If you were the Wanderer IRL, who would you have sided with?

LordElfa

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I have something that I want to point out for pro BoS Faction people. With the knowledge that The Institute is indeed right below the MIT building, just isolated with a teleporter... why destroy it? Can't you just get a lot of people together, steal some old equipment from of the nearby mines, and just start excavating the area? Dig straight down and attack The Institute directly? Then steal all of their stuff? I mean, it's not like they are on the bloody moon and you can't reach them.

Regardless if you "Dig A Hole To China" to reach the Institute or force the way in as what happens in FO4 with the BOS, you simply aren't going to "steal" stuff from the Institute. You'll get detected eventually and the Institute will throw whatever Synths they can at you and then you're going to have a stand-up fight.

Let's say you do "steal stuff," whatever that may be. Do not underestimate the capability of people to adjust and overcome their circumstances. Especially the Institute which is loaded with very resourceful people and will still have their Synths to do their dirty work. Once you cross swords with an organization as vile as the Institute, only 1 is going to be left standing. Don't give them a chance to recuperate, don't leave a chance for survivors to come back at you later when you're least ready for it.

Well... it's the Brotherhood, and let's be honest... despite their claims to the contrary I'm willing to bet that they might be interested in that FEV research with its potential cure and all as a weapon to be used against the super mutants. Then there is all that research into plant-life, and the freaking huge fusion reactor they have stowed away. So pretty much, I'm saying, oh and this is a real life scenario by the way....

You tell Maxson exactly what is down there and instead of trying to blow it all up, you opt to dig straight down from the CIT foundations using Ghoul Slave Labor (Because its the BoS lolz), then breach The Institute the hard way, storming the place with Paladins in power armor, armed to the teeth with gatling lasers. You kill every single thing who tries to fight back and capture all the scientist who surrender. Afterwards, you dismantle the synth creation thingy and pretty much make the 'captive audience' your research division. Oh sure, they'll refuse at first, but these egg-heads have never dealt with 'actual' soldiers before because that's 'the synths job,' so I'm expecting that they will comply after a few vicious public beatings. If not, you can always just shoot them all and loot the place of everything not nailed down.

Well... it's the Brotherhood, and let's be honest... despite their claims to the contrary I'm willing to bet that they might be interested in that FEV research with its potential cure and all as a weapon to be used against the super mutants. Then there is all that research into plant-life, and the freaking huge fusion reactor they have stowed away. So pretty much, I'm saying, oh and this is a real life scenario by the way....

You tell Maxson exactly what is down there and instead of trying to blow it all up, you opt to dig straight down from the CIT foundations using Ghoul Slave Labor (Because its the BoS lolz), then breach The Institute the hard way, storming the place with Paladins in power armor, armed to the teeth with gatling lasers. You kill every single thing who tries to fight back and capture all the scientist who surrender. Afterwards, you dismantle the synth creation thingy and pretty much make the 'captive audience' your research division. Oh sure, they'll refuse at first, but these egg-heads have never dealt with 'actual' soldiers before because that's 'the synths job,' so I'm expecting that they will comply after a few vicious public beatings. If not, you can always just shoot them all and loot the place of everything not nailed down.

The only interest the Brotherhood of Steel has with FEV is it's destruction as well as the mutants FEV has generated. Outside the remnants of The Master's Super Mutant Army / The Unity of FO1, no other organization, faction in the entirety of the Fallout franchise has come face to face with FEV, it's dangers and the tech behind it. The BOS in more recent years, i.e. the events of Fallout 3, have dealt with a heavy Super Mutant menace from Vault 87 in the Capital Wasteland. The Institute was actively turning people into Super Mutants with their FEV experiments in the Commonwealth.

If you do Virgil's quest in FO4:

You'll find his holotape and the Institute's very long history of failure with the FEV experiments. Virgil pleaded with Father to stop the experiments because it was literally accomplishing nothing but harm, yet Father insisted to push on. The Institute's forays with FEV was a complete failure and only turned kidnapped humans into Super Mutants. Another reason to leave nothing behind of the Institute but ash.

And the Brotherhood does not do slave labor. At no time in the entirety of the franchise have they ever done such a thing.

Edited by Warmaker01

The only interest the Brotherhood of Steel has with FEV is it's destruction as well as the mutants FEV has generated. Outside the remnants of The Master's Super Mutant Army / The Unity of FO1, no other organization, faction in the entirety of the Fallout franchise has come face to face with FEV, it's dangers and the tech behind it. The BOS in more recent years, i.e. the events of Fallout 3, have dealt with a heavy Super Mutant menace from Vault 87 in the Capital Wasteland. The Institute was actively turning people into Super Mutants with their FEV experiments in the Commonwealth.

If you do Virgil's quest in FO4:

You'll find his holotape and the Institute's very long history of failure with the FEV experiments. Virgil pleaded with Father to stop the experiments because it was literally accomplishing nothing but harm, yet Father insisted to push on. The Institute's forays with FEV was a complete failure and only turned kidnapped humans into Super Mutants. Another reason to leave nothing behind of the Institute but ash.

And the Brotherhood does not do slave labor. At no time in the entirety of the franchise have they ever done such a thing.

Except for the Brotherhood of Steel Inquisitors. Technically, the established lore regarding the BoS Inquisitors IS still canon. Regarding the role of Inquisitors... I think they would be VERY interested in FEV research. Furthermore, Auditor Generals have both extorted farmers and used slave labor... sooo... yeah... there is that.

