Bethesda forums and websites hacked: usernames, emails, and passwords

Galahaut

I don't think users have a lot to worry if they have a reasonably complex password. AFAIK, beth's forums store passwords encrypted in MD5 in the databse. Now MD5 isns't that great anymore these days, but unless you have a weak or mediocre password, the risk of decryption isns't THAT high. Well, they can try bruteforcing it, but that wold be a waste of time and resources.

I wouldn't know for the website, but I think it's fairly safe to assume that Beth isn't storing their passwords in plain-text...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think users have a lot to worry if they have a reasonably complex password. AFAIK, beth's forums store passwords encrypted in MD5 in the databse. Now MD5 isns't that great anymore these days, but unless you have a weak or mediocre password, the risk of decryption isns't THAT high. Well, they can try bruteforcing it, but that wold be a waste of time and resources.

I wouldn't know for the website, but I think it's fairly safe to assume that Beth isn't storing their passwords in plain-text...

People assumed that about PSN. :unsure:

Exact reason I'm going into Cybersecurity. It is because of these dumbs dumbs that are to stupid to realize what they are doing is making people mad and beyond that childish. These people claim they are smart but the truth is I've been in college for Cybersecurity for not even a month for summer classes and I know every thing they did. Hopefully I can get a job as a Civilian at the base to shut these guys down. You may think it is hard, but with the right software you can track these guys down. Wish me luck so I can help the war against Cyber crime.

Precicely how is stealing account info going to force Beth to speed up the release of Skyrim? If anything it could slow it down because they have to pull developers off of Skyrim to fight the feces storm caused by these idiots - Smart? I don't think so. Intelligent Not likely. Common sense? Not that I can see. Shoot themselves in the foot Now I think we are getting somewhere. http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f351/charonn0/ohgeez-1.gif

The only good thing is the more of these cheap password thefts they pull off, the quicker the various authorities will catch them and put them away. Unless some user who has lost his life savings finds them first. :mad:

Precicely how is stealing account info going to force Beth to speed up the release of Skyrim? If anything it could slow it down because they have to pull developers off of Skyrim to fight the feces storm caused by these idiots - Smart? I don't think so. Intelligent Not likely. Common sense? Not that I can see. Shoot themselves in the foot Now I think we are getting somewhere. http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f351/charonn0/ohgeez-1.gif

The only good thing is the more of these cheap password thefts they pull off, the quicker the various authorities will catch them and put them away. Unless some user who has lost his life savings finds them first. :mad:

Yeah, they can't exactly claim Robin Hood status on any of this recent crap and be believable.

LulzSec, for what it's worth, said they didn't release any user info.

They lied. The files have an entire user database in there for the Arkane Studios division, as well as the user hashes from Wordpress for everyone who has ever posted a comment on bethblog.com.

The Arkane stuff all has encrypted passwords, so unless they're all hideously weak, those should be ok. The user hashes on bethblog.com all contain email addresses, so if you've ever posted with your real one there, best make sure your email security is up to snuff.

wow i always wanted to create an account at beth blog but i never had time. and i got a x360 instead of ps3 so i passed from being hacked in psn. i never got my account stolen yet so i hope the nexus can learn from this and have a more secure site. no one knows what site is next.

It is definitely time to consider bringing back caning and other forms of severe public punishment for people like that. Let's see how many websites they hack after being caned and how excited other hackers will be to try after watching it done. That is is the problem...no real consequences. To much "touchy-feely", give a disease/disorder name to every little deviant behavior rather than forcing them to act properly and be accountable. I would like to volunteer to be chosen to administer the canings.