I'm Really Losing Interest - Is this game even worth finishing?

Nebrule

Fo3 was the only other similar family oriented story and you abandoned by your father.

He is still may dad, I still had mom that died on me and all that.

Fo3 was the only other similar family oriented story and you abandoned by your father.

True, but 1 and 2 did also gave you a back story and you came from somewhere in game. The only hollow fallout is NV PC, and TES pcs are still even hollower.

I don't want to bother responding to you anymore. You're ignoring everyone's points and making false statements, catering to who knows what.

What false statements? What do I bother replaying with lies out from my ass? How is that useful to me in any way? Can't I just be wrong or half wrong?

I didn't ignore. I didn't replay to some of your points because I do agree with them. I will make sure to take address something like that next time, sorry if you were bothered by it. maybe I'm hanging out in reddit a lot.

And carter to what? Isn't normal to try to correct people arguments if one found faults in them and have a discussion? I did see faults about what you said Sturges and Skyrim quests and comparing Skyrim to fo4 and said something about it.

#1 besides the point, ignored my entirely valid reasoning

#2 so they're all similar because you came from somewhere? what? so they all have RP ruining backstory?

#3 you're not correcting anybody (see 1 & 2)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some interesting arguments here but if I can offer some perspective. Anyone recall the old game/toy where you have to tilt the little tray and get the balls in the holes? Notice how the more balls you get home the harder it is to get more without loosing the ones you already got - I've never played the app version BTW.

But thats the position anyone adding to the fallout games is in and most of what people are complaining about here is FO4 got a few new balls in but knocked more out in the process than any previous game, which is why it feels like a step backwards is some respects.

Anyone that had given this idea a moments thought knew this was going to happen. Hell, we were discussing it in FNV forums a year ago. What was the alternative? That they didn't try anything new.. Imagine the howls of protest if we'd been offered another FO3 remake!

What I'm saying is what many people, myself included, are finding disappointing was inevitable! The chances of the devs not loosing some balls when they tried to move the story/concept along was vanishingly remote. And to be brutally honest some of the balls, thats to say some of the cannon-concepts needed ditching.

This because the absurd logical implausibilities were multiplying exponentially when you tried, for instance, to do something with nuclear motorbikes in a world where you apparently have AA-cells with enough power to launch a pound of bacon into orbit! Most of the absurdities we should try to remember were meant as jokes! Or at least amusing whimsy..

So personally I'm no more disappointed with FO4 than I was resigned to being, Annoyed sure at decisions like; lets ditch all the real firearms in favor if a (not very funny) fantasy idea,

Buuuuut.. not bitter, things like that was almost certain.

besides the point, ignored my entirely valid reasoning

Because I agreed to most of it.

#2 so they're all similar because you came from somewhere? what? so they all have RP ruining backstory?

for some RP Stories in way, but I didn't meant that. You said:

Would they put a 'someone took my baby' main plot line in ES?

While TES games it always a prisoner with no hint from where they came from. That why I said that fo games does give your pc a back story.

you're not correcting anybody

Yes, I did.

xample: There is an institute quest later on where they are trying to "recruit" a minuteman who has an affinity for science and mechanics. (This in itself has it's own issues but whatever.) Well, that is the only thing you know about Sturges.

There was nothing that said that Sturges was a part of the MM, or anything that suggested he was a science man or mechanist. He does tell you that he can't hack the first locked pc you find, and it has a low level lock. There is nothing that suggests or says that he of high QI that will spark the institute interest. Or did you saw , notice or read something that does show he is that I didn't?

You also said:

It's a random person who you talk to through a door and never see otherwise.

And that clearly wrong, since I talked to him shortly after in the lab.And the he was no part of any faction before. The MM was there since the institute was there, or did miss a line of dialogue you recall?

And you said Skyrim stories connected with each other, I don't recall any and asked for an example since I hardly recall anything like that.

The civil war crossed with the main story, also it brought you to brynjolf who introduces you to the theives guild and later the dark brotherhood storyline crosses with the theives guild when you talk to delvin not once, but twice to progress the story.

Oh those! They crossed so slightly I didn't even saw them like that. I thought BadReplicant meant deeper crossing factions. Sorry about that BadReplicant.

FO1 - You're tasked with finding a water chip to save the vault

FO2 - You're tasked with finding the GECK to restore life

FO3 - You're dad abandons you, reason unknown

FNV - Courier is shot for his package

FO4 - You have a military background and raised a family -> Someone kills your wife/husband and kidnaps your baby

One of these things is not like the others

Sturges

"You can fix just about anything; guns, computers, people, just gotta have the right tools."

"Most people are good at breaking things. I enjoy putting em back together."

"You oughta be careful, I can fix most things but people, they don't fix so easily."

"This place is really comin together. I can't take all the credit."

That's his entire personality right there.

If you choose MM he is the one who puts the signal interceptor together. You give him the blueprints. You also give him the holotape to sabotage the institute. He's the MM's Tinker Tom in a way. He's a MM.

