⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Survival mode disable mods?

birgirfg

The internet was never a social thing for me until I got into modding so I'm not up on all the lingo and slang.

But back to the topic (Sort of)

I did find that when using the Renamed folder method to change between game versions with Fallout 4, mods such as "Full Dialogue Interface" need to be re-installed when rolling your game back. I haven't done much testing on the reason why but I think it has to do with the fact that it edits "String" files. This wasn't a big deal I just had NMM install the mod again and all was good.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone overlooks the fact that since the original release of the game, the only mods that have been officially 'supported' by the game itself are replacers. Anything that requires an esp or esm was at first hidden in the main menu, and then after the first update actively disabled. To use any esp/esm mods at all we have to go around the game itself. The whole "this for beta testing purposes" argument doesn't hold water, it's been that way in the full release (and all they'd have to do to get bug reports is pay attention to their own forums). They may bring back the console, they may not. We'll have to wait and see.

I will say I'm troubled by the trend I'm seeing from Bethesda. I have a number of questions that haven't been answered by the devs yet, and the ones with the access (game media) aren't asking them. Will mods distributed outside of bethesda.net be supported? That's the big one.

Sounds like some people don't understand what the purpose of a beta test is...

No, it sounds like we paid pretty much money and that's why we should have qualify content from the start. We are not beta testers, and it's not free to play game.

You know what that sounds like?

Entitlement.

Let me tell you what you are entitled to.

You are entitled to a game. No updates. If it doesn't run on your system, you're entitled to some troubleshooting to help find out why, but not a fix.

Let me add in what you are not entitled to by buying the game.

1. Updates. Those are put out at the company's discretion. That means when they want to patch some of the security in the game, or fix the way it looks because something makes it crash... they will opt to fix it. It's not a right to get an updates, it's a privileged.

2. Broadcasting your gameplay. The content belongs to the company. Showing it off, that's breaking DMCA, and you should be grateful that they allow you to do so, and monetize it on youtube so you can make money off THEIR creation.

3. Mods. You're technically not allowed to change the source code of the game in anyway. That would break it's copyright. Oh? you don't like that? Well how would you like to write a book and have someone buy a copy just to change around the words on you?

All you are entitled to is the base game. That's what you paid for. You then agreed to terms of service when you installed it. The company's terms. EVERYTHING else offered to you, is out of the kindness of their hearts. Don't like that thought? Uninstall the game, and sell it on EBAY, give it away, put it away, or destroy it. You are entitled to do that.

Oh don't like my thoughts on it? Okay, let's compare it to a game that's been out a while, Spore... no more updates, no more custom content, nothing. The support you get on it exists overseas and doesn't speak your native tongue, oh and their solution is always that your Operating system is corrupt and that you need to wipe your HDD and reinstall everything... because that will make you say "Eff this" and stop asking. Not a good example? Okay, Look back at your older games. Don't have any? Do a search online. How many are still supported? How many have regular updates. Slim to nil chance you'll find one that's 10-20 years old that will have any support what so ever. but you know what's still there? The base game. What you paid for originally. Be glad it's working.

Who am I to speak? A modder. That guy you call when your computer breaks in order to get it fixed too. That's my 9-5 job. I paid my money for the base game, and I gladly volunteer to beta test for an update that Bestheda didn't have to put out. I gladly volunteer to make things that you can enjoy in your game, in your little world. When I'm not doing that, I'm that guy making a youtube video to try and entertain you. I'm that guy writing a book that you may pick up. I'm that guy out there trying to make your miserable little existence a little less miserable.

Why say all this?

Because I can't stand people like you... who buy a game or pay for a product, and think you're entitled to the world.

HILARIOUS- the ONLY people likely to care about 'survival mode' are those that have modded the game in a desperate attempt to place some RPG elements back into it. The vanilla game needs a 'survival mode' like I need a hole in the head.

But here we see the arrogance of Bethesda- who are effectively telling gamers that updates to Fallout 4 will be so intrusive that they will 'break' mods over and over and over again- making modding pointless for gamers who allow the game to apply updates automatically.

The problem is the appalling state that Fallout 4 was released in. Take the user crafted lighting bug, for instance, where the use of Havok to control the behaviour of lights is utterly broken. Or the 'emittance' problem where user crafted lights usually produce deficient brightness because of blending bugs in the game. Neither of these bugs have been fixed, and neither are acceptable in a AAA title that has sold over one billion dollars, but does Beth care?

Mods to 'fix' these bugs have to do some pretty nasty hacking- but I, for one, would NOT play without such mods.

Beth should have released the GECK at the same time as the game, and allowed the community to fix all the major bugs across the first few months. Then Beth should have looked at those bug fix mods, and incorporated the same solution in a major update, bringing the game codebase up to an acceptable base level. Only then should Beth have begun releasing their DLC and new gameplay modes.

Sadly, Beth has a highly cynical attitude to Fallout 4, which was long ago relegated to a much lesser IP position when compared to the Elder Scrolls IP. Put simply, Beth did not take Fallout 4 seriously, and it has been thrown out as a game very much aimed at the dumbed down console market. Serious modding for FO4 may have to wait for the GOTY edition, and Beth giving up on further mod breaking updates.