Site redesign - 2016 Update #1

TheTokenGeek

The latest design mock looks great. Go for it. As long as we can find what we need, I see no problems with a site redesign.

I like the simpler search option: one box, enter all text from author to keywords in the name and description, then search.

One agreement to a comment I read: don't make it too thin. I have an abundant amount of space unused right now, although it's not really a hindrance to using the site. More of an aesthetic suggestion.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #34714225. #34714475, #34715070, #34715220, #34715695, #34715820 are all replies on the same post.

DaJay42 wrote: Please, please keep in mind that the majority of your users will browse the site on a 16:9 or even 21:9 monitor. Don't go thin and tall. Vertical space wasted = bad. Horizontal space unused = bad.
TWFH1 wrote: yep
famidrive wrote: Which is why you should always. ALWAYS, design a site from a mobile perspective and make the design adapt in size as you go up. Never goes wrong.
dredlord45 wrote: Agreed.
And why the f*#@ would you be on here with anything other than a PC anyway? You can't even USE anything on here if you're not.
Fami, you are wrong in every way. Those devices can't use anything on here, so the Nexus shouldn't cater to them.
starfis wrote: @famidrive: That is exactly what happened during last redesign do you see the noodle, right?

I don't understand this stress on mobile compatibility. We are all PC users, there is no question about that. Mods can be used only on PC not on mobiles, tablets etc. I know there are times we need to check the site from mobile, but majority of editing will still be done on desktop.
Thom293 wrote: Dredlord45 - what are you talking about? I literally browse the nexus every day, respond to PMs, notes on my mods, etc, from my phone. It absolutely works and is my primary way to spend time here. When I am home on the computer, Im modding or playing. Phone is useful.

Granted Im on a Windows Phone (which is fracking awesome by the way) so maybe other phones dont give you that option? I swore my old Iphone did though...

@dredlord45 So, you're saying that potentially thousands of users are wrong for browsing this site on their phones during their lunch break or some other situation where a phone is their only option? Good show. Edited by GuerillaTech

In response to post #34714225. #34714475, #34715070, #34715220, #34715695, #34715820, #34715960 are all replies on the same post.

DaJay42 wrote: Please, please keep in mind that the majority of your users will browse the site on a 16:9 or even 21:9 monitor. Don't go thin and tall. Vertical space wasted = bad. Horizontal space unused = bad.
famidrive wrote: Which is why you should always. ALWAYS, design a site from a mobile perspective and make the design adapt in size as you go up. Never goes wrong.
And why the f*#@ would you be on here with anything other than a PC anyway? You can't even USE anything on here if you're not.
Fami, you are wrong in every way. Those devices can't use anything on here, so the Nexus shouldn't cater to them.
starfis wrote: @famidrive: That is exactly what happened during last redesign do you see the noodle, right?

I don't understand this stress on mobile compatibility. We are all PC users, there is no question about that. Mods can be used only on PC not on mobiles, tablets etc. I know there are times we need to check the site from mobile, but majority of editing will still be done on desktop.
Thom293 wrote: Dredlord45 - what are you talking about? I literally browse the nexus every day, respond to PMs, notes on my mods, etc, from my phone. It absolutely works and is my primary way to spend time here. When I am home on the computer, Im modding or playing. Phone is useful.

Granted Im on a Windows Phone (which is fracking awesome by the way) so maybe other phones dont give you that option? I swore my old Iphone did though...
GuerillaTech wrote: @dredlord45 So, you're saying that potentially thousands of users are wrong for browsing this site on their phones during their lunch break or some other situation where a phone is their only option? Good show.

yeah .. on 1920 * 1080 I have so much space that I can have two times nexus open without missing anything on the site. Really make the website wider , not taller... Less scrolling is more joy.

In response to post #34714225. #34714475, #34715070, #34715220, #34715695, #34715820, #34715960, #34716130 are all replies on the same post.

GuerillaTech wrote: @dredlord45 So, you're saying that potentially thousands of users are wrong for browsing this site on their phones during their lunch break or some other situation where a phone is their only option? Good show.
Vylmort wrote: yeah .. on 1920 * 1080 I have so much space that I can have two times nexus open without missing anything on the site. Really make the website wider , not taller... Less scrolling is more joy.