Edited by jcdenton2012

First reaction would be to see what's left of home. Then after seeing and finding Codsworth and hearing it's been 200 years. Sit down and think, stock up on supplies from the vault, find a defensive hideout and probably coming up with the thought that being in cryo means the abduction could have happened anytime during that 200 years. So Shaun could be anything from still a baby to died of old age. No use going after him like a headless chicken into an unknown world.

Find out as much as possible from Codsworth and start stealthy reconnesaince of the area.

Probably first thing to try is to find transport, try to repair a vehicle, reason no one does is probably because they do not know how to operate them, the knowledge is lost. Perhaps find out the hard way they dont use vehicles is simply there are no decent roads. Though finding and repairing a offroad vehicle should be a possibility. Even after 200 years you should be able to find something to get operational.

Then it all depends on your encounters, do you get lucky finding the right persons? Or do they shoot you on sight?

If you make it to Diamond city you could make a living there, with your pre war knowledge and military background you could probably become head of security and from that position start investigating what could have happened to Shaun, support Piper in her investigation of the institute. Set up a liason with the minutemen. Tell people how it was before the bombs and that it is possible to build a better world, organize to face the dangers and drive out the "baddies"

Trying to negotiate with the gunners to turn them into an army to make Boston a safe heaven. Settlements provide them with food and they protect them that would be the best option for both. Probably introduce conscription to build up forces for any future threads.

Lot of work and you probably will never find Shaun, but the most usefull thing to do instead of ending up dead or a hobo in a strange world.

OK, I have something that I want to point out for pro BoS Faction people. With the knowledge that The Institute is indeed right below the MIT building, just isolated with a teleporter... why destroy it? Can't you just get a lot of people together, steal some old equipment from of the nearby mines, and just start excavating the area? Dig straight down and attack The Institute directly? Then steal all of their stuff? I mean, it's not like they are on the bloody moon and you can't reach them.

Well, if you've done the Minutemen ending, you'll know that technically you don't even have to dig. There actually are tunnels that lead right into the Institute.

I think the question is more like: exactly what tech would you salvage?

The Institute, for all its talk, actually hasn't made much progress in anything but making synths. In 210 years, their bio division has made one strain of bigger melons. and synth gorillas. By comparison, Dr Penske did more in a vault with far less resources and time. They managed to make one cure for a strain of FEV they created, i.e., it's useless for the actual strains that are a problem. By comparison, Curie did far more than that alone in half the time on rats. And then there's the teleportation.

But other than that, it's pretty much nada. Their computers run the same pre-war OS. Their lasers are actually weaker than pre-war military lasers. They don't even know how to make a fusion reactor that works without a pre-war component that was just a booster for normal reactors, if you read the notes. They have to murderize people just to get a signal amplifier that an academic with a degree in electronics should be able to just design, especially given a lot of resources and people and 210 years. Etc.

They're all bluster and no substance, basically. They have a nice place they built with slave labour, and by plundering the area above for resources, but a futuristic theme doesn't necessarily mean they have SF tech. In fact, on most domains they seem to have at best stagnated technologically, and at worst regressed. As you'd expect an isolationist group to, really, if you look at human history.

And really, it's not hard to build monumental stuff if you have an endless supply of free slave labour. The Romans and Greeks did that too, without having 23'rd technology tech.

Strip away that slave labour, and the Institute really doesn't have much tech to contribute. Or which you could steal.

Well, if you've done the Minutemen ending, you'll know that technically you don't even have to dig. There actually are tunnels that lead right into the Institute.

The Institute, for all its talk, actually hasn't made much progress in anything but making synths. In 210 years, their bio division has made one strain of bigger melons. and synth gorillas. By comparison, Dr Penske did more in a vault with far less resources and time. They managed to make one cure for a strain of FEV they created, i.e., it's useless for the actual strains that are a problem. By comparison, Curie did far more than that alone in half the time on rats. And then there's the teleportation.

But other than that, it's pretty much nada. Their computers run the same pre-war OS. Their lasers are actually weaker than pre-war military lasers. They don't even know how to make a fusion reactor that works without a pre-war component that was just a booster for normal reactors, if you read the notes. They have to murderize people just to get a signal amplifier that an academic with a degree in electronics should be able to just design, especially given a lot of resources and people and 210 years. Etc.

They're all bluster and no substance, basically. They have a nice place they built with slave labour, and by plundering the area above for resources, but a futuristic theme doesn't necessarily mean they have SF tech. In fact, on most domains they seem to have at best stagnated technologically, and at worst regressed. As you'd expect an isolationist group to, really, if you look at human history.

And really, it's not hard to build monumental stuff if you have an endless supply of free slave labour. The Romans and Greeks did that too, without having 23'rd technology tech.

Strip away that slave labour, and the Institute really doesn't have much tech to contribute. Or which you could steal.

I highly doubt they invented teleportation, we know for a fact there are alliens and they use teleporters on their ship. They probably found a ufo and reverse engineered or perhaps even traded the teleport tech with the aliens. Endless supply of Synth test subjects for the aliens??

Come to think of it, probably just the way Beth makes kids, but does'nt Nat remind you alot of Sally in mothership Zeta??

I highly doubt they invented teleportation, we know for a fact there are alliens and they use teleporters on their ship. They probably found a ufo and reverse engineered or perhaps even traded the teleport tech with the aliens. Endless supply of Synth test subjects for the aliens??

Come to think of it, probably just the way Beth makes kids, but does'nt Nat remind you a lot of Sally in mothership Zeta??

Put father Elijah in that institute and give him 200 years. He'd remake Earth in his image.