ronnie. Who is of significance for one quest. The rest is in main quest if you choose them to finish the game. If you don't then it's all radiant quests with repeated nonspecific dialogue.

So this faction has about 6 named people, one can be a follower, and 2 of them have no significance whatsoever not counting the annoying old woman who's only significance is wanting a chair and drugs.

So really 3 people Preston, Ronnie, and Sturges and 3-4 non radiant quests is a main faction. Rewards? Artillery, General's Garb.

People saying Fallout has as much content as vanilla Skyrim are out of their ever-loving minds. It's not even close. Not only were there more quests, dialogue options, combat styles, cities, clans, characters, loot; there were also more interesting stories connected to all of them and care put into making them.

Example: There is an institute quest later on where they are trying to "recruit" a minuteman who has an affinity for science and mechanics. (This in itself has it's own issues but whatever.) Well, that is the only thing you know about Sturges. Guess what, you show up and it's NOT Sturges. It's a random person who you talk to through a door and never see otherwise. That's an example of the amount of care put into this game. Either it would've been more work to remove Sturges from Sanctuary, the person working on this quest didn't know who Sturges was, it was rushed to completion and they had to abandon the idea of tying in the character, or simply it was another unimportant filler quest like the rest of them.

Look up the Companions or any Skyrim questline/faction (Winterhold/Forsworn/Assassin's etc) and compare it this. There is just no depth. Bethesda's pride is their amount of rpg content; building giant living worlds. So what is this if not an attempt to please get money from the non-rpg crowd.

I don't work at Bethesda, so I can't say what really say happened in publishing this (like these Fanboys are so intent doing)

I just wanna know what happened and why. If they had no idea what type of following Fallout still had and wanted to gauge it's support on sales, I'm okay with that. If they needed to get the game out to stay in the black, I'm okay with that too. If this really is an attempt to lure FPS players and gut the franchise, not cool. If this is an attempt to see if they can pass off a severely underdeveloped game unnoticed, not cool.

Part of me thinks the lead writer and designer came up with a terrible concept to start with "Institute and missing baby story + devoid of dark humor" destroying the dev teams hope at a good Fallout from the beginning.

My thoughts but wtf do I know.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fanboys are making a mess of genuine complaints here. This game feels like Bethesda was obligated to make a Fallout game and wanted to see what money they could make from the FPS crowd. Why would they change everything that wasn't broken("streamlining") and improve what no RP-gamer plays for("gunplay")? Tie that to the lowest common denominator plot line and done. I'm sure there are well-meaning devs that actually wanted to make a modern Fallout at Bethesda but whoever it was, they were not calling the shots.

Many features were broken and unbalanced.

The reason I personally compare it to Skyrim, is because I would love if Fallout got the treatment ES does. Would they put a 'someone took my baby' main plot line in ES? No, that would be stupid and ruin the game for a lot of people.

In all fallout games expect NV, you had a backstory that is the vault/home and a family. Fo3 had you looking for your dad.

You are the leader of the minutemen after 2 quests and 2-3 radiant quest with no bearing on your standing with the group and gifted a set of clothes. There is hardly any dialogue with anyone other than Preston. There's a bitchy one, a sad one, a weird old woman, and the mechanic you're supposed to like and no story between any of them. Only one other character seems to magically know you're the general, Ronnie. Who is of significance for one quest. The rest is in main quest if you choose them to finish the game. If you don't then it's all radiant quests with repeated nonspecific dialogue.

So this faction has about 6 named people, one can be a follower, and 2 of them have no significance whatsoever not counting the annoying old woman who's only significance is wanting a chair and drugs.
So really 3 people Preston, Ronnie, and Sturges and 3-4 non radiant quests is a main faction. Rewards? Artillery, General's Garb.

The main quest is the faction quest. You said it yourself.

In that 2 quests, you killed a ton of raiders without fear and saved strangers from a deathclaw. In fallout, that a lot of great deal of fighting prowess, badassry and bravery and is a true mark of an MM. Since Garvey is the last MM, he has all the right to give the title to you if you wished so.

If the two quests were fetch quests your argument will make sense. In this case it hardly is.

xample: There is an institute quest later on where they are trying to "recruit" a minuteman who has an affinity for science and mechanics. (This in itself has it's own issues but whatever.) Well, that is the only thing you know about Sturges. Guess what, you show up and it's NOT Sturges. It's a random person who you talk to through a door and never see otherwise.

That dude was not an MM, but a random smart guy and you can meet him later in a lab and talk to him.

the person working on this quest didn't know who Sturges was

Just like you.

Sturges can't even hack a novice pc or lock, he is also a basic builder not a bright scientist or machinist or even part of the MM. What gave you the idea it was him in the first place?

Look up the Companions or any Skyrim questline/faction (Winterhold/Forsworn/Assassin's etc) and compare it this. There is just no depth. Bethesda's pride is their amount of rpg content; building giant living worlds. So what is this if not an attempt to please get money from the non-rpg crowd.

People saying Fallout has as much content as vanilla Skyrim are out of their ever-loving minds. It's not even close. Not only were there more quests, dialogue options, combat styles, cities, clans, characters, loot; there were also more interesting stories connected to all of them and care put into making them.

