Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Ok, scratch the underclock thing, I just had a system fail even when I underclocked. Guess I was just lucky the last couple times.... or it COULD be that the CCC turned off my off my override and boosted GPU clock to 820...

Don't you just HATE it when your override is overridden?

Are you sure because i just underclocked by 50% and i played for a full 2 hours before it broke...

much better than the 15 mins i was getting before

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how I fixed it (had crashes after 2-3minutes, now I'm playing for 2 hours before crash):

went into my AMD VISION Engine Control Center -> Performance -> AMD Overdrive

there I've underlocked everything to minimum, GPU, memory and power.

I also put fan to 100%.

Then I turned on launcher, disabled shadows, AA, and put my settings from ultra to high. (not sure if there are specific options that have to be turned off, I turned off these because most people had success with it)

And now my GPU temperature doesn't go over 50C so I don't have crashes.

I'm pretty sure it's overheating because I've read about same cases in some other games (+my game lasts longer when I first start it when computer is cool). It also probably isn't problem in your GPU because for example, I can play any other game for as long as I want without crashes. It is probably something in Skyrim that doesn't limit your performance so it forces your GPU to work really hard even though it doesn't really have to. I think it's similar to a SC2 problem in beta when fps wasn't limited in menus so some people got their cards destroyed because they overheated in the freakin game menu.

So I would recommend 1st: don't mess with bios and turning of safety GPU power off etc because it can hurt your graphics card.

2nd underlock your graphic card, turn fans on to maximum and then just lower graphic options in game until it gets comfortable for your graphic card.

Thing is yesterday i played for about 4 hours from the start and some questing in Riverwood..then I wanted to proceed to Whiterun and my game keeps crashing since then..

If i load my last save game near Whiterun it crashes after seconds if I move towars Whiterun, even if my PC was turned off for hours..it´s just an instant crash..but I can go back to Riverwood and stay there for hours without crashing, so there has to be something wrong with the engine messing up the card drivers at some points in the game

Hope they fix this soon, I have some free time and Skyrim wont let me enjoy it ^^

Same here, random complete crashes. AMD HD 6950 1GB, Win 7 64. All drivers up to date, no OC.

However, at least some of them are reproducable: Right now Skyrim reliably crashes when I travel to a certain region (Saarthal) and activate combat mode - no crashes without combat mode, no crashes in another region with combat mode.

Has anyone else been able to reproduce a crash?

Same here, random complete crashes. AMD HD 6950 1GB, Win 7 64. All drivers up to date, no OC.

However, at least some of them are reproducable: Right now Skyrim reliably crashes when I travel to a certain region (Saarthal) and activate combat mode - no crashes without combat mode, no crashes in another region with combat mode.

Has anyone else been able to reproduce a crash?

yes the patch didn't do anything

also earlier i had my first crash indoors. it was the mine before redwood. the first bridge inside, right before that i took aim with my bow and at the end of the animation (arrow into bow and pulling the arrow) the game crashed.

this happened twice at pretty much the same spot ... so i'm suspecting these crashes aren't necessarily random

yes happened to me ^

Edited by rando3

Just checked: No matter the graphics settings, the game crashes - on the lowest settings and on the highest settings. Also made no difference whether I used Catalyst Control Center or the Skyrim Launcher for settings like AA and AS.

However, after playing a few minutes in another regions (no crashes), when I returned to the "crash area", the game still crashed, but took longer to do so and couldn't be triggered as reliably.

Maybe Skyrim sometimes corrupts files (mapfiles?) it loads and once the cache is emptied again, the problem doesn't occur anymore? Ah well, guess I'll have to wait for a patch.

I don't know how to solve the problem but atleast i know where it comes from..

It's the overheating of the gpu. It goes over 75-80oC and then it shut the pc down. My friend is playing skyrim (with the same graphic card as me, 6950 radeon) and his GPU temp does not go over 66oC.

Let's hope the patch will fix this.