Skyrim vs Fallout 4

zanity

I love the Fallout series, all of it. Played all of it. I love skyrim and TES. Played all of it. Somehow, Skyrim seems so....deep, so atmospheric, so alive. Fallout seems....good. I can't quite put my fingers on it. I love F4, but I recently went back to Skyrim, hoping an F4 flame will kindle again.

Curious, since Skyrim has a less reactive world than FO4 in it's vanilla state. You start out as John or Jane Doe and you cross the finish line as John or Jane Doe. Now I know there are mods taking care of that, but the NPC population simply doesn't react to anything you did. Apart from calling you Dovakhim off and on. That didn't change since Morrowind, where it also was up to the modders to make sure you're not treated like a toerag when leading the legion.

As I stated in my other post.. I think this has to a lot with the lore. Skyrim has tons and tons of books to read..., Many of those books are from past games and you've read them before or in some cases, experienced them.. If you are a reader, TES is pretty packed with a rich tapestry of history. Lots of the Fallout universes history is a complete and utter mystery.. Fallout just sort of lays there, desperately needing some stories from it's past. I think this is a big reason that so many people are confused by what Fallout is supposed to be. You aren't given enough information within the game to take that big leap into an alternate timeline.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I stated in my other post.. I think this has to a lot with the lore. Skyrim has tons and tons of books to read..., Many of those books are from past games and you've read them before or in some cases, experienced them.. If you are a reader, TES is pretty packed with a rich tapestry of history. Lots of the Fallout universes history is a complete and utter mystery.. Fallout just sort of lays there, desperately needing some stories from it's past. I think this is a big reason that so many people are confused by what Fallout is supposed to be. You aren't given enough information within the game to take that big leap into an alternate timeline.

I don't want to turn that into a conflict of different playing styles, since this is obviously mainly about tastes. I'm an avid reader IRL, but in games I rather experience stuff than reading every scrap of paper available.

So, my point, as well as yours stand. And in my case it's about how the world is able to draw you in. In short, how NPCs react to me and what I've done in and to the world, are kind of a big deal for me. And that, in it's vanilla state, is even more wanting than in FO4.

vyvexthorne

That's interesting. I have all of the fallout titles on my computer and occasionally play the older ones. I don't really know anything about previous Elder scrolls titles although I may have played one of the early ones. Its easy for me to jump right into Fallout but I'm kind of lost in Skyrim. I don't understand the historical references in Skyrim but I see lots of stuff in Fallout I remember. It seems like a totally different experience for each game based on the players previous experience with it.

I personally picked up the Elder Scrolls compilation for 30 bucks. This is what got me excited about Fallout 4. So I was BITTERLY disappointed by what a disappointment Fallout was. I didn't like Morrowind, it has the same problems as any Bethesda game, no real roleplaying, dialogue sucks and/or is non-existent. But I liked the combat for what it was, although I quickly downloaded a musket mod and went to town.

The thing is, Skyrim is a JOY to explore in, especially once you install better horses. It's beautiful, serene, and full of little place that are a joy to look at. Fallout 4 is ugly, and it's intntionally ugly. If Bethesda really was working with it's 210 years past apocalypse story, then you could make lots of unique, truly beautiful settlements made out of more than disused scrap. The cities of Skyrim are beautiful and I just love walking around in them, they feel like they're full of life and commerce and stuff. The settlemtns in Fallout 4 are small and barren in comparison. You could have a a Boston Commons as it is today, a beautiful park where people hang out and possibly you find spooks doing spook s#*!, new temples to new gods, Garden levels in the Vaults overflowing with life, and bigger Vault with atriums that look like the biggest malls with multiple stories looking down on each other, to give the impression these are cities underground. And they actually did this with the Institute.

I didn't expect multiple endings for side quests, that's too New Vegas, but I wanted them to be involved and fun. They were mostly point and shoots.

I don't like Elder Scrolls, I never have. But Skyrim was fun to explore because it was varied between monuments and ruins and cities and towns. Fallout 4 is ruins and ruins and more ruins. And I was hoping to have a beautiful exploration DLC like Honest Hearts, because Bethesda at least does that really really well.

They don't put heart or thought into their Fallout. They want to be cliche without ever exploring the possibilities of the Fallout world as a living, breathing, dynamic place.

I didn't like Morrowind, it has the same problems as any Bethesda game, no real roleplaying, dialogue sucks and/or is non-existent. But I liked the combat for what it was, although I quickly downloaded a musket mod and went to town.

That's because you played it today and not when it first came out in 2002. Believe me when I say, I considered it groundbreaking compared to other games at the time. It was also the first game, I tried my own hand at modding. Until I noticed that I'm sorely lacking in talent when it comes to scripting and turned iinto a leecher. Also the time when I first joined up with the nexus, until I lost my original account to the hacking attempt on here.

I didn't like Morrowind, it has the same problems as any Bethesda game, no real roleplaying, dialogue sucks and/or is non-existent. But I liked the combat for what it was, although I quickly downloaded a musket mod and went to town.

That's because you played it today and not when it first came out in 2002. Believe me when I say, I considered it groundbreaking compared to other games at the time. It was also the first game, I tried my own hand at modding. Until I noticed that I'm sorely lacking in talent when it comes to scripting and turned iinto a leecher. Also the time when I first joined up with the nexus, until I lost my original account to the hacking attempt on here.

Morrowind for me provided a tremendous sense of freedom, had an amazing atmosphere and a lot of dialogue options. The cliffracers seemed less annoying then than never-ending radiants do now, plus I never had enough of their wings to make my potions. What I did hate was early game constantly missing melee strikes and tribunal guards calling you scum (a species that would become extinct in the weeks to come).

What I did hate was early game constantly missing melee strikes and tribunal guards calling you scum (a species that would become extinct in the weeks to come).

A general Bethesda problem in unmodded games. You were always scum, regardless of what you did. Pretty much what I said earlier on, Bethesda never managed or was willing to make the NPC population recognize what you did.

As far as FO4 is concerned, I find myself playing the game in an entirely different way. I lost all interest in the main quest early on (kudos to the writers for that) and stick with creating settlements where I would like to hang out. So resource hunting and a provision of clean cloths for my population takes priority. With all the immersive settlement mods out, such as shutting NPCs up from calling me Synth or robber and singing settler, that's something keeping me occupied and happy.

But as far as Morrowind is concerned, I couldn't believe my luck when being able to explore a whole continent without being limited to levels. That was the groundbreaking part. If you fire it up today, with all the games being readily available and providing much more immersivness (is that a word?), you certainly won't be drawn in in the same way.

Edited by cossayos

A general Bethesda problem in unmodded games. You were always scum, regardless of what you did. Pretty much what I said earlier on, Bethesda never managed or was willing to make the NPC population recognize what you did.

If they wanted the lore to make more sense and quests to not be that bad (hey dragonborn/arch mage/master assassin etc can you look into this cave?)

If they wanted the lore to make more sense and quests to not be that bad (hey dragonborn/arch mage/master assassin etc can you look into this cave?)

Heh or a farmer asking you to deal with a dangerous bandit, before a dragon lands and the farmer starts punching it.

if there is no mod in this world , skyrim is the worst game i used to play and second are fallout 4

infact there are no need to compare , there are at the same level .

So here's a question - never played Skyrim but will pick up the remaster for sure, which console Mods should I look out for (with any luck assuming the great Mod war of 2016 is over by then) to improve it before I start? Caveat: i'm not interested in cheat/character uplift style mods, just "improve the story" mods.

dont try to play this game without mod 000

i think i am playing game in 2005 .