Fallout 4 Creation Kit Beta and an Important Notice to Survival Testers

SirSalami

In response to post #37064095. #37064415, #37065340, #37065605, #37065985, #37075475, #37076185, #37077320, #37077780, #37080260, #37087740 are all replies on the same post.

jpsimonetti wrote: Experiment in imagination - Picture those sales numbers from last year if Bethesda admitted to the world the Creation Kit wouldn't be available until May of 2016. That was a whole lot of dirty sales tactics to not admit the lifeblood of all Bethesda games - modding - would be stifled for 6 months, twice as long as even New Vegas (which was worth waiting for).
Sevaanos wrote: I remember them saying that the CK wouldn't be out till Spring of 2016, and guess what, its spring of 2016. So I say they were pretty on point.
jpsimonetti wrote: "The Fallout 4 Creation Kit, the software tool that allows PC modders to go wild, is set to arrive at the beginning of 2016."

Repeat in every news article from September 2015 through January of 2016.

In February, it was announced that the CK was being released in April, starting with the PC, then moving to consoles.

Pretty sure Fallout 4 had been out for 3 months by then. They let us believe it would be around in January - until January actually arrived. That is an underhanded sales tactic. They know how the modding community makes their games what they are. They basically promised their game would get better in 3 months after release. Aaaand nope.
Samurok wrote: actually no, only some people believed it was coming in january based on the "begining of 2016" part. well its april, the 4th month of the year...so yeah, still the begining. think about it for a sec
ErosLogos wrote: Please don't get a swollen head.

I played the game three times before I got into modding, so I thought Fallout 4 was pretty much the greatest game I ever played then. I like mods, but I hate how so many users and modders have these enormous egos, thinking themselves as the reason why any Bethesda game is good. Guess what?

The game was pretty much fun without mods.

I get mods to make the game more fun to play. Not to fix a broken game.

As for dirty sales techniques? No such thing as a dirty sales technique; capitalism is an inherently underhanded and dishonest system. As long as it isn't explicitly illegal, anything goes. It's the name of the game. But I'd say it was technically on point; it arrived at the end of April, juusstt within the early 2016 window.

By the way, New Vegas was made by Obsidian; Bethesda had nothing to do with it. And while I liked New Vegas, and think it was this great game, I don't get how everyone is suddenly dickriding it. I remember when it wasn't all that popular to say that you liked it.
Taiolu wrote: Because new vegas followed lore the best it can. Where as bethesda stopped being able to do lore well ever since oblivion.
Sytron wrote: It was originally said it would be released in the "First Quarter" of 2016. Which is a 3 month time frame, this is already into the second quarter and not near the beginning either. So the OP has a valid point about time frames.
Aikospacerogue wrote: Why, why do those months mater if they'd bought it anyway its not like the game had any kind of sale, if anything the'd be lucky they picked up the Season pass early before the price went up. Does it make any difference ? It sure doesn't to your wallet.

No to mention the Dev's are really really busy with several IP's ,this devkit, AND making it so mods can go on concoles, this isn't a small feat you know, I'm sure they didn't enjoy delaying, its not something anyone enjoys at all. the Devs like mods too, or they wouldn't be doing this.
cjqnsnyc wrote: It's here NOW, so enjoy it.

They didn't HAVE to give us ANYTHING you know. Not to mention the fact that it's FREE.

Again, it's here now. Just think of all the great mods that will come instead of going on the offensive against one of the few companies that support pc modding, okay?
vlaka wrote: ugh just way too many fanboys justifying Bethesda's scummy tactics.
>.<

Wonder how they're going to justify paid mods.
ErosLogos wrote: I think Fallout 4 followed the lore just fine. And I've played Fallout New Vegas.

[sarcasm]Yes, and of course it has nothing to do with a possibility that things got more complicated both on Creation Kit and Bethesda.net sites, so that that the mod support and CK had to be postponed untill it actually worked at least as beta...[sarcasm/]

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #37081040.

jackmarshal wrote: Read about "mods disabling achievements". is it still the case here?

Edit: Ingame mod menu stated "section 2.D mod disable Achievements/Trophies". Is that temporary? Did Bethesda make the same approach with any of their previous games?

They didn't have to - there were no mods for consoles. Yes, I know that Steam has achievements too, but on PC, you can avoid any such restriction anyway. That's not the case with consoles, so any restriction on achievements actually has impact.

maybe i am just biased cause i've been using the nexus for years but i think bethesda.net sucks

I'll stick with the nexus forever....

Also why do i need to download a stupid launcher to access the GECK? Why can't i just download it through steam? WHY must they put additional DRM on their games? Is bethesda planning to pull a uplay stunt and force us to use it's stupid launcher to play our games?

In response to post #37064095. #37064415, #37065340, #37065605, #37065985, #37075475, #37076185, #37077320, #37077780, #37080260, #37087740, #37088035 are all replies on the same post.

jpsimonetti wrote: Experiment in imagination - Picture those sales numbers from last year if Bethesda admitted to the world the Creation Kit wouldn't be available until May of 2016. That was a whole lot of dirty sales tactics to not admit the lifeblood of all Bethesda games - modding - would be stifled for 6 months, twice as long as even New Vegas (which was worth waiting for).
Sevaanos wrote: I remember them saying that the CK wouldn't be out till Spring of 2016, and guess what, its spring of 2016. So I say they were pretty on point.
jpsimonetti wrote: "The Fallout 4 Creation Kit, the software tool that allows PC modders to go wild, is set to arrive at the beginning of 2016."

Repeat in every news article from September 2015 through January of 2016.

In February, it was announced that the CK was being released in April, starting with the PC, then moving to consoles.

