Fallout 4 currently suited for a total conversion project?

You have a name for it now: "Loremageddon" :P

Loremageddon needs to be a thing now. We can do Post Apocalyptic Lord of the Rings long after the age of middle earth, where Goblins, Hobbits, and Orcs once had day jobs in mega cities, but the industrial age of Sauron ignited a war over the realms of men that went nuclear. Now we fight for Gondor, with machine guns against Atomic Dragons.

Edited by Thaiauxn

And here is a dragon for Loremageddon

http://www.awesomeinventions.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/recycled-watch-parts-steampunk-sculptures-dragon.jpg

Thanks for all the replies,

the reason why I asked is because Im somewhat familiar with FO4/TESV modding, and since it is the largest modding community around, alot of talented people, know how and ressources are available, while when working on a plattform like UE4 I wont have that to that extend. So to speak I rather considered using FO4 for its community and what will come of it rather than for the engine or the game itself.

The various arguments against clearly outweigh the benefits, Im afraid my knowledge is somewhat limited on these matters. As for using TESV, I simply consider it too outdated. And no I dont want to mix TES and FO, although this is a tempting idea, I do want to make a Witcher lore based adaption ;)

If you just need a modern engine, just go with UE4 or Cryengine 5 (which is now totally for free/ 0 royalty). You'll have to create an entirely new resource set, meshes, animations, assets, and imo for the cost, it's not worth it to have to adapt F4 into a medieval game. Besides, you can't monetize on the Bethesda engine, which is a major detriment.

And, Beth will not allow assets from one game to be used in another for legal reasons. So every Skyrim asset would have to be rebuilt from scratch. Adding a couple of years to your development time.

Legal reason is Beth does not own the copyright to all of the assets. They licensed some assets from other companies and that licence does not allow the assets to be used outside of that game. Or Beth could be sued for it. Using the asset for mods for the same game is not using it outside of that game. Using it in another Beth game is.

There has been one successful total conversion of a Beth game that I know of. That was Nehrim for Oblivion. It took a team of dedicated professional programmers over 3 years to make. It is not a mod, it is a separate game using the Oblivion engine and requiring Oblivion to be installed for many of it's assets.

I think there was another successful conversion project for two of Bethesda's games but I just can't recall for the life of me what it was.

Maybe Tale of Two Wastelands? Not sure, though, I have never been much into Fallout (before the 4th one), and that was the first one that came to mind. :tongue:

Edit: Umm... am I missing something? You wouldn't happen to be part of the team behind it... ? Judging by that comment by Ethreon... ? (not that it would be any surprise, I am relatively new here and always generally a bit not so well informed of everything, also in real life...) :psyduck:

Edited by Contrathetix

I think there was another successful conversion project for two of Bethesda's games but I just can't recall for the life of me what it was.

Cheeky.