I cannot do the Beth FO4 forums

bigcrazewolf

I will not use the Bethesda Fallout 4 forums since they are s#*!. I know I'm not the only one, but holy cow could they have done a crappier job with them. Sorry to vent but I really hate them and Beth for the s#*! change!

They're beyond horrible. We gave feedback, complained, suggested changes, and whined since they first went live and nothing's changed. I'm of the opinion they did it on purpose to destroy the established community. It worked as so many of the old names are no longer there.

Why do they suck? Can anyone provide me a concise bullet-proof list (or link to where there is one?).

I find this sort of stuff interesting. Not least, because we'd like to get off Invision Board and make our own forums at some point. And we obviously don't want to fall in to the same trap!

Why do they suck? Can anyone provide me a concise bullet-proof list (or link to where there is one?).

I find this sort of stuff interesting. Not least, because we'd like to get off Invision Board and make our own forums at some point. And we obviously don't want to fall in to the same trap!

I'll write up a better list when I'm at my computer, but for me the problems are:

Search functionality is terrible (can't search a particular forum, have to basically search everywhere).

Can't navigate to the end of a thread easily (have to click page 3, then page 6, etc).

Quoting other posts is hard (have to copy + paste and there isn't a dedicated quote tag / function that I could find).

The overall layout is atrocious (multiple rows, which make pages longer / post text is crunched).

Have to click log in pretty much every single time (though it will usually remember if I am actually logged in and I won't have to fill in my password).

On mobile, each thread has the first post text under it, so you have to scroll a lot to find the thread you want.

On mobile, the nested forums are displayed at the bottom of the page (And the forum will "load" more posts / threads, meaning you scroll down, page loads 20 more threads, and you have to scroll down again).

The text editor (wysiwyg) is pretty bad (no BBcode, basic html) and there is no documentation anywhere that I could find.

Giant images in place of simple text links to subforums.

Some of these problems are likely due to the new system (still no documentation that I found) but overall the design just seems stilted and overly flashy - it doesn't make posting or reading a thread easy, which is the entire point of forum software.

Edited by Reneer

This is the feedback thread, there some useful info if you can wade through the usual "Best thing evar!!!11!" nonsense from the fanboys. https://community.bethesda.net/thread/2152?start=0&tstart=0

It's also blindingly bright, even the dark theme is very bright and flashes to white while loading a page.

Avatars are so small they're useless, as is the font size for each poster's name. Here, skimming down the page, I can easily pick out users I'm interested in what they have to say. There, everything runs together in one nameless blob.

The private messaging system is awful. You can't even make seperate paragraphs so anything over a couple sentences is painful.

Anytime you post in a thread, you're auto signed up to follow it meaning scores of notifications and emails about it. I never found a way to delete old notifications from my inbox while I was still there.

You're also forced to reply directly to either the Original post or the post directly above you which then of course leads to countless useless notifications. My biggest pet peeve is if there's a 20 page thread you can't easily jump to page 17 or 20 you have to manually go through nearly every page.