Pretty sure Fallout 4 had been out for 3 months by then. They let us believe it would be around in January - until January actually arrived. That is an underhanded sales tactic. They know how the modding community makes their games what they are. They basically promised their game would get better in 3 months after release. Aaaand nope.
Samurok wrote: actually no, only some people believed it was coming in january based on the "begining of 2016" part. well its april, the 4th month of the year...so yeah, still the begining. think about it for a sec
ErosLogos wrote: Please don't get a swollen head.

I played the game three times before I got into modding, so I thought Fallout 4 was pretty much the greatest game I ever played then. I like mods, but I hate how so many users and modders have these enormous egos, thinking themselves as the reason why any Bethesda game is good. Guess what?

The game was pretty much fun without mods.

I get mods to make the game more fun to play. Not to fix a broken game.

As for dirty sales techniques? No such thing as a dirty sales technique; capitalism is an inherently underhanded and dishonest system. As long as it isn't explicitly illegal, anything goes. It's the name of the game. But I'd say it was technically on point; it arrived at the end of April, juusstt within the early 2016 window.

By the way, New Vegas was made by Obsidian; Bethesda had nothing to do with it. And while I liked New Vegas, and think it was this great game, I don't get how everyone is suddenly dickriding it. I remember when it wasn't all that popular to say that you liked it.
Taiolu wrote: Because new vegas followed lore the best it can. Where as bethesda stopped being able to do lore well ever since oblivion.
Sytron wrote: It was originally said it would be released in the "First Quarter" of 2016. Which is a 3 month time frame, this is already into the second quarter and not near the beginning either. So the OP has a valid point about time frames.
Aikospacerogue wrote: Why, why do those months mater if they'd bought it anyway its not like the game had any kind of sale, if anything the'd be lucky they picked up the Season pass early before the price went up. Does it make any difference ? It sure doesn't to your wallet.

No to mention the Dev's are really really busy with several IP's ,this devkit, AND making it so mods can go on concoles, this isn't a small feat you know, I'm sure they didn't enjoy delaying, its not something anyone enjoys at all. the Devs like mods too, or they wouldn't be doing this.
cjqnsnyc wrote: It's here NOW, so enjoy it.

They didn't HAVE to give us ANYTHING you know. Not to mention the fact that it's FREE.

Again, it's here now. Just think of all the great mods that will come instead of going on the offensive against one of the few companies that support pc modding, okay?
vlaka wrote: ugh just way too many fanboys justifying Bethesda's scummy tactics.
>.<

Wonder how they're going to justify paid mods.
ErosLogos wrote: I think Fallout 4 followed the lore just fine. And I've played Fallout New Vegas.
J.O.D. wrote: [sarcasm]Yes, and of course it has nothing to do with a possibility that things got more complicated both on Creation Kit and Bethesda.net sites, so that that the mod support and CK had to be postponed untill it actually worked at least as beta...[sarcasm/]

Wow such an un-original insult, Fanboy. You do realize they dont have to allow us to mod the game. They dont have release the content creator for free.

In response to post #37088665.

AngryGamer94 wrote: maybe i am just biased cause i've been using the nexus for years but i think bethesda.net sucks
Also why do i need to download a stupid launcher to access the GECK? Why can't i just download it through steam? WHY must they put additional DRM on their games? Is bethesda planning to pull a uplay stunt and force us to use it's stupid launcher to play our games?

Maybe that way the can keep the content creator up to date easier then each of us manually downloading it over and over. That way they can add more content files in an easier delivery system

In response to post #37088665. #37088895 is also a reply to the same post.

AngryGamer94 wrote: maybe i am just biased cause i've been using the nexus for years but i think bethesda.net sucks
jake1976 wrote: Maybe that way the can keep the content creator up to date easier then each of us manually downloading it over and over. That way they can add more content files in an easier delivery system

Bethesda.net isn't that bad. Modding is done directly within the game. And this time, they understood, no automatic updates. It's nothing like the Steam Workshop for Skyrim, which is atrocious. It also works in conjunction with the NMM without any issues (so far for me).

Also, it isn't DRM, AFAIK there is no DRM copy protection on the Creation Kit (the launcher simply controls updates, you can launch directly from the CK), it's because Creation Kit mods are now pushable to consoles, therefore it wouldn't make much sense to host it on Steam, a PC gaming platform. It's probably much easier for them to deliver version updates through there new launcher.

In response to post #37088665. #37088895, #37089720 are all replies on the same post.

jake1976 wrote: Maybe that way the can keep the content creator up to date easier then each of us manually downloading it over and over. That way they can add more content files in an easier delivery system
CoffeeAddictUK wrote: Bethesda.net isn't that bad. Modding is done directly within the game. And this time, they understood, no automatic updates. It's nothing like the Steam Workshop for Skyrim, which is atrocious. It also works in conjunction with the NMM without any issues (so far for me).

Also, it isn't DRM, AFAIK there is no DRM copy protection on the Creation Kit (the launcher simply controls updates, you can launch directly from the CK), it's because Creation Kit mods are now pushable to consoles, therefore it wouldn't make much sense to host it on Steam, a PC gaming platform. It's probably much easier for them to deliver version updates through there new launcher.

They said it can be solely run the CK 2.0(Creation Kit For FO4) in future updates, but not right now...I guess they want users to test both CK and bethesda.net.

To all the Bethsoft fanboys...

Regarding the lore, if you're sooo knowledgeable, i suppose you've also played falout 1, 2, Tactics, 3 and the PnP game? You own original artbooks from the series? You know what Van Buren was supposed to be? Bottom line is they broke the continuity so badly that there isn't even any meaningful reference to lore from the other games, hence broken lore (no lore).

As for the GECK (yeah i'm still gonna call it that till the day i die, this is fallout not the bible), don't be surprised when suddenly you have to pay a monthly subscription to Bethesda to keep your game up to date.