Why these forums?

Goliath978

This place isn't overrun with raving fanboys, you can actually discuss both the good and bad points here.

Yeah and last time I checked, there was only general discussion board. Which has always been retarded there.

Once the mod forums go live, I'll be back there. though it'll still be sucking major ass. It'll calm down in about a year or 2 years though. Then that is when most of all the good modders who still have a bit of decency are left, and it's actually fun and useful to talk shop :).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped posting on the Bethesda forums when they became the Bethesda forums.

They used to have a seperate forum for "The Elder Scrolls" line of games. Then they mashed that together with their other games and made each individual set of games a subforum... while a better move for the company as a whole, they didn't preserve the old data content.

I lost dozens of tutorials on modding that I had bookmarked (and weren't carried over to new forums), and as many if not more links to mods, TES lore discussion, et cetera. Also when this happened most of the knowledgeable game community left the forums so the knowledge left with it. What did we get in return on those forums for the brain-drain? Rabid fanboys and trolls :/.

Then gamefallout.com went defunct (which had some of the brightest modders ever in that community) so the Nexus and a small handful of other forums are all that's left. And I just prefer the Nexus for how clean and tidy they keep it.

I stopped posting on the Bethesda forums when they became the Bethesda forums.

They used to have a seperate forum for "The Elder Scrolls" line of games. Then they mashed that together with their other games and made each individual set of games a subforum... while a better move for the company as a whole, they didn't preserve the old data content.

I lost dozens of tutorials on modding that I had bookmarked (and weren't carried over to new forums), and as many if not more links to mods, TES lore discussion, et cetera. Also when this happened most of the knowledgeable game community left the forums so the knowledge left with it. What did we get in return on those forums for the brain-drain? Rabid fanboys and trolls :/.

Then gamefallout.com went defunct (which had some of the brightest modders ever in that community) so the Nexus and a small handful of other forums are all that's left. And I just prefer the Nexus for how clean and tidy they keep it.

This has been going on those forums for ages, there is an 'edge of the world' there, an old topics drop off the end of it as new ones are made. The oblivion mod forums moved so fast at one point that no thread was much older than 6 months. If it didn't get necro'd.. it would vanish not long after that. As it slowed pace, the topics now stretch back to 2 years ago. but they are still dropping of the edge...

Remember all the stuff from 2006-2008? There was so much useful content hidden around in those posts. It's a real shame actually.

I don't like it there. They close threads at the slightest hint of anything even slightly negative about their games, the moderators are snotty and think they're better than everyone else (you aren't even allowed to talk with them, period), any ideas or thoughts other than "I love all the Elder Scrolls games and they're all perfect!" get you accused of trolling/flaming even if expressed in an intelligent manner. I could keep going, but it would take all night.

they didn't preserve the old data content.

They NEVER have preserved data. Every thread that was not pinned would eventually become archived (their word for delete). Each and EVERY one. Even if you posted in it every once in a while, it would eventually hit the "200 max post" count and become locked...thus ensuring its doom.

While I was active over there, I tried my best to find and preserve the nuggets of gold by placing them on the wiki and the then Nexus Article database. The Resources for 3D modeling got its start as a thread at the official forums...which is no longer there.

My advice to anyone writing useful tutorials / info over there is to place it where it won't get lost...such as the CS wiki, Nexus wiki, other fan sites, etc. The more, the better...but never at the official forums which eventually purges everything. Even these forums are vastly superior to the official forums because we don't auto-delete any threads...you can find threads that was posted here a LOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG time ago. :thumbsup:

LHammonds

This place isn't overrun with raving fanboys, you can actually discuss both the good and bad points here.

Yeah and last time I checked, there was only general discussion board. Which has always been retarded there.

Once the mod forums go live, I'll be back there. though it'll still be sucking major ass. It'll calm down in about a year or 2 years though. Then that is when most of all the good modders who still have a bit of decency are left, and it's actually fun and useful to talk shop :).

Very true, the Morrowind boards over there are a good example, apart from the odd "OMG teh grafix sux" moron the discussion is very civilised.

I joined the Nexus for the mods at first, then I tried out helping people with their mod problems, and eventually after viewing the Beth forums, I decided that these forums had a far better layout. People debate here every now and then, but it's usually about silly stuff (which I've cut back on), so I'm fine with it.

Plus, people here are sooooo good at gathering information about stuff and actually help eachother. We've been on top of Skyrim. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/dance.gif

Edited by AltreU

Well to start these threads aren't full of Trolls, 12 year olds, and idiots who just blurt out spoilers and such. Most everyone is mature here and some are here for the mods, some are here just because they (myself included) think it is a better environment than the official forums.

^^Exactly.