I believe the institute says the man you're recruiting is a MM. I'm trying to check this now. I guess i overlooked him in the institute afterwards, but I definately didn't see him before. Still a missed opportunity.

I wouldn't mind having conversation with other people on the boards but I feel like every time I post you jump in and try to put me on the defensive. I'm not talking out of my ass and I'm not just bitching for the hell of it.

I'm concerned one of my favorite developers is turning to the dark side. (Yes, I'm pumped about Star Wars tomorrow)

Sorry, but I'm not really targeting anyone whatsoever. I don't even recall you, what you said and what I said since I have a short term memory.

FO1 - You're tasked with finding a water chip to save the vault

FO2 - You're tasked with finding the GECK to restore life
FO3 - You're dad abandons you, reason unknown
FNV - Courier is shot for his package

You have a point, but that is not what I meant. I meant they come from a vault/tribe of some kind in the game. So you do have a hint of back ground.

Sturges

"You can fix just about anything; guns, computers, people, just gotta have the right tools."
"Most people are good at breaking things. I enjoy putting em back together."
"You oughta be careful, I can fix most things but people, they don't fix so easily."
"This place is really comin together. I can't take all the credit."
That's his entire personality right there.

That just means he is a handy man but spot on the signal interceptor. I sided with the RR instead so Tom made it.

Fo4 didn't take a step back from FNV since it not the same devs. It your fault to expect the same level of quality from a different team.

You basically went to an old English pub, then went to second cup cafe and was so shocked it was different.

Given the good reviews FNV got, it seems strange that FO4 didn't take notes from it. Even if it IS different developers, I'm surprised they didn't follow things that worked so well for FNV. AAA gaming is full of copying stuff that worked well in other games, so it seems silly not to take from within the same franchise.

Also, while it was DEVELOPED by Obsidian, it was PUBLISHED by Bethesda. So why oh WHY did Bethesda not pull anything from it that worked so well?

the person working on this quest didn't know who Sturges was

Just like you. Sturges can't even hack a novice pc or lock, he is also a basic builder not a bright scientist or machinist or even part of the MM. What gave you the idea it was him in the first place?

There's records in Quincy of him restoring old Power Armor.

And That is what's so disheartening about FO4, the issues are not with stability, graphics or actionable gameplay, but with the foundational lack of storied depth and immersion, and that is a problem that even mods are going to be hard pressed fix.

The is the real problem.

As mentioned before in other posts, the main issue with the game is not mechanics or stability, it's story. Something you even agreed with (but then disagree with in other posts). Thing is, it's different teams working on stability, graphics and gameplay to the teams working on stories and depth, or at least I assume it's that way. And ACTUALLY, of all the things that are easy to slip in to a game to improve it, a few records on terminals (not even voice acting required) or linking areas together by backgrounds is probably quicker and easier than working out AI pathing. As I said, use terminals. In-game lore doodads you can find.

Hell, just some more varied names for Raiders, as I mentioned. Don't change their stats, just give them gang names. Mechanically, still the same dudes.

Seriously, enough with the logical fallacies and bad arguments. I get it, you're playing devil's advocate for the sake of the thread... but anyone that knows their stuff about debate can see your points are inconsistent, with a tendancy to flip-flop just for the sake of arguing.

Edited by Athanasa

Okay. So Father does not tell you it's a MM being recruited, but he contacted the MM for help. You can ask father for more info and he'll tell you it's Wallace before you get there. It could have easily been Sturges (fits his role on the game) which would've made the quest better and given you the opportunity to make a more important decision, that would have shook things up a bit in a good way. Something you should notice within 4 years of development time.

I'm also surprised about them not taking notes from NV. It wasn't perfect but it did a lot of things right. There were hard feelings between Beth and Obsidian if I remember. Anyone know why?

The main issue is that I feel things have been stripped back because "players didn't notice them". It's like seasoning in food. If done well, you don't taste the salt and pepper, it enhances the other tastes. But if you take them OUT, everything tastes bland. This is what's happened to FO4: they couldn't taste the seasoning, so they assumed they wouldn't miss it if they took it out.

To take this analogy further, let's use an omelet. It's beautifully presented. It's got parsley and stuff. In fact, it's this omelette.

omelet1.jpg

Doesn't it look delicious? This is what we get with gameplay videos and sceenshots.

So we buy the omelette, because it looks delicious. It arrives at our table. Our mouths are watering, it looks amazing. And the other meals you've had from this café were good. So you take a bite.

And... it tastes bland. Oh well, maybe it was just that end? You keep eating. Maybe it'll get better?

And then you're most of the way through your omelette. Sure, it's definitely an omelette. But... it tastes bland, nothing like what you've come to expect.

Sure, it LOOKS better than their other omelettes, and at least you haven't found large bits of egg-shell (bugs) in it like you have with some of their other meals. Despite this, you find yourself missing the flavours, even if it DOES mean occasional bits of egg-shell.

You don't finish it. You ask a waiter to bring over the salt and pepper, and wait while they go to get them. Hopefully, it hasn't gone cold by that time.