Ad reporting functionality

Dark0ne

When an ad loads in the forum reply text box, preventing me from typing or using the text toolbar, then AdBlock is the only way to participate. Even if it means manually typing BBCode instead of using the toolbar. It's not my choice... that's the way the site has been (not) working.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a tight*** when it comes to money. I bought a lifetime membership. It was probably one of the better purchase I have made, just to support the site and all it does. I wish more people would sub in. Thanks Nexus, for all the fun.

In response to post #35627322. #35627617, #35627792, #35628007, #35628477, #35628922, #35629122, #35629182 are all replies on the same post.

Psijonica wrote: As someone who has been very critical with most of Dark0ne's positions in the past I have to support this decision. I do believe he is trying to find a middle ground. The fact of the matter is simply that expenses are rising almost exponentially and so if everybody paid the 1-2 dollars then add revenue would not even be necessary.

And that brings me to my point: This is the area that should be focused on. How do you get more people to buy memberships? You would think 2 dollars would be an easy sale yet it seems you are unable to turn that around in your favour. This is an issue that needs to be solved.

I think you need help in this area. I don't think you will get the results to want by increasing download speeds. I do think it comes down to "PACKAGING." You are not "selling" it effectively.

Years ago I predicted that Pay-for-Mods would one day become a reality and I have also predicted that in the future the hard costs of running a service like this will become so high that some type of "Membership" will be required to download mods. I can picture a future scenario where in ten years users would get 100 free downloads and then they would have to buy a basic $2 membership. *Again like all predictions they don't happen exactly as predicted but I picture something along this vein.*

piotrmil wrote: > I can picture a future scenario where in ten years users would get 10 free downloads and then they would have to buy a basic $2 membership.

Oh sweet cheese and crackers, no. That's a horrible future. Although, to be completely honest, that wouldn't hinder playing with mods in ANY way. People would simply upload their stuff (or other people's stuff) elsewhere. So that silly and - let's hope to god - hypothetical restriction will do absolutely nothing.

Psijonica wrote: I think it is inevitable.

I think that is going to happen across the board so it would be3 an even playing field. The costs are sky rocketing. Every year the costs are going up.

The real point is how to turn over more memberships. How do you turn more users into paid memberships?

piotrmil wrote: Well, I seriously do hope that you will be wrong. Although, as the modgate showed us, we are prepared for the worst, and have a correct mindset. Just like Nexus does - the addition of donation button, a donation - not-obligatory payment - was the simplest rebuttal against Steam. It's the simple fact that telling people "you can do that" is better than "you HAVE to do that".

As for how to attract more memebrships, I dunno.

Psijonica wrote: Let me tell something. They way the internet looks now is a nightmare. When I turn on my iPad and get bombarded by all these adds everywhere make me want to turn it off. 15 years ago if someone told me that this is what the internet would look like I would be saying the same thing you are saying now, "Oh sweet cheese and crackers, no. That's a horrible future." But yet here we are.

In a perfect internet everything would be free but we lost that internet a long time ago. The corporations are here and they have monetized the internet so we are now slaves to this reality. Every year the costs are rising and they are rising FAST! There will be a time where all websites will enforce an AddBlocker ban. That is the future and because of that I believe "Memberships" will become a requirement.

If you read Dark0ne's post he says the same thing. Forbes is blocking AddBlockers now and they are not the only ones to do it.

Now that doesn't mean that there won't be AddBlockers. It does mean that the future will be different and your experience online will not be the same as it is today.

uhmattbravo wrote: The problem with paying for mods is that the quality isn't consistent. Some of us aren't professional software developers, we just learn as we go. Have you never tried a mod, and thought to yourself "wow, even if they ever actually finish it, this mod would still suck." Would you want to pay money for that mod? Should it cost the same as something absolutely incredible?

So what do you do? Prevent people who don't know what they're doing from even trying? In that case, what about those few you find that say things like "don't judge too harshly, it's my first mod" that turn out to be amazing?

The only time paying for mods is the answer is when the question is "how could I ruin something beautiful?"

absintheminded wrote: I use AdBlock on every site bar this one. But I really ought to shell out the £1.29. Hell, it's cheaper than a two litre of Coke.

Btw, bravo for the 'report ad' feature. I was working, forgot I'd left Nexus open, and got the fright of my life when my speakers blared out "Getcher cheeto-lovin' ass off the couch". I mean, rude to gamers much? Sod off, I'll eat my bloody crisps whilst taking down ghouls if I want.

Psijonica wrote: This post is not about paying for mods. Lets stay on topic please.

it's cheaper than a two litre of Coke

hahahaha that is a great catch-line! :teehee:

*grin* Do you shop at Poundland? For one junk item and a packet of Quavers, you can be free of ads!

In response to post #35629412.

ThoraldGM wrote: When an ad loads in the forum reply text box, preventing me from typing or using the text toolbar, then AdBlock is the only way to participate. Even if it means manually typing BBCode instead of using the toolbar. It's not my choice... that's the way the site has been (not) working.

We don't have any ads at all on our forums, so unless I misunderstood what you were saying, you've got adware/malware on your PC.

In response to post #35627322. #35627617, #35627792, #35628007, #35628477, #35628922, #35629122, #35629182 are all replies on the same post.

