Gmod Content Policy & Content Index System

Kreisher

Gmod (gmod.com) is rolling out a new tool this week that we call our Content Index System. In essence, it is a automated tool that compiles a massive list of mods from all over the internet and lists those mods on the site. Think of it as a google for mods. If a user finds a mod they want to download, we send them to the site where the mod is hosted. For example, lets say I have a Morrowind mod on Nexus thats adds a new sword called "Soatt". Gmod will list my mod on the site and link back to Nexus for anyone wanting to download the mod. Gmod will also give me (my handle) credit for the mod and auto-create an account for my handle linking to Soatt - which I can gain access too. Gmod has had the auto-creating account system for awhile now, but the index tool is new. Our hope is that this system will provide yet another avenue for people to find great mods - and provide additional exposure to sites like Nexus. We JUST rolled this out for Nexus and we will be rolling out other sites soon (likely later this week). I'd like to get some feedback from the mod community. What do you think?

--EDIT---

This feature was removed in early 2012. I apologize for any frustration we may have caused. We clearly didn’t spend enough time listening to the community to learn what they actually wanted. I also did a poor job explaining how the feature was supposed to work, which amplified an already tense situation.

In short, we messed up and we’re sorry.

---

UPDATE:

Despite intense pressure from the original investors, we never displayed ads on the site or generated any revenue from its activities. Following a failed Kickstarter campaign in 2013, gmod.com was shut down and all associated content deleted. After laying off our entire staff and closing our office, my co-founder and I hunkered down and began work on ModDrop. We’ve been working on it since 2014.

ModDrop’s features are a direct result of our collaboration with the Torchlight and Stardew Valley modding communities. We’ve also brought on advisers with intimate knowledge of both modding and community building.

If you’d like to share your thoughts or have suggestions on how we can improve ModDrop, please visit our discord channel.

- Kreisher

Edited by Kreisher

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds cool, but I'm not sure about the automatic account creation thing. Maybe it's just my paranoid streak.

The auto account creation is just to ensure you get credit for the mod and can access the page later if you want. There is no personal data associated with it - just a user name and where the mod was originally hosted. :D

Sounds cool, but I'm not sure about the automatic account creation thing. Maybe it's just my paranoid streak.

Right... Can you just make my account and ban it right away. Thanks.

By ban do you mean not post info about your mods? If you don't want info about your mod(s) listed on the site we can remove your account np - just let us know. Do you want us to not show your mods Vagrant0?

Can you link the feature? I tried the search but it didn't work.

The system is still in the process of being rolled out. Most of the functionality is on the backend (server side), but we will have more info about it on the site later this week. The search and browse functions of the site are also being modified to help people find content - along with an updated menu / navigation.

Here's an example of a mod that's been indexed:

http://gmod.com/mod/Chinese%20and%20Recon%20Stealth%20Armor%20-%20v1

Notice that clicking "download" opens a redirect page - then sends you to Nexus.

Edited by Kreisher

Yeah that's not going to fly with me. You can't link directly to the download server; it's practically tantamount to bandwidth leeching.

It might be best you actually hold off announcing things until you actually have something to show.

Yeah that's not going to fly with me. You can't link directly to the download server; it's practically tantamount to bandwidth leeching.

It might be best you actually hold off announcing things until you actually have something to show.

It links to the download page (unless Nexus throws a flash ad first). What exactly are you recommending then? We could link them to another page - forcing them to jump through additional clicks to find the download page - but that doesn't seem to make since from a usability standpoint. If the user clicks "Download" they have already determined they are interested in the mod. We aren't trying to "Bandwidth Leech" - Nexus puts up an ad and if the file is too large they have to create an account before they can download it.

We could post to another page - but I don't know that would be as useful for the user. I suppose we could link to the mod page instead. Is that what your suggesting?

Also, you and I both know server costs are crazy low now days. One of your ads pays for many many downloads.

Edited by Kreisher

I care very little for the usability aspects of a site that is not my own. You want to index the Nexus sites, use it to populate your own database and then serve files from my download servers so your users can circumvent the Nexus entirely. Frankly the audacity of you coming here expecting me to be OK with it is both amusing and bemusing to say the least.

No, I do not want you directly linking to the download servers.