Forgiveness for banned modders

djmystro

I can understand the Nexus's policies when it comes to banning authors and thier reasons why and appreciate the effort the moderators put into keeping trolls and flamers from our sites. However even though I feel I have been here a relatively short time I have still seen many great modders come and go, getting banned for a variety of reasons but mostly just becuase they made a mistake.

Mentioning no names I know of one author (who requested to be banned at the time) who had been in a life threatening accident days before which is bound to put a person in an unusual frame of mind. Another author was putting up with posts upon the release of thier mod that were annoying me and I had no part in the mods creation. Basically one other author made three posts in a very short space of time that equated to 'this mod conflcts with mine, I'm not gonna use it' which would be enough to annoy anyone. I cannot justify the banned authors response but to say that they were angry and due to locked threads cannot even go back and edit thier statements once they have calmed down.

This is something I'm glad I have been able to do many times as I often wake up grumpy after reading some bad criticizm and go slightly too far on a rant which then has to be edited (especially since humor and sarcasm do not translate too well into text alone). Also being angry can totally transform a person's personality, so all common sense and self-preservation can go straight out the window, even if it only lasts for a minute or two.

Both of these authors have been involved in the Nexus community probably for much longer than myself and have been resposible for some of the site's most popular mods, though I can think of others banned in similar circumstances too.

One proposal is that once an author achieves a certain number of downloads or endorsements they are afforded a few more privaledges (for being a benefit to the community), such as the ability to fully moderate thier own comments pages or an extra life on the three strike system (or just no instant-bans, one warning at least). Another option would be to gradient the ban period based on AP Scores which reflect a members overall presence within the Nexus. If someone has been around for ages and has a high AP then they only face a ban of three months or a year max. Repeated offenders can still be treated in a zero tolerance manner.

Also preferably there could be some way of re-instating said individual if they do get banned, perhaps with a poll. Once people have seen the effects of a ban they are much more likely to have learned a lesson, even if that is just to moderate thier own comments.

One proposal is that once an author achieves a certain number of downloads or endorsements they are afforded a few more privaledges (for being a benefit to the community), such as the ability to fully moderate thier own comments pages or an extra life on the three strike system (or just no instant-bans, one warning at least). Another option would be to gradient the ban period based on AP Scores which reflect a members overall presence within the Nexus. If someone has been around for ages and has a high AP then they only face a ban of three months or a year max. Repeated offenders can still be treated in a zero tolerance manner.

Also preferably there could be some way of re-instating said individual if they do get banned, perhaps with a poll. Once people have seen the effects of a ban they are much more likely to have learned a lesson, even if that is just to moderate thier own comments.

I disagree. Eligibility for Nexus membership should not be a popularity contest.

End users are a benefit to the community too - no value in a mod if there's nobody there to download it, so I don't see why they should be subject to what are sometimes overinflated ego's, bad tempers or real life problems problems being projected onto them if they don't deserve it. A simple solution is not to post if in a bad mood...

A person can already appeal against a ban. Having said that, if a person is upset, angry, annoyed, or whatever, then they should learn to keep that anger/frustration to themselves -- to quote Gene Hackman: "When you got somethin' to say... you say it in private. And if privacy doesn't permit itself, then you bite your f$cking tongue.".

There is no excusing bad behaviour in an adult. The idea that certain people be privileged because they have been around for a while, or they have lots of endorsements is quite frankly laughable. I think that Dark0ne has his finger on the pulse, and the moderating team on the Nexus do a fantastic job on his behalf.

Well if it had not have been for two of these authors in particular I would not even be modding. Without one I would not have known what was possible and without the other I would have had no motivation. The thought that these talents are lost on others beacuse or a few impolite words seems like a major waste and injustice to me even if it does seem fair in the short term. If I wanted I could draw paralells with censorship in other industries but I will refrain from doing so because I believe that the motivations behhind the actions are good in intention even if the end result is similar. I'm not saying that the current system is not good coz it is, but I feel there must be some room for leniency here and there.

Another alternative would be to have an optional adult 'anarchy' branch of the Nexus where anything goes (or most things anyway). I'm sure it would be a fun place to visit. Afterall the games the site is based on (FNV & FO3 at least) are full of swearing and insults. They just need to be in the correct context.

Seems unlikely but I thought I'd offer it as a suggestion.

There's a report button if someone in the comments is being a halfwit, modders should use that instead of going off on one. The staff here are very quick to deal with fools, there is no excuse for getting into an argument no matter how annoying someone is. Having a bad day is no excuse for abusing others.

I agree that it's sad to see a valuable modder who contributed great content to this community get banned.

I think the issue is one of *perceived* fairness - people will cry foul if they *perceive* a modder getting away with something that non-modders wouldn't be able to.

Imagine if a mayor, religious leader or another prominent community member commits a crime. If they receive a lighter than expected sentence or get let off completely, you can bet there will be a big backlash from the public.

From what I see, anyone who can pull off a significant mod will have a certain degree of patience and perseverance. Hopefully a modder that gets banned in a moment of anger can swallow their pride and write to the moderators pleading their case (or even just a sincere apology).

"What is good for the goose is good for the gander" was a popular quote a while back. It's meaning remains as valid now as it was then. In order for this to be a fair and enjoyable forum, everyone has to be held to the same standards. Anything less would quickly make this forum a whole lot less popular. I support all that the mods are doing to help keep the forum an enjoyable place for all who wish to abide by the rules.

I can understand the Nexus's policies when it comes to banning authors and thier reasons why and appreciate the effort the moderators put into keeping trolls and flamers from our sites. However even though I feel I have been here a relatively short time I have still seen many great modders come and go, getting banned for a variety of reasons but mostly just becuase they made a mistake.

Mentioning no names I know of one author (who requested to be banned at the time) who had been in a life threatening accident days before which is bound to put a person in an unusual frame of mind. Another author was putting up with posts upon the release of thier mod that were annoying me and I had no part in the mods creation. Basically one other author made three posts in a very short space of time that equated to 'this mod conflcts with mine, I'm not gonna use it' which would be enough to annoy anyone. I cannot justify the banned authors response but to say that they were angry and due to locked threads cannot even go back and edit thier statements once they have calmed down.

This is something I'm glad I have been able to do many times as I often wake up grumpy after reading some bad criticizm and go slightly too far on a rant which then has to be edited (especially since humor and sarcasm do not translate too well into text alone). Also being angry can totally transform a person's personality, so all common sense and self-preservation can go straight out the window, even if it only lasts for a minute or two.

Both of these authors have been involved in the Nexus community probably for much longer than myself and have been resposible for some of the site's most popular mods, though I can think of others banned in similar circumstances too.

I totally disagree with this post. I don't see how being a popular modder could infact give you special privileges simply because they "gave more to the community." A lot of the mod authors you indirectly mentioned went as far as they did BECAUSE they had the whole "I'm a popular modder, I can get away with this and that."

Fact of the matter is, they are not above regular members here. They get the same punishments and warnings that everyone else does. If they lose their self control thats their problem, they should have thought twice.