Private forum for recognised mod authors

Dark0ne

Its sad to hear that modders need a Thick skin :(

it has to be the other way tho, nice people who are doing things for there hobby and giving us so much do not have to have Thick skin.sad to see there are lot of people where the brain is the last muscle thy use in there live.

Its even the reason i don't make my mods free to public, what i have see over the years am on modding forums is horrible sometimes.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. I am not a modder myself but am friendly with several, and I know that trolling of the kind that selerna mentions having seen on modding forums CAN lead to modders refusing to share, as jim_uk says. Trolling and other abuses do not happy modders make, especially when the abuse is coming from people who don't share their talent and have most likely caused their own problems, ie can't install the mod for example.

I am a mod user.

Mod makers have supplied me with more variety and outright fun than any of my favorite games developers have with their entire game series.

Please, Mod Makers, correct me if I am wrong here, but I absolutely do no see ANY of you releasing mods only to the inner circle. For every 1 very loud complainer, or someone who asks the same question, there are 50 people who simply love the work you do, me included.

I think any worry that people might have as to this becoming a modders only mod world, is unfounded, and counterproductive to a large part of the spirit of modding.

I am happy that modders get their own space, and believe outright that it will only lead to a less cluttered way for them to interact. Which, when thought of selfishly - will only benefit the end user.

They also need a little reward, since modding can take a large section of a persons very important life. Reward is rare.

I am a mod user.

Mod makers have supplied me with more variety and outright fun than any of my favorite games developers have with their entire game series.

Please, Mod Makers, correct me if I am wrong here, but I absolutely do no see ANY of you releasing mods only to the inner circle. For every 1 very loud complainer, or someone who asks the same question, there are 50 people who simply love the work you do, me included.

They also need a little reward, since modding can take a large section of a persons very important life. Reward is rare.

agree. Whitespider and a few others have clarified this issue for me tremendously. Thank you.

My first understanding: The private area was to encourage more people (good and bad) to create mods, and to "facilitate communication." I perceived the danger (to me and others like me) of missing the coolest conversations, and the danger to the modders that they would miss out on input from us non-modder smart people. I chimed in asking for the idea to be reconsidered.

My current understanding: Trolls and morons of every stripe (a group to which readers of this thread have, quite possibly, already added me because of my comments) have ruined the forum experience for the modders and they need a safe-haven to facilitate their work.

I support any idea that protects the artists of our community and will allow them to work in peace. I support the idea for this private forum, and no - I won't make a crappy mod with a sexual angle just in the hopes of getting in. I hope everyone will respect this idea and work to make it happen and that the 1,000 DL rule will prove a strong enough "troll-barrier."

I understand now that I am the very thing the forum was created to protect the modders from, and I accept that in reality we can't kill all the trolls (they just respawn) so creating a safe-haven is the best move.

I love and admire the modders and their work. I am deeply sorry if anything I tried to contribute to this thread made any of the modders feel they had yet another reason not to mod. I'll be more careful in the future.

The private area was to encourage more people (good and bad) to create mods, and to "facilitate communication."...

So let's just leave it at that.

It's been a rough year. The nexus mod community has taken a few big hits. The 'recongized modders' I've seen exit this community, ugh, it pains me. Such talent. What a waste.

Let's not forget what is the foundation of Nexus.

What if there are NO modders, what happens to Nexus?

What if the 'quality' of mods/modders goes down, and ppl stop downloading so much here?

The traffic to these sites will be less and less, and thus the 'paying' members and advert clicks will go down too. What happens to Nexus should any of that happen?

When a game is released to the public, take 'Sanctum' for example, there are forums for the fans/users, and forums for the 'devs', right?

EXACTLY

An area for the 'devs' here on Nexus has been a long time overdue in my opinion. Up until now we've only had forums for the fans/users here on Nexus. A so-called 'developer forum' area for mod authors is something I'm quite ready and willing to embrace.

I've accumilated over 60,000 unique downloads, and I look forward to collaberating with fellow mod authors, and making new friends. What if two modders met on the dev forums, and 'join forces' to create some kind of kickbutt mod for all of you, maybe some of you whiners would shut your mouths about this whole thing. By no means can this be considered segregation at all, don't be silly.

Edited by weijiesen

The private area was to encourage more people (good and bad) to create mods, and to "facilitate communication."...

So let's just leave it at that.

It's been a rough year. The nexus mod community has taken a few big hits. The 'recongized modders' I've seen exit this community, ugh, it pains me. Such talent. What a waste.

Let's not forget what is the foundation of Nexus.

What if there are NO modders, what happens to Nexus?

