Male or Female PC? How come?

Kanori24

I think I'm too instilled into the console mentality of 'beating the game' to worry about what my character looks like. Honestly I spend about 5 minutes with sliders and what not and then click 'OK'. I care about the meat of a game so I guess that makes me a minority as far as character cosmetics go.

For Bethesda games I always use mesh and texture replacers for both sexes since the stock ones are so bad. But for other games I don't install anything. For example, TW3 doesn't need mods at all to make the characters look good. Geralt is rugged/ugly/manly/handsome and Triss (my CGI girlfriend) is beautiful by default. No need to 'fix' anything. I don't have GTA or DOA modded either. But to be honest I do have Sims4 modded to make the Sims naked/better looking. The normal maps are terrible and I had to bake the meshes. Couldn't stop myself. :confused:

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously don't get males playing as females, especially in games where you can immerse with you character, but to each their own I guess...

I have a friend who feels the same way as you do, but speaking for myself, playing (or rather running) female characters is not so much about immersion as "having the full package" when it comes to RPG video gaming.

For example; I like FO4 cuz I like monsters, mutants, robots, exploration, action & adventure and Hot Chicks with Big Guns (both kinds...) so running a female character gives me everything I want during play. Female companions? Great - that means even more Hot Chicks with Big Guns!

My settlements tend be dominated by Hot Chicks and Robots, with males being in the miniority (how's that for social engineering).

When I play my games, I want everything I like... and I like science fiction, fantasy, horror and Hot Chicks.

I have a similar thing in New Vegas, this is my lore friendly and gender balanced gang...

http://i.imgur.com/vsdUazM.jpg

That hurt my feelings way too much... I mean that's the radioactive wasteland out there, with evil cannibalistic raiders running around... and deathclaws, and lots of other stuff =/

Also these games are (sadly) written with a male played by male main character in mind, and playing as a female feels "out of place" sometimes.

Love that argument, totally angreed and guess what, whose fault you think is that?

i don' understand why males playing as females is a big deal. Some guys play it for "teh beewbs". So?

Breaking news, guys like bewbs.

Not entirely true, it gets old real fast, usually the older you are, the more interested you get in real stuff and less interested in pixelated, to the point it gets completely unrelated. Can't speak for all, but mostly that's the case, you won't get far on pure "aesthetics" if gameplay doesn't deliver or you cannot immerse yourself and feel for the character, gets boring... Like the movie or book I guess, cover can't win you over if contets are stale.

I seriously don't get males playing as females, especially in games where you can immerse with you character, but to each their own I guess...

I have a friend who feels the same way as you do, but speaking for myself, playing (or rather running) female characters is not so much about immersion as "having the full package" when it comes to RPG video gaming.

For example; I like FO4 cuz I like monsters, mutants, robots, exploration, action & adventure and Hot Chicks with Big Guns (both kinds...) so running a female character gives me everything I want during play. Female companions? Great - that means even more Hot Chicks with Big Guns!

My settlements tend be dominated by Hot Chicks and Robots, with males being in the miniority (how's that for social engineering).

When I play my games, I want everything I like... and I like science fiction, fantasy, horror and Hot Chicks.

I have a similar thing in New Vegas, this is my lore friendly and gender balanced gang...

http://i.imgur.com/vsdUazM.jpg

That hurt my feelings way too much... I mean that's the radioactive wasteland out there, with evil cannibalistic raiders running around... and deathclaws, and lots of other stuff =/

Also these games are (sadly) written with a male played by male main character in mind, and playing as a female feels "out of place" sometimes.

Love that argument, totally angreed and guess what, whose fault you think is that?

i don' understand why males playing as females is a big deal. Some guys play it for "teh beewbs". So?

Breaking news, guys like bewbs.

Not entirely true, it gets old real fast, usually the older you are, the more interested you get in real stuff and less interested in pixelated, to the point it gets completely unrelated. Can't speak for all, but mostly that's the case, you won't get far on pure "aesthetics" if gameplay doesn't deliver or you cannot immerse yourself and feel for the character, gets boring... Like the movie or book I guess, cover can't win you over if contets are stale.

I didn't say it was anyones fault. But if i have to blame anyone, it is business. Most peolple who play a lot of games and spend a tons of money on them, are young males, so they are the main audience. It backfires though because it alienates a lot of possible female players, but gaming business is like hollywood, they are too afraid to try new things and losing buyers because of that (i think they wouldn't but that is another topic). It is kinda annoying when i play a game and they show female bottoms and boobies into my face every 10 seconds, it makes me feel like i dont belong there. However, in Skyrim f.e. there is no skimpiness (by default), and the gameplay is basically the same for both genders, still feels like it fits for a male better.

However, it is a different topic, and i don't even mind this issue so much, just listed it as a small reason why i prefer males in an rpg.

