Fallout 4 Creation Kit Beta and an Important Notice to Survival Testers

SirSalami

In response to post #37085455. #37086305, #37089565, #37094070 are all replies on the same post.

Cepherit wrote: Can Survival Beta testers use mods now?
CausticFox98 wrote: Yeah
DavyJ12 wrote: They could always use mods.
Cepherit wrote: No man, esp.-files were disabled by the survival beta patch for clean testing.
Is that still so? I've loaded up Homemaker and several other mods yet there are no changes so it would seem so. Could anyone confirm this, or is it just my settings that are messed up?

No, they haven't been disabled for a while (maybe even since the beta started). The method of activating the plugins changed to one mentioned in the post above and it just took a second for people to pick up on the new way. It took time for word to spread among users and then for NMM to update to handle it. We've been good to go for a while. Just make sure you have the newest NMM from the link above or from the update button and it does plugins fine now. And make sure interface mods are properly updated or you will crash. Edited by KotovChaos

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am confused.

I am not on the Survival Beta. I am not on the 1.5 Beta. I manually install all of my mods. I don't plan to use the GECK myself, because modding is beyond me as I can't into scripts, textures or modelling.

Do I need to update my plugins.txt by adding asterisks and removing the vanilla .esm files, too?

Does it matter?

In response to post #37090155. #37090490, #37091030, #37091305, #37092990, #37093400, #37093605 are all replies on the same post.

Travis999 wrote: To all the Bethsoft fanboys...

Regarding the lore, if you're sooo knowledgeable, i suppose you've also played falout 1, 2, Tactics, 3 and the PnP game? You own original artbooks from the series? You know what Van Buren was supposed to be? Bottom line is they broke the continuity so badly that there isn't even any meaningful reference to lore from the other games, hence broken lore (no lore).

As for the GECK (yeah i'm still gonna call it that till the day i die, this is fallout not the bible), don't be surprised when suddenly you have to pay a monthly subscription to Bethesda to keep your game up to date.
ErosLogos wrote: Then write an article. I've been putting one off myself. Just for the record; I have in no way been defending Bethesda as such. If you look through my posts carefully, I have been pretty backhanded; in the end, I do agree they are scummy as a company, but what I am criticizing is people's expectations that a profit making company can behave in any other way.

I do, however, praise it's creative staff and largely stick up for their programmers; they're both doing as well as can be expected laboring under Bethesda's management, who have goals that inherently conflict with theirs.

I also call it the GECK, and think "Creation Kit" is stupid. But whatever.

I'll also be tackling a number of myths about New Vegas, such as the vaunted player freedom aspect. Bottom line? You didn't have as much freedom as you thought you did in New Vegas.
Oddball_E8 wrote: Hell, they pretty much broke the lore between 1 and 2...

But yeah, I wasn't fond of the pretty massive lore breaking that was going on in 3... but it's not like it was the first game to dump on the lore.
ErosLogos wrote: @Oddball_E8

Yeah, Black Isle Studios broke the lore in their own games. But maybe none of the lore is broken that badly; maybe it would make more sense for people to stop treating lore as unalterable holy writ. That it is mostly important to stick to the spirit of the lore as opposed to their word.
eros555 wrote: You need to stop butthurting kid.
baneburst wrote: I agree with that f4 f*#@ up the lore pretty bad but you cant pretend like interplay didnt f*#@ the lore just as bad after f2. fallout tactics had deathclaws with fur, BoS with enclave power armor and cars... Freakin cars, it was at least believable in f2 with fusion cell conversion thing but tactics literally threw working cars without any logic behind it.