It still not the same. Skyrim is a living safe kingdom, fallout few people are to scared to get out of any city they live in. Skyrim also has magic, racial and SS powers and whatnot.

Stop comparing vastly different game worlds, it hardly makes sense.

And stories connected with each other? Where?

Most Skyrim quests were lacking and bland and rushed.
Go play oblivion and get your mind blown. Now those are real quests. Not Skyrim's.

don't work at Bethesda, so I can't say what really say happened in publishing this (like these Fanboys are so intent doing)

If this really is an attempt to lure FPS players and gut the franchise, not cool. If this is an attempt to see if they can pass off a severely underdeveloped game unnoticed, not cool.

Those conflict with each other.

Part of me thinks the lead writer and designer came up with a terrible concept to start with "Institute and missing baby story + devoid of dark humor" destroying the dev teams hope at a good Fallout from the beginning.

Seems like it. Writing teams have to listen to dev and those devs have listen to the owning devs. You can make the best quest ever and it may not appeal to all those people.

One can clearly see some really good writing here and there, so I think (or hope?) it the cause.

Followers are at least really good this time around. I really like them.

Edited by Boombro

BadReplicant, spot on man, the only people who seem to not 'get it' are the FPS fanboys or at the least, choose to play in that style. Anyone saying that complainers are using modded out past titles as a comparison are either new to the scene or didn't play the vanilla versions enough to have a point of reference. I put over 400 hours into FO3 on PS3 before I discovered the Nexus back in 2009. Vanilla FO3 was intrinsically designed so well that it could carry your interest for that long even on consoles and goes without saying it was more than worth it to me to start fresh on PC after all that invested time, which then promted to me checkout Oblivion and jump into the ES series.

This is the depth that AAA RPG focused games are supposed to achieve. They followed FO3 and Oblivion up nicely with NV and even more so with Skyrim. The vanilla versions of both these titles still retained and contained the foundational intrinsic perspective, mechanics and storied depth of their predecessors, both in lore and general content.

And That is what's so disheartening about FO4, the issues are not with stability, graphics or actionable gameplay, but with the foundational lack of storied depth and immersion, and that is a problem that even mods are going to be hard pressed fix.

Edited by Nebrule

They followed FO3 and Oblivion up nicely with NV

Beth did not make NV.

And That is what's so disheartening about FO4, the issues are not with stability, graphics or actionable gameplay, but with the foundational lack of storied depth and immersion, and that is a problem that even mods are going to be hard pressed fix.

The is the real problem.

He's saying we got less this time around, think about that

1. They upgraded their engine to be more powerful

2. They moved to the next gen consoles for more versatility

3. They took an extra year of development (4 years vs 3 years for Skyrim)

and what do we get? less content, smaller more compact world, tons of buildings boarded up, and less quests...WTF? What the hell happened?

Give me a break Boombro

I'm sure he knows Obsidian made NV

Fo3 was the only other similar family oriented story and you abandoned by your father. Motives for finding him can differ. Maybe your character didn't care about finding him anyway. He abandoned you. You're ignoring 1,2, and NV. 3 out of 4 previous games to try and make your invalid point.

I don't want to bother responding to you anymore. You're ignoring everyone's points and making false statements, catering to who knows what.

and what do we get? less content, smaller more compact world, tons of buildings boarded up, and less quests...WTF? What the hell happened?

Other than an engine upgrade, a vastly detailed world with many levels, the work on the building system (it buggy, but still an amazing feat on the CK.) what seems to be major story and in game changes and the small team that pretty much a 100 man and women?

Boombro you attacked on another thread saying that a new engine doesn't mean much(as I said it was reused and I was confused what they did with their time). Now you're using it as a selling point for the game.

In response to the 100 man team. Give 100 modders an engine, four years of pay, and licensing rights. What would you expect out of them?

Maybe they spent so much time on the settlement system that it took away from the rest of the game, it must have been all hands on deck for that.

the 3d modelers creating the items that can be placed and made

the landscapers creating the settlement and the terrain around it

a team creating NPCs and integrating them into the settlements.

the engineers designing and getting the whole system to work

and the programmers working out the bugs

They must have spent at least a year on this settlement system. I hope it dies a fiery death and never returns.

Fo3 was the only other similar family oriented story and you abandoned by your father.

He is still may dad, I still had a mom that died on me and all that.

I'm sure he knows Obsidian made NV

Sorry, his statement confused me.

Fo3 was the only other similar family oriented story and you abandoned by your father.

True, but 1 and 2 did also gave you a back story and you came from somewhere in game. The only hollow fallout is NV PC, and TES pcs are still even hollower.

I don't want to bother responding to you anymore. You're ignoring everyone's points and making false statements, catering to who knows what.

What false statements? What do I bother replaying with lies out from my ass? How is that useful to me in any way? Can't I just be wrong or half wrong?

I didn't ignore. I didn't replay to some of your points because I do agree with them. I will make sure to take address something like that next time, sorry if you were bothered by it. maybe I'm hanging out in reddit a lot.

And carter to what? Isn't normal to try to correct people arguments if one found faults in them and have a discussion? I did see faults about what you said Sturges and Skyrim quests and comparing Skyrim to fo4 and said something about it.

Edited by Boombro