Also i was only talking about guys who pick female characters in an otherwise enjoyable rpg not only for role playing but also aesthetical reasons. If over-glorified skimpiness and shiny barbiedolls result in a shallow and boring gameplay, that is very-very sad. There is difference between enjoying the looks of a nice body while playing an intereting and immersive adventure, and drooling over sexualized pixel babes while there is basically nothing else to do. So imho there is nothing wrong with a character being sexy, but when there is nothing else you can tell about that character, that is a bit pathetic.

I never make my males to look the tipical "sexy" either (as i said no square-jawed hulks), but i love to create them to look unique and interesting. Always play as a grumpy ugly dark elf male in elder scrolls since morrowind (i even made my own race mod for oblivion to make him look "correct" with scar tattos wrikles grey skin and proper eyes etc.), my fallout nv guy has facial scars and one blind eye, so i cleary dont go for '"hot".

(However, i like to play dress-up with my males, i am stiil a girl :smile: )

Well... I must admit that's a large part of what I'm doing too :D.

I lot of the mods I download are clothing and "fem armor"... so, ya know - I can dress up my dolls. My animated dolls... who can then run around, get into adventures and kill and loot stuff.

Ah yes, it's good to be a gamer.

Yeah i am like... 20 armour mods installed and nothing to wear :D (reason i startd to make my own :) )

I didn't say it was anyones fault. But if i have to blame anyone, it is business. Most peolple who play a lot of games and spend a tons of money on them, are young males, so they are the main audience. It backfires though because it alienates a lot of possible female players, but gaming business is like hollywood, they are too afraid to try new things and losing buyers because of that (i think they wouldn't but that is another topic). It is kinda annoying when i play a game and they show female bottoms and boobies into my face every 10 seconds, it makes me feel like i dont belong there. However, in Skyrim f.e. there is no skimpiness (by default), and the gameplay is basically the same for both genders, still feels like it fits for a male better.

That's one way to look at it, but to take another perspective - female audience is generally MUCH less interested in gaming than male one. There may be few reasons which will remain a mystery and probably too individual to break down like that, so I'm not really sure it's all business. If fem audience would show more interest and be more active, industry would respond, no doubt. It may sound a bit biassed, but girls mostly play: SIMS, Mass Effect/Dragon Age, sometimes TES/FO, some MMOs and mobile games mostly, which pretty much forms the main basis, when males didvide in LOTS of different categories, spread out and covering alomost full market demand.

And considering one-eyed wrinkled grumpy males, well, it definitely may be hot for someone, right? :wink:

That's one way to look at it, but to take another perspective - female audience is generally MUCH less interested in gaming than male one. There may be few reasons which will remain a mystery and probably too individual to break down like that, so I'm not really sure it's all business. If fem audience would show more interest and be more active, industry would respond, no doubt. It may sound a bit biassed, but girls mostly play: SIMS, Mass Effect/Dragon Age, sometimes TES/FO, some MMOs and mobile games mostly, which pretty much forms the main basis, when males didvide in LOTS of different categories, spread out and covering alomost full market demand.

And considering one-eyed wrinkled grumpy males, well, it definitely may be hot for someone, right? :wink:

Mass effect for example, yes, a lot of females like it (including me). Still, the first part was clearly not intended for females, just look at the romance options. Two girls for males, one boring poorly written guy and a chick for females. And no one try to make me believe that asari are both male and female and thus acceptable for female players too. They have boobs, dammit. The whole race was made for male fanservice. Im not screaming sexism, it is simply very unfair and makes me feel that i don't belong there. It got a bit better with the other two parts, when they figured out that still a lot of females play the game.

However, i think it is a vicious circle. Games are made for men because females don't play, and they don't play because games are made for men.

And yes, there are genres that females won't be interested in, ever (including me). Like sport games, games about world war and tanks and stuff, and brainless shooters. However, adventure games rpgs and fpses with interesting storyline could have a lot bigger female audience if the creators were more open-minded towards them. Imho.

About my males, when i first uploaded an armor mod for fallout nv with him posig for it, i even apologized by jokingly telling that my armor won't make other users male character ugly. But after some more armor mods it seems that some users are more interested in the character than the actual mod, and i'm like WTF he's supposed to be creepy. He was even called a "cutie" once. :D

I usually play as a female. This became a 'tradition' with me because usually there's no in-game difference between male and female, and because of an 'avatar' in Neverwinter nights for a female halfling, (which has short dark hair and is looking down to the left of the pic while doing something with a lace or piece of string), reminds me a lot of Siouxsie, who's always given me the impression that she's quite prepared to smack you in the gob and would be well capable of doing so.

There ain't no 'skimpiness' involved either, she's always got proper armour and helmet on, though in both NWN's she does still have a 'girly' way of walking.

Edited by seany65