Tbh bethesda did alot less worse than i thought they would by not introducing anything too radical, they didnt mention or deny any of the previous games, and in general they played it safe concerning the core themes of the series. I even like how they made the game look more 50's ish retro future than f3 or NV did. With all that said the flaws story/lore can forgiven and salvaged the true sin of bethesda is the striping of the RPG elements of the game, the forced narrative, lame radiant quest, dull characters, handicapped ai, and much more all waiting for the modders to pick up slack of the developers yet again. I consider the open beta of the creation kit the true release of fallout 4 and wish the best for the mod community.
Travis999 wrote: In terms of my major gripes,

+the stealthboy is a sphere, not a lunchbox,
+the assault rifle is the assault rifle not... whatever that is,
+changing ammo types is normal and shouldn't need a mod to do,
+a fireaxe or crowbar are standard wasteland hardware, again shouldn't have to get a mod for either,
+Survival mode worked just fine in New Vegas and should have been included from the very beginning,

Lastly, Fallout has always been and will always be primarily played by PC gamers, destroying a worthwhile concept in favour of increased sales and distribution is mistake.
If Fallout was meant to function and be modded on consoles, it would/should have been programmed using consoles.

Other than that, the game itself is rather buggy, but overall quite promising and not without creative merit.

That Assault Rifle? F4's actually looks like some of the WW1 era machine guns, like the Lewis or the Maxim. That's why the big, weird looking barrel shroud. Technically should be a Light Machine Gun, rather than an Assault Rifle. Combat Rifle is what should be the Assault Rifle.

I have played 1,2,3 and Tactics. Don't own but have seen the art books. I do know what Van Buren was meant to be.

That said, while these might not have been the Fallouts we wanted, I'm glad to still be getting new Fallouts at all.

In response to post #37095705.

tygerchylde wrote: I am confused.

I am not on the Survival Beta. I am not on the 1.5 Beta. I manually install all of my mods. I don't plan to use the GECK myself, because modding is beyond me as I can't into scripts, textures or modelling.

Do I need to update my plugins.txt by adding asterisks and removing the vanilla .esm files, too?
Does it matter?

No, both versions are beta updates. As soon as the first official update drops, unless you disable updates, you will have to add asterisks into your plugins file unless they abandon that change.

In response to post #37095705. #37096075 is also a reply to the same post.

tygerchylde wrote: I am confused.

Does it matter?
miscdude wrote: No, both versions are beta updates. As soon as the first official update drops, unless you disable updates, you will have to add asterisks into your plugins file unless they abandon that change.

So, would it make a difference if I did it now?
I guess so since the plugin handler hasn't changed yet.

Thanks for the reply!

*Help* I can run fallout 4 and do the usual business on the main menu but as soon as I load or create a a save It just cuts out and kicks me off. I have disabled all my mods on the Nexus MM and re-ticked the DLC files obviously all I have done is use the mod downloader in the main menu and downloaded a couple of mods " Does that work yet?" Please help me? I'm an idiot I know :D Edited by delanrobinson

I'm having an issue with Creation Kit, it's installed fine with the Bethesda.Net launcher, I click play, and it says 'running' for two seconds before going back to 'ready', and the creation kit never opens.

Anyone know the issue?

In response to post #37090155. #37090490, #37091030, #37091305, #37092990, #37093400, #37093605, #37096005 are all replies on the same post.

Travis999 wrote: To all the Bethsoft fanboys...

Regarding the lore, if you're sooo knowledgeable, i suppose you've also played falout 1, 2, Tactics, 3 and the PnP game? You own original artbooks from the series? You know what Van Buren was supposed to be? Bottom line is they broke the continuity so badly that there isn't even any meaningful reference to lore from the other games, hence broken lore (no lore).

As for the GECK (yeah i'm still gonna call it that till the day i die, this is fallout not the bible), don't be surprised when suddenly you have to pay a monthly subscription to Bethesda to keep your game up to date.
ErosLogos wrote: Then write an article. I've been putting one off myself. Just for the record; I have in no way been defending Bethesda as such. If you look through my posts carefully, I have been pretty backhanded; in the end, I do agree they are scummy as a company, but what I am criticizing is people's expectations that a profit making company can behave in any other way.

I do, however, praise it's creative staff and largely stick up for their programmers; they're both doing as well as can be expected laboring under Bethesda's management, who have goals that inherently conflict with theirs.

I also call it the GECK, and think "Creation Kit" is stupid. But whatever.

I'll also be tackling a number of myths about New Vegas, such as the vaunted player freedom aspect. Bottom line? You didn't have as much freedom as you thought you did in New Vegas.
Oddball_E8 wrote: Hell, they pretty much broke the lore between 1 and 2...