Psijonica wrote: As someone who has been very critical with most of Dark0ne's positions in the past I have to support this decision. I do believe he is trying to find a middle ground. The fact of the matter is simply that expenses are rising almost exponentially and so if everybody paid the 1-2 dollars then add revenue would not even be necessary.

And that brings me to my point: This is the area that should be focused on. How do you get more people to buy memberships? You would think 2 dollars would be an easy sale yet it seems you are unable to turn that around in your favour. This is an issue that needs to be solved.

I think you need help in this area. I don't think you will get the results to want by increasing download speeds. I do think it comes down to "PACKAGING." You are not "selling" it effectively.

Years ago I predicted that Pay-for-Mods would one day become a reality and I have also predicted that in the future the hard costs of running a service like this will become so high that some type of "Membership" will be required to download mods. I can picture a future scenario where in ten years users would get 100 free downloads and then they would have to buy a basic $2 membership. *Again like all predictions they don't happen exactly as predicted but I picture something along this vein.*

piotrmil wrote: > I can picture a future scenario where in ten years users would get 10 free downloads and then they would have to buy a basic $2 membership.

Oh sweet cheese and crackers, no. That's a horrible future. Although, to be completely honest, that wouldn't hinder playing with mods in ANY way. People would simply upload their stuff (or other people's stuff) elsewhere. So that silly and - let's hope to god - hypothetical restriction will do absolutely nothing.

Psijonica wrote: I think it is inevitable.

I think that is going to happen across the board so it would be3 an even playing field. The costs are sky rocketing. Every year the costs are going up.

The real point is how to turn over more memberships. How do you turn more users into paid memberships?

piotrmil wrote: Well, I seriously do hope that you will be wrong. Although, as the modgate showed us, we are prepared for the worst, and have a correct mindset. Just like Nexus does - the addition of donation button, a donation - not-obligatory payment - was the simplest rebuttal against Steam. It's the simple fact that telling people "you can do that" is better than "you HAVE to do that".

As for how to attract more memebrships, I dunno.

Psijonica wrote: Let me tell something. They way the internet looks now is a nightmare. When I turn on my iPad and get bombarded by all these adds everywhere make me want to turn it off. 15 years ago if someone told me that this is what the internet would look like I would be saying the same thing you are saying now, "Oh sweet cheese and crackers, no. That's a horrible future." But yet here we are.

In a perfect internet everything would be free but we lost that internet a long time ago. The corporations are here and they have monetized the internet so we are now slaves to this reality. Every year the costs are rising and they are rising FAST! There will be a time where all websites will enforce an AddBlocker ban. That is the future and because of that I believe "Memberships" will become a requirement.

If you read Dark0ne's post he says the same thing. Forbes is blocking AddBlockers now and they are not the only ones to do it.

Now that doesn't mean that there won't be AddBlockers. It does mean that the future will be different and your experience online will not be the same as it is today.

uhmattbravo wrote: The problem with paying for mods is that the quality isn't consistent. Some of us aren't professional software developers, we just learn as we go. Have you never tried a mod, and thought to yourself "wow, even if they ever actually finish it, this mod would still suck." Would you want to pay money for that mod? Should it cost the same as something absolutely incredible?

So what do you do? Prevent people who don't know what they're doing from even trying? In that case, what about those few you find that say things like "don't judge too harshly, it's my first mod" that turn out to be amazing?

The only time paying for mods is the answer is when the question is "how could I ruin something beautiful?"

absintheminded wrote: I use AdBlock on every site bar this one. But I really ought to shell out the £1.29. Hell, it's cheaper than a two litre of Coke.

Btw, bravo for the 'report ad' feature. I was working, forgot I'd left Nexus open, and got the fright of my life when my speakers blared out "Getcher cheeto-lovin' ass off the couch". I mean, rude to gamers much? Sod off, I'll eat my bloody crisps whilst taking down ghouls if I want.

Psijonica wrote: This post is not about paying for mods. Lets stay on topic please.

it's cheaper than a two litre of Coke

hahahaha that is a great catch-line! :teehee:

*grin* Do you shop at Poundland? For one junk item and a packet of Quavers, you can be free of ads!

...aaaaand I've just convinced myself with that. I am now a supporter. Quaver-less, but adless, so huzzah! :dance:

In response to post #35629422.

tarsis31 wrote: I'm a tight*** when it comes to money. I bought a lifetime membership. It was probably one of the better purchase I have made, just to support the site and all it does. I wish more people would sub in. Thanks Nexus, for all the fun.

I plan to do the same when my current one expires.

In response to post #35629537.

kraag wrote: What if a Supporter or Premium member uses an adblocker? Can you detect this and will they still be tiered correctly?

Anything to do with Adblock is unrelated to Premium Members or Supporters.

In response to post #35629412. #35629487 is also a reply to the same post.

ThoraldGM wrote: When an ad loads in the forum reply text box, preventing me from typing or using the text toolbar, then AdBlock is the only way to participate. Even if it means manually typing BBCode instead of using the toolbar. It's not my choice... that's the way the site has been (not) working.

Dark0ne wrote: We don't have any ads at all on our forums, so unless I misunderstood what you were saying, you've got adware/malware on your PC.

I will take another look at my phone and laptop. There's been many times software says I'm clean but the ad hijacking persists. I wouldn't be surprised if people are using ad blockers simply out of frustration that nothing else is working. It would be nice to see video embeds on mod pages and use forum toolbars again.