What if the 'quality' of mods/modders goes down, and ppl stop downloading so much here?

The traffic to these sites will be less and less, and thus the 'paying' members and advert clicks will go down too. What happens to Nexus should any of that happen?

When a game is released to the public, take 'Sanctum' for example, there are forums for the fans/users, and forums for the 'devs', right?

EXACTLY

An area for the 'devs' here on Nexus has been a long time overdue in my opinion. Up until now we've only had forums for the fans/users here on Nexus. A so-called 'developer forum' area for mod authors is something I'm quite ready and willing to embrace.

I've accumilated over 60,000 unique downloads, and I look forward to collaberating with fellow mod authors, and making new friends. What if two modders met on the dev forums, and 'join forces' to create some kind of kickbutt mod for all of you, maybe some of you whiners would shut your mouths about this whole thing. By no means can this be considered segregation at all, don't be silly.

The reason that forum even exists is for that to happen so we can have someone say well I was thinking of making a mod but I can only do meshes and textures but cannot make the level itself and than someone will agree to make that level and bam, both of them combine to make something more than they could do themselves.

having read several pages of these comments....

were I to set this up, I would arrange matters so that only those people classed as "modders" are able to actually post. while anyone can browse and read the (much clearer and more knowledgable) posts.

that way those people just starting out have a resource of useful information they can draw upon if they care to look, without having to search through pages of drivel and mod requests with no responses.

having the private area is good for helping the more serious modders to get together and share skills and knowledge, but it also excludes those people who are serious about starting, but haven't the knowhow to gain entry...not that its the only source of useful information out there :P I know there are plenty of useful resources online for learning this stuff, but it'd still be helpful to read over what the advanced guys are doing.

actually that reminds me of something someone (I think weijenson) mentioned, it'd be really nice if the nexus was more WIP friendly. as it stands, its very hard to provide updates and WIP on a project and allow those updates to get the attention they perhaps deserve, I mean yeah there's the file-tracking ability, but perhaps something along the side-bar as an update of the tracking data would be good....just to give me a reason to check on the tracking data.

never mind, I think the private forum stuff is a good idea, but it should be worked on a little more...

Palidoo- +1 DL from me to help you get in.

Anton- +1 DL from me to help you get in. (BTW, you have an empty upload page with no attachment that needs to be taken care of ;) http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35447)

Yoba +1 DL from me to help you get in.

Craig +1 DL from me to help you get in.

Gambit +1 DL from me to help you get in.

Not much, I know. But hey, every little bit helps, and if everybody chips in, that will be more members that are closer to being able to have access :thumbsup:

Personally, I see some real advantages to this. I mean, say that modderX's mod gets yucked up by a new patch and he/she doesn't know how to fix the problem. It's a popular mod, and they go to the forums to help. A bunch of their fans see the thread they posted asking for help from other modders about the problem, and end up spamming it up with a bunch of posts wishing them good luck, telling them how much they like their mods, criticisms, or requests.

While having fans is awesome!! But sometimes... it doesnt help solve the problems, and just makes more stuff to read thru to get to the what you're actually looking for that might help to solve the problem.

In that particular aspect, I can see this as being a HUGE help to the modders. :thumbsup:

In another aspect... as was mentioned before... the modders on here do take a lot of crap from some of the members. Having someplace to vent about that in private, away from the public eye.. with others who know and understand.... could also be therapeutic as well!

Palidoo- +1 DL from me to help you get in.

Anton- +1 DL from me to help you get in. (BTW, you have an empty upload page with no attachment that needs to be taken care of ;) http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35447)

Yoba +1 DL from me to help you get in.

Craig +1 DL from me to help you get in.

Gambit +1 DL from me to help you get in.

Not much, I know. But hey, every little bit helps, and if everybody chips in, that will be more members that are closer to being able to have access :thumbsup:

Personally, I see some real advantages to this. I mean, say that modderX's mod gets yucked up by a new patch and he/she doesn't know how to fix the problem. It's a popular mod, and they go to the forums to help. A bunch of their fans see the thread they posted asking for help from other modders about the problem, and end up spamming it up with a bunch of posts wishing them good luck, telling them how much they like their mods, criticisms, or requests.

While having fans is awesome!! But sometimes... it doesnt help solve the problems, and just makes more stuff to read thru to get to the what you're actually looking for that might help to solve the problem.

In that particular aspect, I can see this as being a HUGE help to the modders. :thumbsup:

In another aspect... as was mentioned before... the modders on here do take a lot of crap from some of the members. Having someplace to vent about that in private, away from the public eye.. with others who know and understand.... could also be therapeutic as well!

Oh hey thanks. Totally forgot about it :P Sorry