Survival mode disable mods?

birgirfg

You can keep your working Fallout 4 v1.4 and have a FO4 v1.5 to play test.

How to do this,

1. opt out of the beta and make sure your modded game plays just fine.
  2. Rename your fallout 4 folder to something like "Fallout 4 v1.4"
  3. have steam verify game cache (it will not find Fallout 4 because you have changed the folder name)
  4. Let steam install a new clean version of Fallout 4 and then opt back into the Beta and let that install.
  5. Play the game in survival mode.

when you don't want to play the beta game and want your mods back

1. Rename the Fallout 4 folder to something like Fallout 4 "Survival"
  2. Opt out of the Beta,
  3. Rename your old version of Fallout 4 (which you renamed) back to just "Fallout 4"
  4. Play the game modded in v1.4 again.

For best results create a new save folder in Users/My games/Fallout 4 and rename the old one so you don't accidentally try to load an incompatible save.

it's a little work on your end but you don't loose your progress in your current game and can jump into a survival game to play test any time you want.

Edit: if you just set steam to offline mode after patching for the beta you don't even have to think about opting out again when switching game versions, Just launch the game with F4SE or NMM.

Yup. I used to do the same kind of thing way back when I was modding Oblivion. Swapping things for various versions, one version for my current game, a second version without all the mods for my experimental mod of the moment, a third version adding the new mod into my current mod list and testing with lots of mods. I even posted how to do it in the Wiki, Then another guy came out with a much better way to do the same thing - a utility called MOM for Multiple Oblivion Manager that did the switching for you. You could have as many versions as you wanted.

For all the people that insist that Beth is up to some nefarious plot to screw over their userbase.

Here's your hat. http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww77/Tuarisbucket/Smileys/tinfoil.gif

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure Bethesda has some sort of agenda here that involves forcing Bethesda.net on us and making plugin managers like NMM useless.

I am concerned about the same thing and fear that you may be correct. Although attempts by industry types to go down the proprietary route is seldom successful, it doesn't seem to put them off. I'm particularly concerned as Bethsoft seem to be repeatedly upping the stakes with mod-prevention with FO4, and I worry that they may not figure out it's as bad an idea as when anyone else does it until they find out the hard way.

There is absolutely no logical reason for them to try and cut off Nexus or NMM at this point and time. It would be an absurdly dumb business decision and the powers that be at Beth are actually pretty good business decision makers.

I will quote this again, for those still doubting... this is straight from Peter Hines, you know, the community director dude:

Azrael ‏@ArchAzrael Mar 30

Hey. @DCDeacon True or false: The recent beta moves you guys made are because you're about the cut out 3rd party mod access like Nexusmods?
0 retweets 1 like

Pete Hines ‏@DCDeacon 24h24 hours ago

@ArchAzrael 1) I don't know what you're talking about. 2) if you want to continue to use those sites, you can. Presumably you already are.
0 retweets 0 likes

Azrael ‏@ArchAzrael 24h24 hours ago

@DCDeacon *After* the beta period,will Bethesda be cutting off the ability to sideload mods. independent of your new bethesda net?
0 retweets 0 likes

Pete Hines ‏@DCDeacon 24h24 hours ago

@ArchAzrael do you read anything i just said?

That seems pretty blunt and to the point to me. That says simply that sites like Nexus can be used and will continue to be able to be used.

There is absolutely no logical reason for them to try and cut off Nexus or NMM at this point and time. It would be an absurdly dumb business decision and the powers that be at Beth are actually pretty good business decision makers.

I dunno, maybe it's because of the tech companies I worked for over the years. Some of the random acts of management were... "curious", and I remember to this day the interesting conversation I overheard from an aimless gaggle of managers who were remarking that their 1337 management skillz were so awesome that they didn't actually require any knowledge of the company or its products. DEC went out of business a couple of years later; well okay, it was bought be Compaq, but it was a fairly ignominious end for the former IT empire.

I think it's easy to be too paranoid about a company's motivations, even with the likes of EA and its ilk, but one can never go wrong when expecting curious and random decisions to spew forth from executives.

I think a lot of members here assume that just because we use Nexus a lot and are aware of it, that the developers also know Nexus and all the top mods that are available here but that probably isn't the case. Most developers probably have heard of Nexus or know about it, but I doubt that they keep track of which mods are the most popular or the ongoing discussions or latest controversy here. Therefore the tweet by Peter Hines makes perfect sense. He has no idea that there are conspiracy theories going around about how Nexus will be cut off and his response indicates that.

I think a lot of members here assume that just because we use Nexus a lot and are aware of it, that the developers also know Nexus and all the top mods that are available here but that probably isn't the case. Most developers probably have heard of Nexus or know about it, but I doubt that they keep track of which mods are the most popular or the ongoing discussions or latest controversy here. Therefore the tweet by Peter Hines makes perfect sense. He has no idea that there are conspiracy theories going around about how Nexus will be cut off and his response indicates that.

If that were the case, they should fire their entire customer relations team today.