Prices...

LeopoldCrank

Why is the PC version at EB games $88 whilst the console versions are both $108? I don't see the difference, particularly why the difference is as large as $20, when the graphics on the PC version are far better, mod capability exists (so it actually comes with extra stuff technically) etc.

As far as I know, when selling a game made for a console you need to pay the company that created it (in this case Sony/Microsoft) a fee - they don't make money on consoles themselves, but from the games sold.

On PC there is no such thing, so the price can be lower.

Why is the PC version at EB games $88 whilst the console versions are both $108? I don't see the difference, particularly why the difference is as large as $20, when the graphics on the PC version are far better, mod capability exists (so it actually comes with extra stuff technically) etc.

88$ and 108$? What country is that?

In portugal we pay 50 euros for pc games and 70 and sometimes 80 euros for console games wich is fine by me I own both ps3 and pc but I play pc more often so glad it´s cheaper for pc.

88$ and 108$? What country is that?

Australia. But it is a big special edition bundle made by EB Games, that comes with a steel book, a hardcover journal, art cards and the burlap map.

As far as I know, when selling a game made for a console you need to pay the company that created it (in this case Sony/Microsoft) a fee - they don't make money on consoles themselves, but from the games sold.

On PC there is no such thing, so the price can be lower.

Price fixing is part of the contract with the console manufacturers. I even imagine that Sony and M$ basically price fix the market. Unless you believe the arbitrary 60$ price tag is a coincidence and neither company could compete in a price war, I mean they have contracts with the publishers after all, so it suggests it's been worked out to that effect. Somehow it evades trading standards scrutiny, it appears on the surface a textbook case. :unsure: conspiracy theory?

Similar thing when both companies agreeing to extend the life of the consoles a couple years back, allowing both companies, to milk this iteration. It's mutually beneficial for developers as well. So that I don't mind so much.

Publishers don't actually have free rein on the consoles as far as setting price goes.

Edited by Ghogiel

oblivoo wrote

probably becaus it is simpler to make a pc version and becaus it was intentionali first ment for xbox and then for pc and etc.

How simpler? Creating a game for PC is much more complex, too many machines differences to take into account. Actually the reasons aren't due to technical issues but mainly marketing reasons.

I mean only to dissipate a mistaken supposition, nothing personal since the original left clear was a supposition and not a statement anyway :)

PS: Due to the flexibility and resources, PC games allow for more complex UI and general interaction with the game's world (while almost always that UI is simplified to fit controllers limitations) and that is the main reason for all the moaning about porting games designed with console in mind directly to PC (this time is mine the supposition but, again, not giving an "appropriate" UI to the PC version is because marketing reasons).

Edited by nosisab

oblivoo wrote

probably becaus it is simpler to make a pc version and becaus it was intentionali first ment for xbox and then for pc and etc.

How simpler? Creating a game for PC is much more complex, too many machines differences to take into account. Actually the reasons aren't due to technical issues but mainly marketing reasons.

I mean only to dissipate a mistaken supposition, nothing personal since the original left clear was a supposition and not a statement anyway :)

Nope .. Its always far easier to make a game for the PC since you have instant access to you console menus and your working on the device your building the game on .. EVERY game is made for PC then ported to the console .. It might be made to be console friendly but games are not built on consoles. Without a doubt marketing isnt the issue .. only cracks and torrents

Edited by jedimembrain