Agree! 1920 x 1080 res and 60 ref has become a standard for 16:9 and web pages would be better if they comply. Movie providers are still letter boxing HD movies on a screen that is 16:9 and it down right lousy to have the top and bottom spaces blacked out for the thin strip between them to have the movie showing. SD is better still because it doesn't run a row of blank space across the bottom or top.
Columns of web pages could be staggered across the screen. But need to be Zoomed in on with todays Wide Screen Monitors for easy reading. Today this page has no sidebars image background. I used another computer with W7 Home Premium with a built in video system on the MoBo and the background and central page were great on that outdated HP computer. Edited by Pagafyr

In response to post #34709485. #34709835, #34709940, #34709945, #34710060, #34710240 are all replies on the same post.

Black Jack 11 wrote: ad's that don't autoplay be nice
KeystoneA1 wrote: AdBlock.
Everlive wrote: I'd rather have ads that don't auto play and still help keep the site up than use AdBlock and prevent Nexus from getting any money.
digitaltrucker wrote: Those of use that use Adblock have traditionally NOT used it on the Nexus. Running this site is ungodly expensive and we try to support it any way we can. The best way to get rid of ads AND support the site is to purchase a subscription and become a Supporter.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/users/supporter/?

J Allin wrote: Become a Premium member: No more ads :wink:
starfis wrote: Become a Supporter.

Edit: Loading a page, reading it for couple of minutes while at the same time doing other thing and then responding to a discussion isn't a good idea. :wink:

It's all fine for people to say become this or that but any of you stop to think not every one got spare cash floating about?

I skipped a burrito one day to afford my supporter status. Had a boiled egg instead.

Do keep in mind that buying premium once gives supporter (ad-free) benefits forever. If you don't want the premium, you can buy supporter directly for even less money.

Edited by khalkists

In response to post #34716340.

khalkists wrote:

In response to post #34709485. #34709835, #34709940, #34709945, #34710060, #34710240 are all replies on the same post.

Black Jack 11 wrote: ad's that don't autoplay be nice
KeystoneA1 wrote: AdBlock.
Everlive wrote: I'd rather have ads that don't auto play and still help keep the site up than use AdBlock and prevent Nexus from getting any money.
digitaltrucker wrote: Those of use that use Adblock have traditionally NOT used it on the Nexus. Running this site is ungodly expensive and we try to support it any way we can. The best way to get rid of ads AND support the site is to purchase a subscription and become a Supporter.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/users/supporter/?
J Allin wrote: Become a Premium member: No more ads :wink:
starfis wrote: Become a Supporter.

Edit: Loading a page, reading it for couple of minutes while at the same time doing other thing and then responding to a discussion isn't a good idea. :wink:

It's all fine for people to say become this or that but any of you stop to think not every one got spare cash floating about?

I skipped a burrito one day to afford my supporter status. Had a boiled egg instead.

Do keep in mind that buying premium once gives supporter (ad-free) benefits forever. If you don't want the premium, you can buy supporter directly for even less money.

The minus is you can no longer be a http://orig14.deviantart.net/d502/f/2013/098/1/f/duck_by_h_swilliams-d60v72p.gif around here, because then when you are banned you lose not only your account but also 2$. :P

In response to post #34710555.

Doodlezoid wrote: Looks a lot better. Although I do believe that there should be an area on the main page which shows recently updated mods as well. As I think some mods can end up going unnoticed as they can almost disappear after being in the new files area as they can't be seen anymore

I agree. I visit the site nearly every day (and some times several times a day) and routinely come across mods while doing something else on the site that I never saw on the new mods page.

In response to post #34710555. #34717050 is also a reply to the same post.

Doodlezoid wrote: Looks a lot better. Although I do believe that there should be an area on the main page which shows recently updated mods as well. As I think some mods can end up going unnoticed as they can almost disappear after being in the new files area as they can't be seen anymore
Ripper1302 wrote: I agree. I visit the site nearly every day (and some times several times a day) and routinely come across mods while doing something else on the site that I never saw on the new mods page.

thats is very true!!!