But yeah, I wasn't fond of the pretty massive lore breaking that was going on in 3... but it's not like it was the first game to dump on the lore.
ErosLogos wrote: @Oddball_E8

Yeah, Black Isle Studios broke the lore in their own games. But maybe none of the lore is broken that badly; maybe it would make more sense for people to stop treating lore as unalterable holy writ. That it is mostly important to stick to the spirit of the lore as opposed to their word.
eros555 wrote: You need to stop butthurting kid.
baneburst wrote: I agree with that f4 f*#@ up the lore pretty bad but you cant pretend like interplay didnt f*#@ the lore just as bad after f2. fallout tactics had deathclaws with fur, BoS with enclave power armor and cars... Freakin cars, it was at least believable in f2 with fusion cell conversion thing but tactics literally threw working cars without any logic behind it.

Tbh bethesda did alot less worse than i thought they would by not introducing anything too radical, they didnt mention or deny any of the previous games, and in general they played it safe concerning the core themes of the series. I even like how they made the game look more 50's ish retro future than f3 or NV did. With all that said the flaws story/lore can forgiven and salvaged the true sin of bethesda is the striping of the RPG elements of the game, the forced narrative, lame radiant quest, dull characters, handicapped ai, and much more all waiting for the modders to pick up slack of the developers yet again. I consider the open beta of the creation kit the true release of fallout 4 and wish the best for the mod community.
Travis999 wrote: In terms of my major gripes,

+the stealthboy is a sphere, not a lunchbox,
+the assault rifle is the assault rifle not... whatever that is,
+changing ammo types is normal and shouldn't need a mod to do,
+a fireaxe or crowbar are standard wasteland hardware, again shouldn't have to get a mod for either,
+Survival mode worked just fine in New Vegas and should have been included from the very beginning,

Lastly, Fallout has always been and will always be primarily played by PC gamers, destroying a worthwhile concept in favour of increased sales and distribution is mistake.
If Fallout was meant to function and be modded on consoles, it would/should have been programmed using consoles.

Other than that, the game itself is rather buggy, but overall quite promising and not without creative merit.
Triaxx2 wrote: That Assault Rifle? F4's actually looks like some of the WW1 era machine guns, like the Lewis or the Maxim. That's why the big, weird looking barrel shroud. Technically should be a Light Machine Gun, rather than an Assault Rifle. Combat Rifle is what should be the Assault Rifle.

I have played 1,2,3 and Tactics. Don't own but have seen the art books. I do know what Van Buren was meant to be.

That said, while these might not have been the Fallouts we wanted, I'm glad to still be getting new Fallouts at all.

You could always call it FOCK...

In response to post #37085455. #37086305, #37089565, #37094070, #37094425 are all replies on the same post.

Cepherit wrote: Can Survival Beta testers use mods now?
CausticFox98 wrote: Yeah
DavyJ12 wrote: They could always use mods.
Cepherit wrote: No man, esp.-files were disabled by the survival beta patch for clean testing.
Is that still so? I've loaded up Homemaker and several other mods yet there are no changes so it would seem so. Could anyone confirm this, or is it just my settings that are messed up?

KotovChaos wrote: No, they haven't been disabled for a while (maybe even since the beta started). The method of activating the plugins changed to one mentioned in the post above and it just took a second for people to pick up on the new way. It took time for word to spread among users and then for NMM to update to handle it. We've been good to go for a while. Just make sure you have the newest NMM from the link above or from the update button and it does plugins fine now. And make sure interface mods are properly updated or you will crash.

Thanks mate!

In response to post #37097840.

delanrobinson wrote: *Help* I can run fallout 4 and do the usual business on the main menu but as soon as I load or create a a save It just cuts out and kicks me off. I have disabled all my mods on the Nexus MM and re-ticked the DLC files obviously all I have done is use the mod downloader in the main menu and downloaded a couple of mods " Does that work yet?" Please help me? I'm an idiot I know :D

I coudlnt load a saved game or start a new one. so i deleted the ini files in my documents\my games\fallout 4. ran the games launcher so it would detect settings etc and therefore create new inis and then loaded up the game and now it all works. has to do this last time i updated